Windows 7 Registry locked preventing default browser update

macdunn

Hi all,

I have an Intel NUC with the Core i5 processor and the WDC Black2 HDD (120GB SSD combined with a 1TB mechanical HDD) which I am really happy with as a piece of hardware. THe small footprint is comparable to the Mac Mini and more expandable.

Okay, I am running Win7 Ultimate on it, essentially because I have used Windows (and early Mac OS) since the beginning and because my clients all use Windows and have been upgraded to Win7 (thank goodness not to Vista).

I have been running Win7 64bit Ultimate on this machine since I purchased it in April 2014, with relative few issues. Recently I have had major problems with Win7, in part related to the Intel video driver, I think. So, I have had to blow away the installation on Win7 64bit Ultimate and reinstall from the original DVD.

No sweat, really. However (here comes the question...), with this install on the Intel NUC, I cannot set either of my other browsers - Chrome nor Firefox - as the default browser. Nor can I set my email client - Eudora Pro 7 - as the default email program. I did not have this problem with my original install of the same Win7 on the Intel NUC.

When I click on Set browser (both Chrome and Firefox) as default browser, I get no messages. The next I open one of them and the automatic check for default is run, I get the message that the browser is not set as the current browser, do I want to set it as default.

When I open Eudora Pro, I get a message - Eudora was unable to update the system registry. Your default mail program has not been changed. At least here I get a dialog message which might be pointing to the root of the problem. I say that even though I have tried during this installation (December 2014) to do nothing different from when I first installed back in April 2014.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is and what to do to be able to set my default browser and email client to something other than Microsoft programs? In part this is frustrating because I am in Europe and the EU government took MS to the EU court 10 years ago and won action that MS must make it possible (and easy) to change the default browser.

I know that the interface of Win7 uses IE as it display program, but I did not have this problem with my previous Intel NUC / Win7 installation nor with Win7 64bit Ultimate installed on a Dell Inspiron 410 (Zino) (factory-installed).

TIA,

-Mac-

You've probably done this already, but did you try through Windows Control Panel Default Programs settings? Here's link to what I mean:

http://www.sevenforu...sociations.html

Here's another link at Mozilla Support for this problem:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/setting-firefox-default-browser-does-not-work

Edited by ebrke

Hello,

Try re-running the installers for the two web browsers and selecting the Run as Administrator option when installing them.

For Qualcomm Eudora Pro 7.x, try running the program once using the Run as Administrator option, let it check mail once by pressing Ctrl+M, and then exit after it finishes downloading. Run it again as you normally do, and I suspect the request to update the system registry will no longer occur.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thanks for both of the suggestions. Unfortunately, neither has solved the problem. And, a bigger problem has raised its head and I will be reinstalling Win7 Ultimate on the machine in question.

Thanks!

-Mac-

Hi Bambi,

First, let me extend my condolences for your recent loss.

Second, the bigger problem is that the Windows 7 Ultimate which I purchased from a third-party seller on Amazon.de (Deutschland/Germany) was/is, unknowingly to me, illegal. When I installed in April, 'the boys from Redmond' had not done anything about it. Now, having had major problems - trojans during a one week break with my AV program and problems caused, I think, because of a new video driver, I ended up reinstalling the same copy of Win7. Well, three days after I entered the Product Key, during the activation process, I got a dialog box saying that the key was blocked by a server at Microsoft.

I called customer service and I was told that the product was illegal, bootlegged. But, I purchased it through Amazon, I said, and it has all of the seals, holographs, etc. (Hey, I know, these things are faked daily. I am an international software/database system developer working with software people worldwide, third-world countries, war zones (post-war Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. I have seen films and software in the bazaars regularly.) It is real product. I checked my Amazon purchases online for the date, etc. Then, I called back (BTW, their support is also in the Philippines. Very good support. Nothing but kudos from me) and was now told that that was a product which had been shipped to a developer, member of MSDN (I have been one myself, especially during the initial beta of Win7), and was not a product to be resold. Since I had installed it for a second or third time (always on the same machine), they seemingly had checked its past and decided that it was an illegally resold product. I called MSDN support, though I am no longer active with them, and was told all of this and that there is nothing I can do except purchase a new product (Ouch! lost Euro 120 for the first and must now pay Euro 189 for a second!).

