Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

Is an unknown, extraordinarily ancient civilisation buried under eastern Turkey?

Karahan Tepe (pronounced Kah-rah-hann Tepp-ay), which is now emerging from the dusty Plains of Harran, in eastern Turkey, is astoundingly ancient. Put it another way: it is estimated to be 11-13,000 years old.

This number is so large it is hard to take in. For comparison the Great Pyramid at Giza is 4,500 years old. Stonehenge is 5,000 years old. The Cairn de Barnenez tomb-complex in Brittany, perhaps the oldest standing structure in Europe, could be up to 7,000 years old.

😲

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Princess Mononoke: The masterpiece that flummoxed the US

"I had zero plans to do it," Gaiman tells BBC Culture. "But the moment that changed everything for me was the scene where you're looking at this large pebble. And then a raindrop hits it. And then another raindrop hits it. And then another raindrop hits it. And now it's raining and the surface is slippery and wet. And I'm like, 'I have never seen anything like this. This is real filmmaking. This is David Lean-level filmmaking. This is Akira Kurosawa-level filmmaking. This is the real deal.'"

Princess-Mononoke.jpg

"With Studio Ghibli," says Napier, "you have a sense that, contrary to the Judeo-Christian Western point of view, humans are not necessarily the dominant creatures in the world." It's an ethos with arguable roots in Japan's history of ecological disasters, and in Shintoism, the animistic folk religion of Japan, based around the faith that there is a spirit in all things. Writing in 2006, in promotional material for a new short film, Miyazaki states that, "I am much more attracted to the idea of preserving the forests… not for the sake of humans, but because they themselves are alive." In the words of Yoshioka, "He believes that we should not protect nature just because it’s useful, or try to control it. Instead, we should respect nature as something which has agency of its own."

"Princess Mononoke is more relevant now than it has ever been," says Neil Gaiman. "We went through years of people going 'this climate stuff is going to be a huge problem'. And now suddenly we're starting to see the results and it's like, 'OK, we really are out of whack here and it's only going to get worse'. And now what do we do? How do we survive? We’re like the people trying to figure it out down in Iron Town. Except we're not really taking as much care of the sex workers and the people with leprosy."

It is an echo of an enduring theme of Miyazaki's later work: a rallying call to children, and perhaps to himself, that no matter how bad the world gets, no matter how tempting it is to fall into fatalism or despair, you must keep on going. "Life is suffering," A****aka is told by a man with leprosy his face encased in bandages. "It is hard. The world is cursed, but still you find reasons to keep living."

This has always been a problem when we try to export Japanese animation to the States, because they have this mindset that animation is for children, it has to be dumbed down – Shiro Yoshioka

p0clmjyy.jpg

I love anime 😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Thanks 1

How Scotland Forged a Rare Alliance Between Amateur Treasure Hunters and Archaeologists

Within a matter of hours, Hunter and Freeman realized they had a hoard on their hands— something intentionally hidden, either in the hopes of returning for it later or as part of a ritual or ceremony. The last time anything like it had been found in the area was in 1864. To Hunter, the real treasure wasn’t the metal; it was the traces of organic material he could make out among the artifacts, including a tangle of leather straps and a wood-and-leather scabbard concealing the blade of the sword.

When he figured it out, he was stunned: The fittings were part of a rattle pendant, a set of interlinked rings designed to jangle and chime as the horse walked. “It’s Bronze Age bling,” Knight says. “You’re seeing how a Bronze Age Rolls Royce looked.”

The find, Knight says, connects this quiet corner of Scotland to a wider world. Though virtually unprecedented in Britain, similar jangle pendants are common features of upper-class Bronze Age burials in Denmark and southern Scandinavia.

😎

10 scenic and remote museums and galleries that are worth the trip

Some museums require more than a plane and a taxi ride to be reached, but repay you with memories lasting a lifetime. CNN Style has picked some of the best, all nestled off the beaten track, offering stunning natural beauty and artistic value.

GettyImages-929404438-1024x537.jpg

Mind-Blowing Trompe l’oeil Mural to Extend an Apartment Complex in Russia

Earlier this year, for the event of the Urban Morpho Genesis festival in Russia, artist Danila Shmelev, known as Shozy, created a trompe l’oeil street mural to create an illusionary 3D extension for the dead, window-less concrete elevations of an apartment complex in Russia, the city of Solnechnogorsk.

Arch2O-shozy-3d-mural-extend-an-apartmen

😎

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, then...

I posted a story on my Nocturnal Slacker v2.0 blog and at Diaspora a couple days ago. Today I woke to hundreds of notifications on WordPress and ping backs telling me that a fellow named Colin Wright on Hacker News re-shared my blog post over there.

IT EXPLODED my blog statistics. I've received nearly 50K visits in the last two days! That's more visits all told than in the last 12 years of this blog's existence. ;)

What's the Strangest Thing You Ever Found in a Book - Nocturnal Slacker v2.0

And the boatload of comments on the Hacker News YCombinator site

• +1 2

Descending Into the Lush Underworld of China’s Newly Discovered Sinkhole

Zhang says there are still far more unexplored sinkholes than ones that have been documented in China. “‘The ‘Crow’ has identified almost a thousand sinkholes on satellite images, and we have only investigated fewer than 300 of them,” he says. “There are still many unsolved mysteries in China.”

I hate surfing the net. Makes me wish I was younger , had a fully working body and a large bank account. 🥴

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I hate surfing the net. Makes me wish I was younger , had a fully working body and a large bank account. 🥴

Right there with you.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
51 minutes ago, amenditman said:

had a fully working body and a large bank account.

I'd settle for my currently somewhat functioning body AND a large back account!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I'd settle for my currently somewhat functioning body AND a large back account!

It's amazing how much a large bank acct can compensate for.

• +1 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 4:24 AM, sunrat said:

228qzrr917g91.jpg

Neat picture. Is a still picture causing some sort of optical illusion or is a giff type picture ?? 🤓

30 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Neat picture. Is a still picture causing some sort of optical illusion or is a giff type picture ?? 🤓

Still picture. Very trippy, eh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sunrat said:

Still picture. Very trippy, eh.

Yup I thought I had either smoked too much or been transported back to the 70's😋

3 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Yup I thought I had either smoked too much or been transported back to the 70's😋

Either of those are still within the realm of possibility. 🚀😉

• Haha 1