Sea Monkey mail client

longgone

I currently use Sea Monkey for both browser and email. Here is the problem I have just recently (last two days) encountered with Sea Monkey mail client. I am unable to delete any of the email messages. I can click on a specific email message, then select delete but the only thing that happens is that I get the hour glass icon and the page goes to a transparent grey and it stays that way until I restart the computer. I have not a clue as to what is causing this nor how to correct it. Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

I did come across this on a site called codeverge.com relating to Seamonkey and deleting emails:

I think I've sorted this one. My only known issue is with deleting

messages. Killing all SM processes, I've gone into my profile directory

and deleted the Mail\Trash.msf file, then restarted SM. Prior to this,

anytime anything was selected for deletion, that's when SM stops playing

nice. The clue this time was that I could click on any folder/subfolder

in my folder pane with instant results, but clicking on 'Deleted' gave

me a blank message thread pane and a cursor with an hourglass. Soon as

I clicked on something else the hourglass disappeared and everything

worked normally.

First tried to go through SM email account prefs to change the pointer

for Deleted, but there's no GUI option to change that one folder

destination. So I did it the hard way. For now, SM seems to be happy.

I've also heard that in just about any email app emptying, repairing and compacting the Trash folder may help.

Edited by ebrke

After a little more nosing around I have found out a bit more on this problem. I d/l'd Thunderbird email client and let it get all the messages that were available on the server, then selected a few messages to delete and T/B worked fine. I then selected the suspect message in T/B that gave me the fits in SM, the results between the two are exactly the same and every message I click on after that one specific message ends up the same way in both email clients. The hour glass icon, grays the page and for a lack of a better description it grays it out.

I don't know about that, but what I did do is make sure the trash was empty, then, i uninstalled SM, re-installed it and did something I usually don't do , which is use the next button and went through all the unread emails. After that I tried, successfully to delete a few of them. After that I deleted all the ones that I could not do earlier and when I came to the one that I was suspect of it got the junk then delete and so far it seems all is good.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

What email provider?

Are you accessing via POP3 or IMAP?

If IMAP, go to the provider's webmail page and delete the mail from there. Then re-sync with your Seamonkey/TB.

Eric,,,, using the SM email client and it is a POP3 type system. Update to this too, after doing what I mentioned earlier I seem to have fixed the problem. Everything works as it should. I did go into the control panel and delete several items which I saw no need to have in the first place too so that might have helped.

• Like 1