IMHO, I think the locked registry may be MS's way of controlling the product until it is completely activated. But, that is speculation. Anyway, that is the bigger problem, as well as coming up with the extra money (unplanned) from my small retirement (I work now when I get assignments, but...).

I hope noone starts harping on, 'you get what you pay for', etc. I thought it was simply a small dealer who had overstock and had to move it. Even Euro 120 is not cheap for something which should be lower-cost (or free as Flynn thinks in TRON Legacy, yes, I watched it again last night, and it is a legal copy (wait for it...) purchased directly from Amazon.de, not a third-party reseller).

When I worked for a DoD contractor on the 'reconstruction of Iraq' in Baghdad in 2005, bootleg copies of the newest version of Star Wars were available in the shops two days after release in the US. I asked an FBI agent who was there fighting terrorism about the copies he had bought. He said, 'oh, I leave them with the chaplain here when I leave'. Seriously. I have seen this in Afghanistan, where I have worked on USAID and UN projects, as well. When I co-taught software development techniques to software developers (NOT hackers) in Pakistan in 1997, I saw a xerox copy of a programmers' book I had written in a store. And, not just films. Hey, we read about it daily - counterfeiting of any and all products - watches, shoes, electronics, films, software. I am not condoning it, I am just saying that it is the greater act of economic terrorism. Heck, I worked 30 years ago in tech support at (again, wait for it...) MicroPro and I took the first tech support call for WordStar 2000 which was the first commercial software program with copy protection. Talk about the calls, and they were not 800 calls, and only 8AM to 4:30PM PST time. None of this 24/7 support because of the low-paid off-shore call centres. The Filipinos I have talked with for my problems with eBay (an earlier thread here) and now Microsoft have been highly competent, and deserving of the jobs and compliments.

I have an interrum solution to this, but I am testing the solution, and the forum is not the place to discuss it.

Thanks for listening, and Bambi, again, my condolences.

-Mac-

Edited by macdunn
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Hi Mac, thank you for your condolences. Much appreciated.

So sorry about being taken by someone who sold a MSDN copy of Windows and then stops paying for it. It's only good for as long as the person was paying for the annual fee. That really stinks.

I wish you well and hope all goes well with your situation in the future.

Mac, is there any chance you can get any satisfaction from Amazon? Even if it was third-party, it was through their site, and I think I remember reading that they have taken responsibility in some other cases (wish I could be more specific).

Hi ebrke,

Hard to tell. Unfortunately, I purchased it in Dec. 2013 and did not install it until April 2014. The seller may say there is no way to prove it came from. At least no way to prove it without getting Microsoft involved and I doubt I can get them involved. Or, not easily even though they say that they pursue abusers.

I will be trying with Amazon, but this is not a good time of year to get anything done with them other than making purchases. But, that is a reason I am less hesitant to buy from a third-party seller through Amazon rather than from a seller on eBay. They might debit the seller's account, but the seller's account is now inactive. The seller has a 25% negative feedback for the last 365 days and a total 13% bad feedback, with total number of 16 feedbacks, though who knows how many did not give feedback. The first sale by this person was in August 2013 and the last sale was in January 2014. Seller's 'name' on Amazon is ilimma8 .

Here is the Contact Seller email I have just now sent through Amazon --

I purchased this Windows 7 Ultimate OS from you from Amazon.de on 30 November 2013 for Euro 119.00. Because of a computer crash on 10 December 2014, I had to reinstall the Windows program / OS on the same computer. When I tried to activate it, Microsoft had blocked it because it was an illegal copy. With calls to Microsoft Customer Service and then to Microsoft Developers Network, I was told that this a "developer's copy" and is NOT FOR RESALE. When Microsoft detected it being re-install, they checked their registry and saw that it was resold illegally.

I want my money back. If I get no satisfaction, I will be reporting you to Amazon and will get your name and address from Amazon and will pass that information back to Microsoft.

-end of email

I see that Amazon.de is selling (themselves, not a third-party seller) Win7 Ult. for Euro 157, less than it was in Dec. 2013.

Okay, while I have been writing the last paragraph, a answer has come from Amazon.de that the seller is no longer registered as a seller and is not receiving emails. So, next step is to try to get a name and address.

I will keep this thread posted as I get or don't get results.

I have to wonder, regarding Bambi's statement that a MSDN copy is only good as long as the account is active, if MS is actively pinging installations which have already been running for a while (installed while the developer's account is/was active) or if MS only takes action if there is an attempt to install or re-install after the account is inactive.

