Microsoft Open Sources .NET, Saying It Will Run on Linux and Mac

securitybreach

securitybreach

All I can say is wow!

Satya Nadella’s rapid reinvention of Microsoft continues.

In yet another bid to make up lost ground in the long march to the future of computing, Microsoft is now open sourcing the very foundation of .NET—the software that millions of developers use to build and operate websites and other large online applications—and it says this free code will eventually run not only on computer servers that use its own Windows operating system, but also atop machines equipped with Linux or Apple’s Mac OS, Microsoft’s two main operating system rivals.

“We want to have a developer offering that is relevant and attractive and valuable to any developer working on any kind of application,” says S. “Soma” Somasegar, the 25-year Microsoft veteran oversees the company’s wide range of tools for software developers.

With the move, Microsoft is embracing the reality that modern software and online services run atop a variety of operating systems—and that Windows no longer dominates the market the way it once did....

http://www.wired.com...l-run-linux-mac

securitybreach

Why would I want .NET on my Linux. I already HATE it on my Windows. :(

Oh I agree but it is groundbreaking moment... I think this is the first product that Microsoft has made open source. It shows how much of a threat Linux and opensource is to Microsoft.

That and it is newsworthy.... B)

machines equipped with Linux or Apple’s Mac OS, Microsoft’s two main operating system rivals.

It certainly is news worthy as they are acknowledging that Linux is one of its two main rivals.

Seems they have had a 180 degree turn around as only a few years ago they were saying that linux was the spawn of the devil and occupied a niche in the computing world that was so small you could hardly tell it was there.

:breakfast:

• Like 1