Jeopardy!

I'm reasonably sure that Ken and his immediately family signed a full contract, not an NDA. I'd bet that Jeopardy holds the money until his run ends and if word gets out as to exactly how long he lasted (and it came from him), he might lose some or all of the money.He seems to be a personable guy, witty and has a good sense of humor. Was it tonight that he referred to himself as a "nerd"? :thumbsup: Jeopardy is probably getting more publicity through both the media and word-of-mouth than they have ever gotten before. Hopefully, they'll get more viewers who will stay on after Ken eventually loses. I'm happy for the show because it's a fun and intelligent with a minimum of gimmicks, a rarity these days.It is becoming a bit predictable though, watching Ken repeatedly make mincemeat out of every challenger so far. Only a couple or three have made it a game by winding up with more than half of his total going into final though. Maybe they should move him around so he isn't always in the #1 position? Maybe he has too good a feel for that signaling button?Anyone for making Jeopardy an Olympic "sport"? :w00t: Ken's total winnings after his 27th game = $868,960! $131,040 to go to that cool $1,000,000. That would be ~3-5 more games at his current pace.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epp_b

• ibe98765

• ebrke

• georgeg4

Top Posters In This Topic

He absolutely trampled the competitors in game #28, and he's only ~ $80 grand away from a million! *And*, he also matched the $52,000 record one-game total!

littlebone

Just a general request, could y'all refrain from announcing results until the following day? Some of us live in other time zones. I know, I know, I could refrain from reading the posts until the next day, also. But then how would I know that the results for THAT day aren't in the post?

Just a general request, could y'all refrain from announcing results until the following day? Some of us live in other time zones. I know, I know, I could refrain from reading the posts until the next day, also. But then how would I know that the results for THAT day aren't in the post?
So get a dish :D JKI'll try to overcome the innermost impulsive need to update the thread :)

This is a recurring theme in a number of forums but there is no way to abide by your request with a show that is new every day (as opposed to a weekly show). Asking for others to follow your particular viewing schedule is not a reasonable nor fair request. Just don't read the thread until you've caught up with the show!As an aside, another forum HERE has implemented a tag called a SPOILER. Anything you put between the tags

blacks out the content between tags. You can see the content by running your mouse over the blacked out section. Look HERE for an example. Pretty neat.

This is a recurring theme in a number of forums but there is no way to abide by your request with a show that is new every day (as opposed to a weekly show).  Asking for others to follow your particular viewing schedule is not a reasonable nor fair request.  Just don't read the thread until you've caught up with the show!As an aside, another forum HERE has implemented a tag called a SPOILER.  Anything you put between the tags

blacks out the content between tags.  You can see the content by running your mouse over the blacked out section.  Look HERE for an example.  Pretty neat.

I LIKE your spoiler demo. We can do the same, with a little work:
This is how it would work! The actual color of this text is white on a white background.
Select the text in the quote box. It should show up as contrasting text on a dark background, depending upon your browser default colors for selected text. I can't mimic tags in a message, so pretend the curly braces that follow are open and close square brackets:{quote=SPOILER}{color=white}This is how it would work! The actual color of this text is white on a white background.{/color}{/quote}

I LIKE your spoiler demo. We can do the same, with a little work:
This is how it would work! The actual color of this text is white on a white background.
Select the text in the quote box. It should show up as contrasting text on a dark background, depending upon your browser default colors for selected text. I can't mimic tags in a message, so pretend the curly braces that follow are open and close square brackets:{quote=SPOILER}{color=white}This is how it would work! The actual color of this text is white on a white background.{/color}{/quote}
I just quoted the above "spoiler" demo, just to see how it would work if one quoted a spoiler.

Why did the text come out white? Don't you have to set it somewhere first?Mods: Can this be made an official tag so that one doesn't have to mess with text color or background?

This is how it works just manually type in( color=white) between the square brackets
read the above spoiler for your answer ibe98765]

When he won yesterday, Alex Trebec chided him for not betting an additional $1.00 so he could have gotten the record. Tonight, even though he did not get the Final Jeopardy answer, Alex did not compliment him for betting $14,000 of his $40,000. If he had been right, he would have had a $54,000 day and a new daily record.

He looks unstoppable! How long can he go on? And Alex is running dry on questions to ask him about in the interview segment each night.

He was actually hotter Monday night, but last night put him over the top! One thing I don't understand--Alex said that one other contestant had broken 1 million. Who in the world was that? How could you break a million when you could only stay for 5 days? Must have been one of the champion tournaments.

RichNRockville
He was actually hotter Monday night, but last night put him over the top!  One thing I don't understand--Alex said that one other contestant had broken 1 million.  Who in the world was that?  How could you break a million when you could only stay for 5 days?  Must have been one of the champion tournaments.
I believe that Alex was referring to another game show. where the millionaire program gave away a million dollars.I don't think that Jeopardy ever had anyone win that much, I think the greatest on Jeopardy was around $187,000 by another contestant after they changed the rules to allow unlimited returns.

I believe that Alex was referring to another game show. where the millionaire program gave away a million dollars.I don't think that Jeopardy ever had anyone win that much, I think the greatest on Jeopardy was around $187,000 by another contestant after they changed the rules to allow unlimited returns.
There was another $1M winner, who did it in one of the special shows:Jeopardy summaryFrom the above link:
Q: Who is the all-time winner?A: The all-time winner is Brad Rutter a 24-year-old record store employee and certified network administrator with five wins totaling $55,102 and a new car in regular season play, $100,000 in the Jeopardy! 2001 Tournament of Champions winnings and $1,000,000 as winner of the Million Dollar Masters for a total of $1,155,102 in CASH. Brad's total winnings, including the value of the car, are $1.2 million.
Of course, Ken Jennings still has the tournament of champions still ahead of him. I assume he will be invited. I imagine the other champions who know that they are due to compete against him are getting a little worried.

