Jeopardy!

i saw a small blurb on Ken last nite with replays in rapid fire fashion of his responses. Fascinating how well he has done.The funniest thing though was a lady with about 2000 left for Final Jeopardy and Ken had about 40,000Her answer written in ( and she bet it all) was: " whatever Ken's answer is " :'( :w00t: :D patio. B)

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epp_b

• ibe98765

• ebrke

• georgeg4

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken Jennings gets recognized by the NY Times. He is in his "15 minutes of fame" now. When do I get mine? :wub:

'Jeopardy' Millionaire Is Smart, but Is He a Genius?By JAMES GORMANNY TimesPublished: July 18, 2004KEN JENNINGS is pretty darned smart. By Friday, he had won more than $1 million over 33 straight shows on "Jeopardy,'' making him the game show's top money winner and longest-lasting champion. And he's still going strong.You've got to be bright and quick to win at "Jeopardy." You have to know a lot of things. And although the game is not chess in terms of complexity, or even checkers, there do seem to be some elements of strategy.But while everyone would agree you need smarts, is that the same thing as intelligence? For that matter, what do we really mean by intelligence?No one knows the answer to either question. Intelligence has preoccupied scientists and philosophers at least since Plato, but so far nobody has been clever enough to come up with a theory that everyone can agree on.One contender for the title of "Smart Enough to Say What Smart Actually Means" is Dr. Howard Gardner, the Hobbs professor of cognition and education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. His theory of multiple intelligences (at least seven, probably more) is built on the notion that we have been using one word to describe all sorts of abilities - linguistic, musical, logical-mathematical, spatial, interpersonal and others."Jeopardy'' draws on a particular ability, Professor Gardner wrote in an e-mail message. Usually, "what is being tested here is verbal memory,'' he wrote. "Have you read a lot (or, perhaps, have you heard a great deal) and can you remember the facts, names, dates, song titles, movie names, etc., that you read or heard about once or twice?"Complete article link

Well, Ken finally eclipsed the previous Jeopardy record in game #35 - his total now $1,164,660! Strangely, the bet he made in final Jeopardy, had he answered correctly, would have taken him to exactly $52,000, the one day record. He has consistently avoided betting the $1 more it would take to break this last record.I wonder how he would do on the questions in "Who wants to be a millionaire". Methinks he could make a career of being a permanent game player.

Its really odd how he's avoiding the records.He hasn't passed the one day totalNor has he passed the # of consecutive games (its 46- that must have been years ago before they instituted the 5 game limit)Whenever we are out now we tape Jeopardy...this last time though Mom only watched final Jeopardy to see if he won or not LOLNeedless to say Ken is becoming some kind of cult icon! B)

Nor has he passed the # of consecutive games (its 46- that must have been years ago before they instituted the 5 game limit)
I believe that the 46 numbe ris for ANY contestent on ANY game show that has ever existed, not just Jeopardy. He's up to 36 now, only 11 to go to pull ahead of the number. Should be a piece of cake. But may have to wauit until the fall season since Alex has been hinting that they are close to the summer repeats starting up.

Only $52,000 again last night.  Ken refuses to spring for the extra $1 that would break the single-game cash record.
Not anymore!  He went over the $52,000 record!  He got $75,000 in *ONE* game!!!  I think he did it because it's the end of the season

Not anymore!  He went over the $52,000 record!  He got $75,000 in *ONE* game!!!  I think he did it because it's the end of the season
talk about breaking the record...

georgeg4 Its starting to get boring( JUST KIDDING ) I just wish it was "ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  
I repeat He is really amazing

Great end to the Jeopardy season! Is there anyone who can stop this guy???? I want his brain examined! If memory serves me correctly, those who have been able to raise any sort of a challenge to him all seem to have been male. Wonder if this has something to do with how our brains are wired differently in each gender?If his talent in this show isn't some sort of idiot savant skill then he may turn out to be a person of great accomplishment in the future. I'm sure a lot of opportunities are going to come his way because of his performance on the show. Not only does he know most of the answers but he's witty and seems to be very personable. Wonder how he would do on a real-life, back-stabbing reality show like the Apprentice? Hmmmm.Alas, now we have to wait until September to see how long he can go on. I assume those shows are already in the can since Jeopardy isn't a live show.

