Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

Well my car is only 11 years old, but I plan to keep driving it as long as I can. What the heck do you do about repairs, Eric? Can you get parts for a vehicle that age?

V.T. Eric Layton
16 hours ago, ebrke said:

What the heck do you do about repairs, Eric? Can you get parts for a vehicle that age?

Older vehicles are MUCH simpler to repair. There is nothing on my '82 that I cannot repair myself... up to and including engine and/or transmission rebuilds. As far as parts go... GM still carries most of the mechanical items like fuel pumps, starters, alternators, carburetors, etc. For other items, there is a HUGE aftermarket for ALL items for these older trucks. They're considered classics and there is a very, very large contingent of folks all over the U.S. who purchase, fix-up, resell, etc. these trucks. I am constantly getting notes on my windshield, front door, mail box, and so on from people wanting to buy my '82 Chevy.

Even my '96 Suburban is in demand. I've received a few inquiries about it while out and about at the grocery store or wherever.

My 1982 Chevrolet C-10 Scottsdale:

6mJw4lJ.jpg

My 1996 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

6ktggpl.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

02/22/22 at 2222hrs on 2sday. ;)

Over here it will be 22-02-2022 2sday, not at all sure why it should be interesting. Unless it has some cabalistic, shamanic or magikal connection. 🧐

7 hours ago, zlim said:

Lots of those pictures would make great wallpaper. Thanks for finding the site.

Yes indeed! These 2 were my favourites, saved for wallpaper:

800px-County_Kerry_-_Ross_Castle_-_20200

800px-Trem_abandonado_-_Via_Ferrovi%C3%A

• Like 1

How to be useless ;Follow the Daoist way – reclaim your life and happiness by letting go of the need to produce, strive or serve a purpose

We don’t always need to be useful; it’s good to simply enjoy yourself. In our society, as in Zhuangzi’s, usefulness is often presented as the measuring rod, the bottom line against which we should gauge all policies and life decisions. Zhuangzi shows that this mindset traps us in a calculus in which we end up seeing ourselves and people around us as a means to an end. This prevents us from enjoying our own lives, and the things around us, on their own terms.

Most of all, you should not think of yourself as some sort of tool or object and reduce yourself to your usefulness. You are so much more than that. You are not a mere tool in the building of a larger project, or a vessel in a grand ritual; you are a glorious part of the greater Universe, and when you plug in, or hook into, or become one with this ceaseless energy – when you become one with the Dao – you become your true self.

Excellent article.

Enjoy walking the way folks. 😋

I Spent Hundreds of Hours Working in VR. Here’s What I Learned

Hello from low-earth orbit! I have spent hundreds of hours working here in virtual reality. Even as I write this to you, I have Facebook's Oculus strapped to my face and am in an aptly named app called Immersed. It puts me in this orbiting spaceship where there's just me, the computer screen in front of me, and—let me look out the window—Ecuador.

This is the tech used and you can use it for free, if you have the right headset.

Work Faster in VR Than in Real Life

Spawn 5 virtual monitors in VR to optimize focus & productivity, whether solo or collaborating with your team!

😎

Cluttermagnet
9 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I Spent Hundreds of Hours Working in VR. Here’s What I Learned

This is the tech used and you can use it for free, if you have the right headset.

Work Faster in VR Than in Real Life

😎

VR is a deadly trap. Addictive too. I can resist, however.

I will not live long enough to be proven right on this one,

but I am right. VR is the beginning of the end for humanity

as we have known it. I'd rather go outdoors and take a walk,

even work in the garden in mid-winter. Much healthier.

Gaming started it, VR will finish it off. I have lost friends

to gaming- no, not a falling out, they just fell away and

became invisible to me in the world I live in. Y'all enjoy

your 'smart phones', social media, and such. Not for me.

As it is, I waste way too many hours on the net, but

gaming is a line I stubbornly refuse to cross. Seductive

but no thanks...