As I mentioned earlier, I am from the industry, but if MS can go out and turn off a product any time they want, I am not a happy camper. Except for this piece of product, all of my software is legal, and this illegal piece was not purchased intentionally.

Thanks for questioning the next possible step.

-Mac-

• Like 1

I can believe that. >_<

You will love this one - Germany is heavily unionised. Goes back to the days of guilds. Well, on Monday (8 Dec.), I think it was, the warehouse workers' union of Amazon.de held a one-day strike for better pay and working conditions. And, Amazon has still promised holiday deliveries. Well, they are also VERY heavily promoting Amazon Prime services in the last six months.-Mac-

Hello,

As far as I know, all Microsoft does with counterfeit copies of Microsoft Windows 7 is to disable personalization features (themes, wallpaper, etc.), display warnings that the software may not be genuine and no longer allow non-security updates to be downloaded via Windows Update. Microsoft does not otherwise do anything like corrupt the registry or interfere with third-party software.

The fact that you purchased a "commercial-grade" counterfeit version of Windows, complete with box and holograms, etc., may entitle you to purchase a genuine license from Microsoft, after you have submitted a Counterfeit Software Report to them at www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/cfr/report.aspx.

You should also probably make a report to your local police agency. While there may not be anything they can do immediately, this will at least generate a record which may be useful in the future, especially if the counterfeiter starts selling their wares again on Amazon in the future.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Hi Aryeh,

What I remember, with my aging brain cells, from the beta of Win7 is that MS can actually disable Win7 remotely. But, how long ago was the beta - 2009? So, I could be wrong.

The support people at MS did not suggest any purchase from MS other than full priced.

It is not a counterfeit copy, it is a developers' copy which is Not For Resale. Though I have to wonder why they do not mark the packaging and discs with Not For Resale. I do remember receiving programs from different software companies during my days in the industry - employee at MicroPro, Broderbund, Novell (in the days of Netware, not Red Hat); contractor at Borland - that came to me so marked.

I want to try to get a name and address from Amazon first before reporting it officially to MS. Though, that is not really necessary since they can track the person from the Product Key.

Thanks,

-Mac-

Okay, here is the policy of Amazon[.com] as found in their Help selection by searching for Counterfeit Product (not for 'illegal') --

Software

Only full retail versions of software may be sold through Amazon.com. Software that has been copied or duplicated in any format is prohibited. Additionally, OEM, back-up, fulfillment, promotional, beta (prerelease), unauthorized freeware/shareware, "softlifted" software versions, and academic software requiring pre-purchase verification are prohibited.

I am pretty certain that this copy falls into the definition as 'promotional' product.

I am seeing on Amazon.de a third-party seller selling MAR (Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher) Refurbished copies of Home Premium and Professional - search for Windows 7 MAR. Here is their description of what that means --

Ein Refurbished H&auml;ndler muss eine Windows XP COA als Vorversion haben, damit er die

Windows 7 bekommen kann.

Der Endverbraucher braucht gar keine Vorversion haben, er braucht auch die XP Pro COA nicht mehr, da diese COA schon deaktiviert wurde, wenn Sie jetzt eine MAR Refurbished Version kaufen, bekommen Sie eine Win 7 hologramm CD und ein COA, man kann ganz normal die CD reinlegen installieren und mit dem COA aktivieren.

translation using translate.Google --

A Refurbished dealer must have a Windows XP COA as a previous version, so he can get Windows 7.

The end user needs do not have any previous version, he does not need the XP Pro COA as these COA was already disabled when you now buy a MAR Refurbished version, you get a win 7 hologram CD and a COA, you can normally reinstall the CD and activate the COA.

All three answers --

http://www.amazon.de/was-soll-MAR-Refurbished-heisen/forum/Fx5ZQFULION6UC/TxL96ANPEHR2S9/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00HCHD54W

This is a laugh IMHO. These people are selling only the software, not complete refurbished computers. I certainly have never been tempted by these.

Here is MS's definition of a MAR --

http://www.microsoft.com/refurbishedpcs/Images/mar_tile1.png

But, it makes me wonder how Amazon[.de] is allowing these sellers to sell the product.

