phoenix bugs

Temmu

i did a search on phoenix tags in the forum and got no returns, so... :lol: my phoenix, in help about is:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4a) Gecko/20030320 Phoenix/0.5 :D but cannot use the tags in the forum. ;) (i can manually add them, but selecting a phrase and clicking bold worketh not.)so i use i.e. if i know i'm going to do a lot of typing... B)

GolfProRM

Yeah... I've noticed that Firebird doesn't quite do the tags right. It will automatically place the tag (no matter what it is) at the end of the message... You can't even select text and put tags around it (like Temmu said). I've gotten into the habit of just typing out the tags (once you get used to it, it's almost faster). The Close all tags feature doesn't work quite right either (AFAIK). The thing to remember is that all the buttons work, they just put everything at the end of the message... If you use them as you type, it's no issue. If you prefer to go back and add formats, then it's a pain! :DI would guess that by the time they get to 1.0, it'll be fixed (no guarantees though :( )

Prelude76

actually, i get the same thing in Mozilla 1.3not enough for me to go back to IE.. i just insert the Tags as i go

ok, then i'll continue to be ie free too.i'm using a cool skin called phoenix flame, black w/flames in the buttons. :( appropriate for a phoenix, yes? :( goes really well with my mostly black and blue xp theme & crystal background. very cool. :(

here's another thing - if spawning a new window from an existing one, it opens the same size as the original - ie opens to the last-closed size that's no biggy, just noticed.

GolfProRM
here's another thing - if spawning a new window from an existing one, it opens the same size as the original - ie opens to the last-closed size that's no biggy, just noticed.
new windows? bah!! My stuff only opens in tabs :) :Dnever messed with resizing stuff and new Windows, so can't help you there... :)

sheesh.so i go to the burn-the-iso-image utility (in another topic) and click on the link to DOWNLOADguess what happens? :unsure:it downloads... sorta.i watch the screen fill up with jibberish - obviously the proram's 'coding' :oanyway.i had to open IE to download it. :ph34r:

Temmu... The reason the file opened as code is because it's a .msi file (MicroSoft Installer)... You can always right click on the link and hit 'Save Link As...' That will save the file instead of opening it as a text file... This is a legitimate bug though, and I'll be sure and report it :)

Well so far as I can tell the "Bulleted Lists" are a bit off. It does a but of image reloading too but hopefully that goes away. I have noticed that the smilies need to reload every time. Just a bit anoying. So far I like it. I'll have to get used to going to my bookmarks or to the address bar and typing there again. I've used cntl-O to open in IE for years.Also the Google bar is cool. No need to go back to the Google site all the time for searches.Chris

I like to listen to Shoutcast Radio streams. My media player for these is QCD. With Mozilla 1.2.1 I was able to configure it to play these (.PLS and .m3u), when clicking on the link. With Firebird 0.6 it now will go straight to 'save' these links to disk, I no longer get the box that used to ask if I want to 'open', with the appropriate program, or save option, with the familiar 'always ask' check box.Can't seem to find anything in 'Options' or the installed 'Advanced Preferences' to try to fix this.Am I missing something here? Any ideas?Thanks

I like to listen to Shoutcast Radio streams. My media player for these is QCD.  With Mozilla 1.2.1 I was able to configure it to play these (.PLS and .m3u), when clicking on the link.  With Firebird 0.6 it now will go straight  to 'save' these links to disk, I no longer get the box that used to ask if I want to 'open', with the appropriate program, or save option, with the familiar 'always ask'  check box.Can't seem to find anything in 'Options' or the installed 'Advanced Preferences' to try to fix this.Am I missing something  here?  Any ideas?Thanks
if you download the Preferential Extension, there is a setting that allows you to force the browser to always ask about a download... Install the extension (if you haven't already), go to Tools -> Advanced Preferences...Expand the Browser tab -> browser.helperApps Using the alwaysAsk tab you can set the alwaysAsk.force string to true so it always asks what to do with every download... OR Using the neverAsk tab you can set specific extensions for which the browser will automatically Open/Save :) Hope this helps! :lol:

Using the alwaysAsk tab you can set the alwaysAsk.force string to true so it always asks what to do with every download...ORUsing the neverAsk tab you can set specific extensions for which the browser will automatically Open/Save
Hey Ryan,Gave it a go, both ways no luck, no change. I now get the box for normal downloads, but not on these pesky radio/mp3/.PLS streams. In never ask, I just typed in the mime type, audio/x-scpls (I hope this is the correct mime type). Is there more required? In Mozilla I put that in the box and then told it to always use QCD (media player).Can you take a peek and see if it is just me? Click on 'tune in'. ShoutcastThanks.

Gus... I would try creating a new Mozilla Firebird profile... When I clicked on a shoutcast server (never have before using Firebird), I had the option to open it with default app/open it with... (browse)/save it.... I could then check the box to always show this dialog, giving me the choice everytime...You can create a new profile by running firebird (and adding the -p extension)"C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird.exe" -p (for example)... This will allow you to create a new profile and then you can import your bookmarks, etc. into that new profile if that works for you....

Hey Ryan,All cool now, back in business. The new profile did it. Thanks for all the effort.P.S. I'm so glad you changed your avatar, the Gates thing was making me ill. :D

Glad to hear you got everything working... Creating a new profile is always a good idea if you're running into problems... After so long, it's hard to remember what's been done so sometimes it's just a good idea to start fresh :)P.S. Since the conflict was resolved, I decided it was best to retire the Jedi :D

Anyone notice the MozillaFirebird milestone 0.6 being a bit buggier than previous builds? And have you noticed the Netscape Quality Feedback agent popping up when it does?

