Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

15 of the Most Extreme Motorcycles on the Planet Each of these two-wheel missiles is a radical outlier in engineering and design.

What qualifies as “extreme” when we talk motorcycle design? Is it the use of exotic materials? The fitment of the latest gadgets to turn it from one motorcycle into something entirely different? Or is it just a design so perfectly executed that it makes the other models pale in comparison?

Admittedly, the term is indeed subjective, yet it doesn’t make it any less valuable. Radical design and performance have long gone hand-in-hand with motorcycle building, be it from Honda’s special HRC (Honda Racing Corporation) wing to a builder working in subzero temperatures in Russia.

These three caught my fancy. Naturally there is a Royal Enfield powered bike in the line up. 🤣

1Cjnbhh.png

jE4DYA3.png

birHUWx.png

Not keen on this design but electric is the way to go for the future.

ZZ0ht2H.png😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

A fly landed on Mike Pence's head during the debate and rested there for nearly two minutes

This cracked me up. Choosing a new leader anywhere in the world should be a serious affair. An here we have the media concentrating on the actions a fly. 😂

Our news reported it was the most interesting thing about the debate.

But lets stop here with the posts that have anything to do with politics. The forums are a politics-free zone.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

We can still talk about flies, though. You know, it's interesting... there are two things that flies truly enjoy... sugar and feces. The consume both, but feces is also where they lay their eggs. The cycles of life... amazing stuff.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

We can still talk about flies, though.

Fly joke ( helps if you are up on 60's uk tv )

Two flys lands on a bald mans head.  What game were they playing ?

Answer , No Hiding Place.

Lol.

😂

• Haha 2

https://youtu.be/q_rXXSp5N-c

No Hiding Place was a gritty real life tv program. I was born in 1953 and the backgrounds you can see in the video realistically represent the world I grew up in. Probably explains why I turned out like I did. 😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

6 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Interesting, yes but it just shows how flat Australia is with a few pointy bits near the edge. The lines are just distracting and don't correlate to any data whatsoever.

There are some really interesting things on that reddit. I didn't know over half a million people still fly between US and Europe every day, no way to conquer covid-19. Australia is basically closed and we're down to about 10 new cases per day, compared to many tens of thousands new cases in both Europe and USA.

Music consumption stats are interesting, 77.8% streaming! What a waste of bandwidth when it can be stored on disk.

But this one is shocking, the amount of greenhouse gases emitted per kg of beef production. No wonder climate change is killing the planet. Beef should be banned immediately!

kg GHG-emissions per kg of product with similar protein content

• +1 1

'This is the Everest of zero carbon' – inside York's green home revolution

The city plans to build Britain’s biggest zero-carbon housing project, boasting 600 homes in car-free cycling paradises full of fruit trees and allotments. When will the rest of the UK catch up?

Joseph Rowntree, Yorkshire’s chocolatier-philanthropist, had a dream. He wanted to build “improved houses” for working people and, in 1902, revealed his plans for the experimental village of New Earswick, on the edge of York. The village would make the most of the existing natural landscape, setting little terraces of arts and crafts houses along streets edged with grass verges. Not only would their interiors be flooded with fresh air, natural light and “a cheerful outlook”, they would also have the modern luxury of indoor loos. Designed by garden city doyens Raymond Unwin and Barry Parker, the development went on to inspire the national Homes Fit for Heroes programme after the first world war, paving the way for the birth of council housing.

I grew up in York and it is one of the nicest cities if not the best in the whole of the uk. Rowntree's were the biggest employer in the city and were a fine employer and always had the wellfare of the workers in mind.

The New Earswick village mentioned in the article is a very very nice place to live though modern folk may not appreciate not having a pub in the village, the Rowntree family were quakers you see. They had a village hall though and held weekly dances fo young folk. It were those dances that helped develop my understanding of the fairer sex.

https://www.jrht.org.uk/about-us/housing

New Earswick, York

new20earswick_0.jpg?itok=0__Q5vvk

It is a shame that the article writer did not do the smallest amount of research as Rowntree's have already built a modern eco housing development on the outskirts of York. Work started on this , Derwenthorpe, in 2010 and people were living in the new homes as early as 2012.

https://www.jrht.org.uk/community/derwenthorpe-york

https://www.barrattdevelopments.co.uk/showcase/derwenthorpe-york

Derwenthorpe

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUk6Rkb44qPEi1YjprQof

York the true capital of England. Support independence for Yorkshire. 😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

America's longest mountain coaster opens in Lake Placid

Once a person reaches the top, they can control how slow or fast their car goes down the mountain. A single driver must be over age 9 and a ticket is $65. A driver and passenger is $75, with the driver having to be over 18; the passenger must be ages 3 to 12.

The coaster will be open to the public on weekends only and includes commentary for riders as they ride down the mountain through twists and turns that replicate the historic track.

“The coaster follows the alignment of the 1932 & 1980 Olympic Bobsled track as it descends the mountain. The views are amazing, and the curves get your heart pounding," ORDA President & CEO Mike Pratt said in a press release. 

Book a ride asap. Would so so love to take a ride on that. 😛

• Like 1

The news announcer was correct that it's usually squirrels that gnaw on the pumpkins. It's why I can't have any--the squirrels make a bee-line for the porch when they see one.

• Like 1

The UK’s rumoured subterranean network

In 2017, newly published Land Registry data revealed 4 million km of networks and telecommunications lines underneath London, many of which were secretly constructed by the Post Office, British Telecom and the Ministry of Defence.

4 million kilometres of tunnels !!! I find that a bit hard to believe. 😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Space internet is ready for people to start using it, Elon Musk says

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has said his space internet project is ready for public use following the latest launch of Starlink satellites.

SpaceX delivered a further 60 satellites into low-Earth orbit this week, bringing the total number close to 800.

The private space firm hopes to eventually launch tens of thousands of Starlink satellites to create a constellation capable of beaming high-speed broadband down to 99 per cent of the inhabited world.

“Once these satellites reach their target position, we will be able to roll out a fairly wide public beta in northern US and hopefully southern Canada,” Musk tweeted following the launch.

“Other countries to follow as soon as we receive regulatory approval.”

The Starlink network has already been tested on a limited scale, providing internet to emergency responders in the US following recent wildfires.

The Washington Emergency Management division was able to set up a Starlink-powered WiFi hotspot for residents in Malden last month after 80 per cent of the town was destroyed by fire.

Musk said at the time that SpaceX was prioritising emergency services and locations with no internet connectivity at all.

It is pretty neat that it has already been used successfully in real life. 😎

• 4 weeks later...