Where does GnuCash store its data?

Webb

I need to keep GnuCash synchronized across a Windows 8.1 rig and an XP rig.

I installed it on both machines but entered the data only on the 8.1 rig.

Now I have found that it will run as a PortableApp and I think that may be a little easier to synchronize. I'll just have to copy the profile back and forth.

I spent an hour or so inputting data into the un-portable version and I'd like to copy the data from the unportable version to the portable version but I don't know where it is.

Does anyone know which files I need to copy? I found some information in my Windows profile and some in the GnuCash folders.

I've never needed to sync between two machines, but in the past when setting up a new machine, I've just moved a copy of my GnuCash data file to the new machine and opened it with the GnuCash software. The web site at your link just says "File Location: Be careful to save your GnuCash financial file to your portable device" so I'd guess the same thing may apply in your situation. I've moved GnuCash data to new machines in linux and windows and haven't had any problems.

On second thought GnuCash is more trouble than it's worth.

All I need to do is run 3 bank accounts and print business checks.

I'm going to try TurboCash but if anyone has more suggestions I'd like to hear them. I prefer portable applications just because the don't scatter files all over my HD.

Thanks LilBambi but I have already uninstalled it as being too complicated.

This has turned into a search for a checkbook that isn't designed to work for a Fortune 500 corporation but can keep track if three bank accounts and print checks and reports.

I tried TurboCash but it was too complicated. Quicken98 is just too old and doesn't work well. MoneyManagerEx says it can print reports but I haven't tried yet and it won't print checks.

If a program won't print checks I may as well keep my DOS checkbook that is copyrighted 1994. I don't know how long I've had it but 1994 sounds about right. I can run it under DOSBox and print checks with a word processor.