Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

The Tsunami Could Kill Thousands. Can They Build an Escape?

The Cascadia fault off the Pacific Northwest coast is poised for a massive, 9.0-magnitude earthquake at some point, scientists say, a rupture that would propel a wall of water across much of the Northwest coast within minutes. Low-lying coastal neighborhoods in Washington, Oregon and Northern California would be under 10 feet or more of water, with the elementary school in Ocean Shores, Wash., facing an inundation that could be 23 feet deep.

😎

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 10:54 AM, crp said:

talk about a time capsule - https://www.digitaltrends.com/news/nasa-opening-lunar-sample/

wonder why it is not getting more notice.

Blimey they have had the capsule for 50 years and resisted opening it. Probably did not get much notice as there was not a lot to say about it. A yearly news update could have looked  like this

" Still have not opened the capsule maybe next year. Watch this space." 😂

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah, yes... alcohol and driving; not a good combination. When will folks learn to just buy the darn booze and drink at home, so they'll be safe and the rest of the world, too?

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 4:48 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Here's something of interest...

Shackleton's ship, the "Endurance" found!

There are also some cool vids on YouTube -> Search YouTube "Endurance Found"

Endurance-Shackelton-shipwreck-vc-H6kztL

106 Years, 4 Weeks, 1 Wreck: How Shackleton’s Ship Was Found

The expedition, financed by more than $10 million from an anonymous donor, had left South Africa aboard the icebreaker Agulhas II in early February. It arrived on Feb. 16 at the search site, a 150-square mile zone that had been chosen based on Endurance’s last known position, which had been determined by Shackleton’s captain and navigator, Frank Worsley.

Edited by abarbarian

This 34,000-Ton ‘Infinity Train’ Will Recharge Itself ... With Gravity

An Australian mining company says it’s building a huge “Infinity Train” that will charge itself by moving downhill. It’ll carry heavy iron ore in one direction and use that weight and movement to charge the train for its return trip back to the mine.

image_1646715665_36065213.jpg

😎

• +1 1

They are developing locomotives that don't run on diesel-electric, but rather batteries and fuel cells. Instead of using dynamic brakes that just release heat thay can charge the loco's batteries for the return trip.

Years ago they had gravity powered coal carts that took coal from the mountains in Pennsylvania down to the canals. Then thay used mules to haul the empty carts back up the hill.

• Like 1

So I guess this would qualify as interesting as it is the first opinion column on OpenSource that i saw that takes my position on the idiotic move of booby trapping projects for the 'greater good' -

https://www.zdnet.com/article/some-developers-are-fouling-up-open-source-software/

(in other words, which forum should posts about generic OpenSource go in?)

12 hours ago, crp said:

first read thought it said "gravy".

Once set up it will be a gravy train as it will be cost free apart from maintenance 😁

12 hours ago, crp said:

So I guess this would qualify as interesting as it is the first opinion column on OpenSource that i saw that takes my position on the idiotic move of booby trapping projects for the 'greater good' -

https://www.zdnet.com/article/some-developers-are-fouling-up-open-source-software/

(in other words, which forum should posts about generic OpenSource go in?)

Blimey I had no idea that this was occurring.

I like this persons reasoning.

Another more pragmatic argument about forbidding one group from using open-source software is that blocking on something such as an IP address is a very broad brush. As Florian Roth, security company Nextron Systems' Head of Research, who considered "disabling my free tools on systems with certain language and time zone settings," finally decided not to. Why? Because by doing so, "we would also disable the tools on systems of critics and freethinkers that condemn the actions of their governments." 

😎

On 3/26/2022 at 6:07 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I'd like to be on the Gravy Train about now.

Well your almost there. I guess life is brown an sticky at the moment 😂

• +1 1

• 2 weeks later...

The microchip implants that let you pay with your hand

A microchip was first implanted into a human back in 1998, but it is only during the past decade that the technology has been available commercially.

And when it comes to implantable payment chips, British-Polish firm, Walletmor, says that last year it became the first company to offer them for sale.

"The implant can be used to pay for a drink on the beach in Rio, a coffee in New York, a haircut in Paris - or at your local grocery store," says founder and chief executive Wojtek Paprota. "It can be used wherever contactless payments are accepted."

Nineteen Eighty-Four 😎

https://www.sciencealert.com/honeybees-go-crashing-into-the-ground-if-they-fly-over-a-mirror

Way back a few years a co-worker who was a pilot was telling me that a lot of small airplane crashes are caused by pilots thinking they are doing fine and not checking instruments and that pilots being able to fly into clouds and keeping altitude and angle by sight/instincts was bunk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...