$1,000,000 as winner of the Million Dollar Masters for a total of $1,155,102 in CASH
Hmmm, getting $1 million because you win one game seems different than actually accumulating $1 million game by game, but I guess I'm splitting hairs. Anyway, despite a couple of bad moments, Ken prevailed again last night.

Of course, Ken Jennings still has the tournament of champions still ahead of him. I assume he will be invited. I imagine the other champions who know that they are due to compete against him are getting a little worried.
against who :whistling: o:) :P :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

against who :whistling:  o:)  :P  :hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:
I meant that there are other 5+ game winners who will be competing in future tournament of champions contests. Ken Jennings will be there, too. Those other champs will have to compete against Ken and must be a little worried.Is that the answer to what you were asking?

SonicDragon
and certified network administrator
I think i'm starting to see a trend here ;) I always knew that us techies were pretty bright :)

I think i'm starting to see a trend here  ;) I always knew that us techies were pretty bright  :)
See the first post in this thread :DBTW, he did win today, right? I didn't get around to watching it today.

I think Ken's play is getting a little sloppy in the last few games. He is not betting smart in some of the daily double answers. He came close to putting himself in real "jeopardy" on Thursday before contestent #3 got a couple wrong answers and self-destructed. Maybe he is getting a little tired of this gig?Is there going to be a tournament of champions? If Ken stays alive, it could take them a long time to gather enough 5 time minimum winners...

It’s another incredible victory for Ken Jennings! On the Thursday, July 15TH edition of JEOPARDY!, Ken won $28,000. His stats are truly unbelievable: 32 shows, $1,050,460!
JEOPARDY! CHAMPION SOARS BEYOND$1 MILLION ON AMERICA’S FAVORITE QUIZ SHOW®Television Phenomenon Ken Jennings of Salt Lake CityContinues Historic Winning Streak  (CULVER CITY, CA) July 14, 2004 — Answer: He just broke the million-dollar mark and continues to shatter all JEOPARDY! records. The correct question: Who is Ken Jennings? Yesterday on JEOPARDY!, amiable software developer Ken Jennings from Salt Lake City soared beyond the $1 Million Dollar cash-winning milestone. Jennings’ Tuesday, July 13 episode marked his 30th consecutive appearance, and made the 30-year-old wunderkind a newly minted millionaire, with a whopping total so far of $1,004,960. Quick on the buzzer and well-versed in topics from Rock Music to Opera (“Who is Kurt Cobain?†and “What is Madame Butterfly?†were among his over 1,000 correct responses so far), the champ has steadily averaged over $33,000 per JEOPARDY! episode.A rule change introduced in the Fall of 2003 lifted JEOPARDY!’s five-day win limit, allowing contestants the opportunity to continue earning winnings as long as they remain victorious. “When we changed the rule, we declared that the Sky’s the Limit for JEOPARDY! Champions, and boy, oh boy, has Ken certainly proven that true,†says JEOPARDY! host Alex Trebek.Jennings grew up attending schools in Seoul, Korea, and Seattle, Washington, as well as in Utah, and graduated from Brigham Young University with a B.S. in Computer Science and double major in English. He also spent two years in Spain on a mission for the LDS Church. He currently develops software for CHG Companies, Inc., one of the nation's largest providers of healthcare recruiting and staffing services. Described as “the guy next door with a great personality,†Jennings has become a media darling this summer. Featured in People magazine, on popular morning shows and in late night opening monologues (he recently delivered the famed “Top 10 List†on Late Show with David Letterman), Jennings says he is just as comfortable staying at home with his wife Mindy and playing with their year-and-a-half-old son Dylan and dog Banjo. As well, he cites hiking, writing and watercolor and acrylic painting as treasured pastimes.The previous JEOPARDY! record-holder, Tom Walsh from Washington, D.C., a former policy advisor to the Senate Finance Committee, won seven shows and earned $184,900 in January 2004.JEOPARDY!, a winner of 24 Emmy awards since its debut in 1984, was recently listed among “The Greatest Game Shows of All Time†by TV Guide, and continues to be a ratings champion. The series is the #1-rated quiz show in syndication, and has held that title for over 1,000 weeks.http://www.jeopardy.com/gena.pjw?cont=_ken...&cat=contestant

against whoI meant that there are other 5+ game winners who will be competing in future tournament of champions contests. Ken Jennings will be there, too. Those other champs will have to compete against Ken and must be a little worried.Is that the answer to what you were asking?
I was just being funny littlebone ( or at least i was trying to be :) ) :worthy: :bounce: :w00t: :clap: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :w00t:

Win #33 Friday evening. Total winnings now $1,100,460 . He was far enough ahead of the other players to have safely gone for that $52,000 one day record tonight. All he needed to bet was $2,001 more dollars. But he continues to refuse to do this. What's up with this? Maybe he is superstitious?Alex seems a bit flustered. He has no more questions to ask him, resorting to "tell us something we don't know about you"? Ken's reply was funny though. After a moments thought he replied "I once killed somebody down south". :'( Which sounds suspiciously like a line from a movie (but I couldn't find a hit on Google). Alex had no glib reply in return...

SonicDragon
He was far enough ahead of the other players to have safely gone for that $52,000 one day record tonight. All he needed to bet was $2,001 more dollars. But he continues to refuse to do this. What's up with this? Maybe he is superstitious?
I was thinking the same thing...