-Mac-

Edited by macdunn

Well, just to keep a record of the steps I have taken, here is the email which I have just sent to Amazon Associates Program at Amazon.com to see what they will do --

Hi,

I purchased a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from the seller - ilimma8 (seller# A2OQZB58T9NXY2) - from Amazon.de on 30 November 2013 (shipped on 2 December 2013), Order # 304-1346648-7991526 for shipment to my address in Germany. The product arrived and has official packaging and security features.

Because of a computer crash in December 2014, I have had to reinstall this copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on the same computer. When I attempted to activate the copy, I was notified that the copy had been 'blocked' by the activation server at Microsoft.

I made two calls to Microsoft Customer Service and one call to Microsft Developers' Network (MSDN) support. I was told that this is/was a developer's copy of WIndows 7 Ultimate and is NOT FOR RESALE. I have been a dveveloper with Microsoft and know about this rule.

The seller's account with Amazon.de has been closed, it looks like, since February 2014 and emails are not delivered to the seller.

I would like to have the seller's name and any contact information possible to report to Microsoft for this blatant abuse of the developer's program, as well as theft of Euro 119.00 from me.

Thanks in advance, have a stressless Christmas.

-- end of line

Okay, last item on this thread. I just received, on a Sunday afternoon, a reply from Amazon.de about the seller and the illegal sale of a developer's copy of Windows 7 Ultimate --

Dear Dunn,

I understand how stressful the situation must be for you. The seller is not on

amzon.de any more and unfortunately I can not give you more Information about him.

As you have already contacted the producer Microsoft in this case, I suggest you

report the case to the police.

I am sorry that I can not be me helpful to you.

Warmest regards,

-- end of line

Personally, without a name or other id, I doubt if going to the police will do anything. My final step will be to make this a formal notification to MSDN of abuse by a former developer. Then, at least, their goose will be cooked with MSDN (I hope).

Best to all and a reminder that TANSTAFL ("there ain't no such thing as a free lunch").

-Mac-

• Like 1

Hello,

During the Windows Vista timeframe, Microsoft did initially deactivate pirated copies, but later changed this to notification messages and removal of personalization features, which continued on in Windows 7.

The MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network) program went to electronic media only a while ago, allowing people to download ISOs and license keys from the MSDN web site. Even before this, Microsoft just shipped CD/DVD binders and then sent the media in sleeves which had special MSDN labeling on it (the PID keys were non-standard labels, too).

What the gang behind your license probably did was copy Windows 7's retail packaging and then printed a stolen/bought with stolen funds PID key on it.

Microsoft would likely be interested in your report, and who knows, perhaps they will provide you with some kind of discount on a legitimate license.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Hi Aryeh,

Thanks for the further feedback and input. I do intend to further report this to MSDN. I am sure they can track down the 'first' person to get this copy by the Product Key if it was distributed through MSDN. Through distributor channels is more difficult if not impossible.

I was a technical beta tester (not to be confused with the 'public' beta test) for Win7. I seem to recall (my memory is failing is regards to some things) that I received a full product after it went golden. But, (again, my failing memory...) I think the product I received as a reward for testing had a timed expiration, like one year after golden. But, that really is not a point necessary for discussion. The packaging on what I purchased from the third-aprty seller on Amazon.de matches what is on the store shelves. It is superior to any of the knockoffs I have seen in the bazaars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Cambodia or Kosovo in the last nine years.

I will post further, if any, results on this thread as they happen.

Best to all and a happy and safe holiday!!

-Mac-

• Like 1

Hello,

A few years ago I was involved in an investigation of some pirated copies of what appeared to be retail-packaged copies of Microsoft Office 2007 that were sold to a company.

The packaging was identical, except the smallest text was a little blurry. The Certificate of Authenticity appeared to be legitimate, but on close examination, there wasn't any "thread" going through the paper; it had the thread printed as part of the image. Likewise, the DVD was a stamped (professionally manufactured) disc, and was byte-by-byte identical to the .ISO available for download on MSDN, but instead of having a holographic label, it had silver-color printed one that sort of looked like the label.

It was given back to the folks who asked us to look at it, and that was the last I heard of the matter.

Point is, the commercial duplicates can really appear to be identical. And, the criminals who make those are the ones Microsoft goes after. Each piracy/counterfeit goods report is like another piece of the puzzle to add.

Oh, right, I remember those Windows 7 editions now! The Product ID key was supposed to be activated within 365 days after it was sent to you; I think Microsoft eventually extended that after there was an issue with sending out wrong PID keys for the media.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1