"The Big Three"

quint

Big 3I personally agree with the "Mandrake" assessment, but I had no problems with "Fedora"...currently waiting for the "ftp install" of "SuSE" (I wouldn't purchase SuSE 9.1, because I had irritating problems /w 8.2 & 9.0...in all honesty, I blame it on my "cheap, generic, system." :D ) In any case, this article makes good reading.

Mandrake 10 .0 as usual lived up to expectation. :D Fedora Core 2 first time since Red Hat 7.0 I tried a redhat related release like you Quint didn't have any of the problems some of the reviews talked about everything worked.My new mobo should come sometime this week and once all goes well Fedora will be my default. B) B) ;) Haven't tried Suse so don't know; but noticed a number of users on the boards having problems. :hmm:

Thanks for the read Quint.And I would have to agree with the article 100% (although I have not tried Fedora). I said it from the monent I had Drake 10 installed.....it is the best Linux distro I have ever tried.

nlinecomputers

I just installed SuSE 9.1 on my desktop unit. It likes this one and it liked Mandrake too. I'm liking the stabilty of SuSE enough that it is moving me away from Drake. Drake is great but there are always little issues with it that come up and bite you. (See poor James's thread yesterday as an example.) SuSE 9.1 bombed on my laptop but ALL the 2.6 kernal distros have bombed on it so far. I've tried Mandrake, Fedora, and SuSE on it. I agree with the review that 2.6 is NOT ready for massive use yet.

Yes it makes good reading. Since I only have Drake 10 of tne big three, I can't say much. However, I quit on Fedora after Core 1 did what they were referring to in that it trashed my partitions on other drives. I have Suse 9.0 on a machine and am happy with that but have not tried the 9.1 yet. I might try an upgrade some time. I do like my Drake. ;)Julia :D

A few months ago I would have had SuSE (with 9.0 pro) as the top...but lately I have to agree Mandrake is tops for me. Now running Mandrake 10 on most of our main systems (32bit and 64bit) and versions of Mandrake on most others.SuSe 9.1 Pro is very good and I haven't had any problems on 32bit machines(have it loaded on my work computer..only issue is wireless lan) ...SuSE 9.1 after the updates wasn't stable on the AMD64.(ok course there isn't any OS that actually is right now..LOL). Mandrake fewer issues than either fedora or Suse on the64bit box..I'm not a fedora fan (but loaded it or tried..again not bad on 32bit..but forget it on 64..and I could really answer why i don't like fedora..it's a nice distro..it's just not my cup of tea!!I think most of the quirks right now reside with the kernel...and I agree that it might have not really been ready for release..maybe it will settle down soon..but I think the 2.6 as it evolves will see the end of somebackward compatability...just seems to be moving that way and more and more resources are needed. Just hope mandrak keep the 2.4 kernel around for us with old systemsAnyway..Mandrake is my #1..followed by Mepis and Vector(but as mainstream I'd put SuSE # 2)

SonicDragon

Although i don't get to use it very often, i think mandrake is an awsome distro. One of the best hands down. GO MANDRAKE :D