Peachy... I kind of wondered about that myself... I didn't stick with the milestone here at work (keep running nightly builds here), but my home PC hasn't really loved the milestone... Firebird very rarely crashes on me (any build), but this Milestone has a couple times... Never had any issues with the talkback window popping up though... I'm running the 5/21 build here at work and so far so good with it! It seems to be a better build than the milestone IMO...

I notice on the Mozilla Firebird forumsthat we're not the only ones having some problems with the milestone release. Some Mozilla folks are warning that the integration of peripheral Mozilla software into the milestone build has caused this problem. Because of this, like Peachy, I've decided to go back to nightly builds. And I'm looking for a good stable one. So if y'all find one you like, let me know which one it is. We can compare notes. I'm looking to do a write-up in the newsletter, but I don't want to wind up with a bad experience because of a buggy build.-- Scot

Guest LilBambi

Have you tried deleting everything (or uninstalling if you used the new installer) and going back to the .5 stable build?I am still quite happy with .5 stable build. I plan on upgrading when they get it right ... since it works great, I hate to upgrade till I know it is working right.

The biggest thing preventing me from using Firebird more often is the resource usage in Win98SE. It takes up a lot of memory on start (not unexpected, though) but that isn't the big problem. As time goes on my resources get lower and lower until they start getting near the danger zone. I've never had this problem with a web browser in the past. I can understand the opening of new tabs taking up a bit of memory, but when I close that tab I would expect the browser release the memory when it's closed. When I close the browser the resources return to a point where they should be, so it's not a total loss.Anybody else experiencing this? If not, would downloading one of the nightly builds be a good idea to see if a newer version has this problem on my system?Version information for those that are interested:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030516 Mozilla Firebird/0.6

Cluttermagnet
The biggest thing preventing me from using Firebird more often is the resource usage in Win98SE.  It takes up a lot of memory on start (not unexpected, though) but that isn't the big problem.  As time goes on my resources get lower and lower until they start getting near the danger zone.  I've never had this problem with a web browser in the past.  I can understand the opening of new tabs taking up a bit of memory, but when I close that tab I would expect the browser release the memory when it's closed.  When I close the browser the resources return to a point where they should be, so it's not a total loss.Anybody else experiencing this?  If not, would downloading one of the nightly builds be a good idea to see if a newer version has this problem on my system?Version information for those that are interested:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030516 Mozilla Firebird/0.6
Bingo! That's pretty close to what is happening to me in Win98SE, except that I have _not_ noticed much of a memory hit at all when I start the first instance of Firebird. It probably is 'real', and would be called a 'memory leak' bug, I imagine. I read a little about bug reporting in Mozilla and it started to get so involved and take on a life of its own, I eventually realized I was going to need about a 3 day intensive before I could write up an acceptable bug report. So I passed the buck and just let it go, figuring that enough of the Mozilla 'regulars' would pick up on this. But who Knows? Hopefully they fixed this long ago. The Mozilla community is not quite as uptight as some Linux types (not in this forum, thank goodness!), but they do seem a wee bit touchy about half-baked posts, so I figured I would spare them. ;) FWIW, I'm using the 'milestone' release 0.6 of MozillaFirebird. It doesn't sour me at all to Firebird- I will continue following it with interest, but that sure is one heck of a memory leak! Shutting down all instances of Firebird immediately brings everything 'back to life' (no reboot needed).

Hawkfan & Cluttermagnet -The "memory leak" has been an off-and-on problem with Firebird. I've noticed it in past builds, and then a couple builds later, it goes away. The problem is that it doesn't always stay "fixed." Depending on the nightly (I'm running the 5/21 build right now, with a slight leak, not too bad though), it comes and goes. I figure they'll get it figured out by the time it goes to full release status, but I'm guessing they're having problems figuring exactly where the leak is at... I'm downloading the latest nightly right now and will give a report later.

The "memory leak" has been an off-and-on problem with Firebird.  I've noticed it in past builds, and then a couple builds later, it goes away.  The problem is that it doesn't always stay "fixed."  Depending on the nightly (I'm running the 5/21 build right now, with a slight leak, not too bad though), it comes and goes.  I figure they'll get it figured out by the time it goes to full release status, but I'm guessing they're having problems figuring exactly where the leak is at...
Well, if anything you've confirmed for me that I wasn't imagining things....always a good thing to know. :D I'll keep an eye out here for your report...

Interesting bug they're trying to work out in any version newer than 5/23... The backspace key does NOT work as a back button like it used to. At this point, if you frequently use the backspace key as a back button (I know I do), I'd recommend sticking with the 5/23 build until they get this fixed... (only if you're using nigtlies). I'll be sure and report when they fix this bug.

The backspace key does NOT work as a back button like it used to. At this point, if you frequently use the backspace key as a back button (I know I do)
Interesting, what with back buttons on keyboards and on mice (they both work right), the backspace key seems like an awkward choice.

Gus... I'm not sure what exactly the deal is, although I know it's a problem dealing with getting the backspace key to recognize whether it should be a backspace or a "back button"... At work where I only have a standard wheel mouse and a plain keyboard, the backspace key is my friend... at home, I rarely use it because my mouse has a back button... Should be getting fixed soon though....