Great end to the Jeopardy season!  Is there anyone who can stop this guy????  I want his brain examined!  If memory serves me correctly, those who have been able to raise any sort of a  challenge to him all seem to have been male.  Wonder if this has something to do with how our brains are wired differently in each gender?
I don't remember.
If his talent in this show isn't some sort of idiot savant skill then he may turn out to be a person of great accomplishment in the future.  I'm sure a lot of opportunities are going to come his way because of his performance on the show.  Not only does he know most of the answers but he's witty and seems to be very personable. Wonder how he would do on a real-life, back-stabbing reality show like the Apprentice?  Hmmmm.
I'm sorry, but "reality" shows really aren't reality. Their staged and exaggerated, and aren't worth being called "shows". Those TV circuses are for muscle-headed or ditzy goons that are too numb to get on any real shows like Jeopardy. Just IMO ;)
Alas, now we have to wait until September to see how long he can go on.  I assume those shows are already in the can since Jeopardy isn't a live show.
It'll be a great come-back.

A new one day record of $75,000 today, for a total of $1,321,660.I know Macbeth had a ghost, which other play did?
MacBeth, Hamlet, Richard III and one other which slips my mind right now.Ken had MacBeth and Richard III. Alex drove him nuts though...kept naming the ones that were WRONG (from the other players), said that MacBeth was right, named 2 others.....then after drawing it all out....said that Richard III was correct...Ken said "yer killing me here Alex!!! ;) Can't wait til Sept!

Who is Ken Jennings, Alex?'Jeopardy!' contestant's juggernaut has made him a game-show legend SF Chronicle- Peter Hartlaub, Chronicle Pop Culture CriticSaturday, July 24, 2004   Mentioning Utah software engineer Ken Jennings in the same sentence with Joe DiMaggio or Lance Armstrong would have been hard for most Americans two months ago. But as the latest season of "Jeopardy!" ended Friday, the milquetoast- looking trivia buff made a strong bid for the Mount Rushmore of great streaks -- reigning as champion for a record-shattering 38 consecutive days and counting. "This is unequivocally the most amazing feat in the history of TV game shows," said Steve Beverly, a broadcasting professor at Union University in Tennessee who runs www.TVgameshows.net. Jennings' first appearance was broadcast on June 1, and his record single- day bounty of $75,000 on Friday night's show raised his winnings to $1,321,660. His streak will be safe until the fall. "Jeopardy!" goes into reruns starting Monday and will return with new episodes in late September. The Brigham Young University graduate's tear actually began in February in Culver City (Los Angeles County), where "Jeopardy!" tapes five shows per day in front of a studio audience and stockpiles them for future use. Among the 74 competitors who have fallen are doctors, lawyers and academics -- including English teacher Lou Ascatigno from De La Salle High School in Concord. Full article

Great end to the Jeopardy season! Is there anyone who can stop this guy???? I want his brain examined!If memory serves me correctly, those who have been able to raise any sort of a challenge to him all seem to have been male. Wonder if this has something to do with how our brains are wired differently in each gender?If his talent in this show isn't some sort of idiot savant skill then he may turn out to be a person of great accomplishment in the future. I'm sure a lot of opportunities are going to come his way because of his performance on the show. Not only does he know most of the answers but he's witty and seems to be very personable. Wonder how he would do on a real-life, back-stabbing reality show like the Apprentice? Hmmmm.Alas, now we have to wait until September to see how long he can go on. I assume those shows are already in the can since Jeopardy isn't a live show.
i agree ii i think he might be an android with a 300terrabyte hard disk implanted somewhere inside . it i

The other play with a ghost was Julius Caesar, I think. Yes, much as I hate to admit it, the only other contestants I can remember giving Ken a run for his money were male. In addition to having a plethora of facts at his finger tips, his personal database manager must be using unique algorithms--his retrieval time is usually much faster than that of his opponents!Edit--When I followed one of the links above, I found that a woman was only $1,400 dollars behind him going into Final Jeopardy one day in June, so at least one woman gave him a real game.

• 2 weeks later...

It's already marked on my calendar! I usually watch Jeopardy every night, but I have missed a lot of the repeats they've been running for the last couple of weeks.