Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

I found a picture of Google's MusicLM bot at work:

music-bot.png.9979a36bc1753e57883a212c43c59caf.png

And here's the article from which it came, a quiz on whether you could tell the difference between AI and human created music. Considering a lot of human created music is made by programming in computers these days, I'd rate it as impossible to pick. I scored 5/10 which is the same as random chance. How did you do?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/google-ai-music-quiz-musiclm-humans-artificial-intelligence/101967746

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 12:55 AM, sunrat said:

How did you do?

I got number 2 and 3 wrong.

Score: 8 / 10

🎉🎉 Excellent work!

You're an expert, scoring 15% better than average. Can you snag a perfect score next time?

😋

Edited by abarbarian

18 hours ago, sunrat said:

@abarbariannice work! 😎👍

Still could fall into the range of random probability though, so would need to do a number of different tests to exclude that. Meanwhile, go buy a lottery ticket. 😉

Result surprised me too. There was just something not quite right about the AI ones I got right. Could not say what but just that little something not quite right.

A lottery win would be nice. 🤑

V.T. Eric Layton

Friends laugh when asking if I'm drinking alone out on my porch in the evenings. I tell them I'm NEVER alone because ALL my friendly ghosts are here with me... human and furry ones. :)

All these babies are gone, but always with me... (Patches front left, Precious right on chair, and Li'l Black Kitty).

h4mXtPa.jpg

They all died just one month prior to their 18th birthdays (Patches & Precious in 2016, LBK in 2019). They were wonderful companions! I'm hoping my Bootsie Kitty breaks the 18 year old mark. She's currently 10.

LVqCLSP.jpg

• Like 3

Don't know about interesting this is very clever but oh so gross.

Wales paves road to zero waste with recycled nappies in A487 resurface

As part of Wales’ bid to become a zero waste nation by 2050, the Welsh Government has trialled using recycled nappies to resurface a stretch of road on the A487 between Cardigan and Aberystwyth.

I wonder if the new surface will show skid marks. 🤣

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finland Is Giving Away Free Trips to Encourage Happiness

The world’s happiest country wants to spread the joy to a group of lucky applicants who will travel to the Finnish lakeland region this summer.

Complete the 2-phase application for a chance to find your inner Finn in June

It’s free of charge!

The Masterclass of Happiness will cover your expenses for travel and accommodation during your stay. You will stay in your own private room with all the essential facilities.

If I had a passport I would give this a go. However the passport folk over here are in wage disputes with the gov and are working to rule. Apparently it can take six months to get a new passport.

If you do enter and win the bonus is you may get to meet Urmas, if he can be found that is. 😎

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago,_Rock_Island_and_Pacific_Railroad

One railroad too many - how the legendary Rock Island Line became a vacuum cleaner company. 10 years in a courtroom over a proposed merger and then 9 years of bankruptcy can do that to a railroad.

What's funny is the famous name has been revived as a scuzzy little short line railroad in Mississippi - the owners now make a mint selling t-shirts and baseball caps with the Rock Island logo.

"If you wanna ride it, gotta ride it like you find it."

V.T. Eric Layton

Originally Posted by @abarbarian

___

As some of our members are confirmed cruisers, that's passengering on ships not the other kind. I thought these might be of interest.

This 3-Year Cruise Will Visit 135 Countries on All 7 Continents

The Florida-based Life at Sea Cruises, a spin-off of ship management company Miray Cruises, just announced a three-year cruise during which guests will sail roughly 130,000 miles, stop in 375 ports across 135 countries, and visit every continent.

The vessel will depart from Istanbul, Turkey, on November 1, 2023, before making additional stops (where passengers can also embark) in Barcelona and Miami. In the more than 1,000 days that follow, the ship will explore much of South America, Antarctica, the Caribbean, Central America, the USA (including California, Hawai‘i, Washington, and Alaska), northern Asia, the South Pacific, Australia, countries on the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean, southern and western Africa, and coastal Europe.

