PCIE Socket Mobo Issues on SecurityBreach Main System

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

So, Josh...

What's the status with this situation? I haven't seen any updates on G+ about it. Just wondering.

securitybreach

You must of missed my reply:

I do not think it was the case as I have plenty of room. It was not the video card weighing down the slot either as both the x8 and x16 went out at the same time and the x8 has never had anything plugged into it.

All said, I just bought that motherboard and paid for 1 day shipping. I didn't have the money so my aunt loaned 100 of it. Anyway, I should get it within a day or so.

I do not think it was the case as I have plenty of room. It was not the video card weighing down the slot either as both the x8 and x16 went out at the same time and the x8 has never had anything plugged into it.

All said, I just bought that motherboard and paid for 1 day shipping. I didn't have the money so my aunt loaned 100 of it. Anyway, I should get it within a day or so.

Now I have one of my monitors, keyboard and mouse plugged up to an old laptop. I went from an i5 with 24gb of ram and 4 monitors down to a core2duo with 2gb of ram with 1 external plugged in. I have another machines so I more monitors around me but their either older laptops/netbook or mobile devices (tablets and phones) and it's not the same.

It's a bit aggravating since I am moving faster than the computer is...laaaaggggg lol

https://plus.google....sts/GTebSWGyMef

For everyone else....a few weeks ago my main rig just died. I went through the normal troubleshooting and noticed that my video card's fans were not spinning. So I test another video card and it also didn't work. Then I decided to try the other pci-e slot and the card worked. I knew that it wasn't my PSU as it was only 2 months old and my video card is less than 4 months old so I ruled those out. I used the machine for about a day and then tried to test the original pci-e port and it worked. The machine then ran fine for about 2 weeks and one night it died again and I tried changing the slots but both slots were dead now. I didn't know what to do as I did not have money and really didn't know when I would. My current mb doesn't have video ports so I was basically screwed. I have other machines but this is my main rig and is pretty powerful compared to other machines (i5, 24gb ram, 6.5tb ,4 monitors, etc.).The mb is the oldest part of my setup besides the ram but it is still only about 2 years old. Life sux sometimes #firstworldproblems

Now I thought I was screwed as I didn't have the money for the replacement and I thought it was out of warranty (2 years old). I was talking to my mom and she suggested that I ask her sister (my aunt if I could borrow the money since she got a large settlement from her old job. She loaned me $100 towards the motherboard.

So I had this really nice motherboard picked out when the issue first started that was pretty cheap (around $140):

LGA 1155

CPU Type: Core i7 / i5 / i3 (LGA1155)

Chipset Intel Z77

Memory Standard DDR3 2800+(OC)/2400(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066

Maximum Memory Supported 32GB Dual Channel

Expansion Slots

PCI Express 3.0 x16: 2 (x16/0 or x8/x8)

PCI Express x1 2

PCI Slots 2

SATA 3Gb/s: 4

SATA 6Gb/s:4

Power and Reset buttons on the board with a debug lcd

1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port

Video Ports: D-Sub, DVI and HDMI

4 x USB 3.0

2 x USB 2.0

1 x eSATA 6Gb/s

5 x Audio Ports

Z77%20Extreme4%20Top.jpg

500x1000px-LL-6c37efd8_2876172.png

http://www.newegg.co...7-293-_-Product

Review:

http://youtu.be/iT1pTgU_N8c

So now that all is said and done, my buddy mentioned that I should contact Gigabyte anyway. I told him it was over two years old so the warranty was probably expired. Well after registering and entering the serial number, guess what? The motherboard had a 3 year warranty. I filled out the warranty information and started the RMA. They should replace the motherboard but I am waiting on the claim to be approved (said it would take two business days so monday or tuesday).

I paid for over night shipping from Newegg but it seems that they do not deliver on weekends even though the carrier does. I am on Sundays and Mondays so I will be home and able to do the build. It just sux that I paid $25 for 1 day shipping Thursday night and it will not arrive till Monday. Oh well.

So I will have a replacement for my old motherboard and I will probably sell it as I do not have the money to complete another build right now.

securitybreach

So you think the entire southbridge went out? That could be the case but odd that after two years, it just went out all of a sudden.

What doe you mean by Southbridge IC? (intel chipset?)

V.T. Eric Layton

That's how it happens. A chip doesn't wear out like a mechanical device. Some Chinese woman may have sneezed into the mixture during the doping process in the IC factory. It caused just enough of an impurity in the mix for your IC to go bad a lot sooner than normal. Also, keep in mind Southbridge ICs usually run kinda' hot. They almost always have their own little heatsink assemblies. Heat kills electronics.

V.T. Eric Layton

Can't blame her, really. She only gets two cups of rice a day and a cot in the warehouse living quarters. Can't expect her to really give a carp about the quality of her work, huh?

securitybreach

I thought that was why we hired those fresh recruits with smaller hands.

Sorry, no offense meant to Chinese people or people with small hands

securitybreach

You would need a 1155 cpu (i5)...

I will be shipping the old one for the RMA in a day or so. Then I can get a replacement. B)

Guest LilBambi

Sounds like time to get a UPS with AVR or as others call it, Line Conditioning on that system.

It really saves a world of hurt with the increasingly sensitive electronics.

Maybe something like; CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS or CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS.

You can get them from Walmart, Staples, Amazon, etc. etc.

They are well made, last and have better features for the money than APC or Tripp Lite. Better value.