Yes, it is 'interesting' though, sort of, like watching in

morbid fascination as a constrictor dines on baby mice...

Clutter

• Like 1

Tiny, Wireless, Injectable Chips Use Ultrasound to Monitor Body Processes

New York, NY—May 12, 2021—Widely used to monitor and map biological signals, to support and enhance physiological functions, and to treat diseases, implantable medical devices are transforming healthcare and improving the quality of life for millions of people. Researchers are increasingly interested in designing wireless, miniaturized implantable medical devices for in vivo and in situ physiological monitoring. These devices could be used to monitor physiological conditions, such as temperature, blood pressure, glucose, and respiration for both diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.

I wonder if they could be used to track people like a GPS tracker ? 🤔

Fascinating stuff though. 😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050

Yrityskyla, the learning center where Ho and her class were spending the day, is designed to introduce Finnish schoolchildren to working life. In one of 13 centers spread throughout the country and sponsored by a consortium that includes the Confederation of Finnish Industries and the Finnish government, they run a simulacrum of a town, with each student performing a job in a different business (all of them based on real-life companies), from banking to health care to fashion design. The program was launched in 2010, and today roughly 83% of all sixth-graders go through it each year. And since 2017, their day at Yrityskyla has included not just experiential lessons on entrepreneurship and progressive taxation but also, as Ho’s “job” makes clear, the circular economy.

Meanwhile, the number of successful young companies employing circular measures seems to expand every month. Many are working to convert sidestreams from the forestry industry into new materials like bioplastics, paperboard and textiles. But in the birthplace of Nokia, just as many seem to be aimed at tech. Swappie, a company that refurbishes iPhones, for example, is one of Finland’s most successful recent startups. In 2016, its founders, then all in their 20s, embarked on a mission to make used phones—which then made up only 5% of the global market—as common as used cars (which make up 50% of all cars sold). “After researching the market, we realized that the main obstacle was quality,” CEO Sami Marttinen explains. “People didn’t trust the quality of refurbishers. So that’s what we built the company on.”

Well done that tiny country but then again it is one of the Baltic countries so you expect excellence as the norm. 😍

Pop Culture Gargoyles Hidden in Gothic Architecture

5f2807f820784.jpg

Some of you might have heard the story of the most famous one: the Darth Vader gargoyle, who was the winning proposal in a children’s contest organized by National Geographic. Christopher Rader, a 13-year-old kid from Nebraska, created its design, envisioning the Star Wars villain as a modern incarnation of supreme evil. Sculpted by Jay Hall Carpenter and carved by Patrick J. Plunkett, our dark-sided Anakin is today on the Washington Cathedral, wearing his iconic helmet on the first tiny peaked roof from the center pinnacle, on the right hand side.

😄

• Like 1
  • +1 1

science fiction story about people who live in high mountains being made astronauts due to being able to breathe for minutes without need for oxygen feed if situation comes up.

Why This Could Be a Critical Year for Electric Cars

Ford will soon start selling the Lightning, an electric version of the F-150 pickup truck, which has topped U.S. sales charts for decades. It initially planned to make 75,000 a year. But demand has been so strong that the company is racing to double production of the Lightning, which starts at $40,000 and runs up to more than $90,000. Ford stopped taking reservations after amassing 200,000.

“We’re going to be able to sell every one we can build,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford’s chief product platform and operations officer.

Companies are planning more than a dozen new electric car and battery factories just in the United States.

“It’s one of the biggest industrial transformations probably in the history of capitalism,” Scott Keogh, chief executive of Volkswagen Group of America, said in an interview. “The investments are massive, and the mission is massive.”

Tesla is still small compared with auto giants, but it commands the segment with the fastest growth. Wall Street values the company at about $1 trillion, more than 10 times as much as General Motors. That means Tesla, which is building factories in Texas and Germany, can easily expand.

“At the rate it’s growing now, it will be bigger than G.M. in five years,”

😎