If you did not fancy such a short holiday then maybe a lifetime cruising would suit better,

You Could Permanently Live at Sea on This Residential Cruise Ship

One residential cruising company, however, is working toward making a permanent seafaring life a viable option. In late 2024, the Croatia-based cruise company Storylines is slated to launch a new residential ship, dubbed MV Narrative, where people can purchase an apartment onboard and sail indefinitely.

The floating community will feature 547 residences, including fully furnished studios with Murphy beds (at 237 square feet), one- to four-bedroom apartments, and two-story penthouses (that range between 1,378 and 1,970 square feet each). The outright purchase price for one of the accommodations starts just shy of $1 million and will go up to $8 million. Like any other home, the residences can be rented out or sold in whatever manner the owner chooses. A select few abodes are also listed for 24-year leases (starting at $600,000, or roughly $25,000 per year). After the initial purchase or lease price, each unit will also be charged a yearly fee, ranging from $65,000 to $200,000, to cover meals, amenities, and maintenance. But once onboard, residents would only need to open their wallets for food, experiences, and trinkets during their time ashore—most everything onboard will be covered by the fees (with the exception of things like premium alcohol, certain medical and veterinary services, childcare, and items from the onboard store).

Mind you long term cruising is no new thing,

The World residences at sea has been sailing since 2002

Navigating six continents and sailing every ocean – the 2023 Journey will be an exceptional voyage, even by The World’s standards. Begin the year immersing in the vibrant colors, cultures and natural splendors of India, Sri Lanka, the Maldives and the Seychelles. Enjoy a two-month Mediterranean odyssey and challenge the Arctic wilds with Expeditions around Greenland and Canada’s Baffin Coast. Sail southward along the Atlantic coast of North America and into the Caribbean before a southern sojourn through Central and South America. Finish the year boldly, as The World embarks on two back-to-back expeditions across the lands, waters, and icy majesty of Antarctica.

Not really a fan of cruises mainly because of the short stays in ports. However if I win the lottery one of those above may be on my bucket list as they offer port stays of up to seven days.

If we do not hear from one of our regular posters for a while we will know wht has happene to him. 😁

Seems I posted this here by mistake it should be in "Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today" can a mod move it please. Thanks. 🤔

The Jet Rockets were designed by EMD in the mid 1950s - originally called Aerotrain. On flat ground they were designed to go 100 MPH but track conditions usually kept them under 80. They were underpowered for use in hilly terrain. Rock Island ended up using them as commuter equipment around Chicago. Unfortunately they came along as long distance passenger service was dying in the US.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

@abarbarian... for some reason or another (possibly brain-related), I couldn't Move your original posting. I had to choose "Edit" then COPY ALL to re-post here for you.

• Thanks 1

As a seasond cruiser, I now prefer sea days to port days but even I have my limits. I was happy to disembark after 30 days crossing the Pacific by ship.

• Like 1

The being on a cruise shop frame of mind goes away after a couple of weeks and people resume normal eating habits , ie stop overeating. Excercise turns out not to be much of a problem as there are quite a few boring hours.

V.T. Eric Layton

The 1st in a series is usually the best. That one above was based on the actual book...

Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle, Xan Fielding (Translator)

The others in the series were also based on books, but not by the originator (Boulle) above.

Read Boulle's book if you ever get the chance. It was good!

V.T. Eric Layton

By the way, you ought to update your sigline information... ReGlue does not exist any longer. Oh, and neither does the Linux Counter.

C'mon, Bob... get with the new millennium! ;)

On 3/30/2023 at 5:02 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

The 1st in a series is usually the best. That one above was based on the actual book...

The others in the series were also based on books, but not by the originator (Boulle) above.

Never read the book but the movie was pretty good.

Book available for free here to read on line

https://www.allfreenovel.com/Book/Details/29993/Planet-of-the-Apes

to download as epub

https://epdf.tips/planet-of-the-apes8edeb37b4707b94cb8a4d922b573bc7b84893.html

or to borrow

https://openlibrary.org/works/OL1319498W/Planet_of_the_Apes

😎

• +1 1

On 3/30/2023 at 9:02 AM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

hmmm, there were a few major differences between the book and the original movie, but the plot is pretty much the same.