Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

Salmonella Outbreak: Red Onions Are Causing These Symptoms

Salmonella Outbreak In Over 30 States Linked To California Red Onions

The outbreak had previously baffled the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with the outbreak reportedly affecting hundreds in over 23 states, including Idaho, South Dakota, North Dakota, Arizona, Virginia, Florida, Nebraska, Maine, Oregon and Utah. That number, CBS reports, has since grown to over 30 states, with 396 people sickened and nearly 60 hospitalized since the outbreak began in July.

It is believed this same outbreak has also spread to Canada, which is launching its own investigation.

This outbreak is the second to affect the United States in recent weeks, with another linked to backyard poultry operations also identified. That particular outbreak is believed to have sickened 938 people in 48 states, leading 151 to be hospitalized and causing one death, ABC News Raleigh reports. That outbreak began in May.

Symptoms of Salmonella include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramps, and can occur anywhere between six hours and six days following exposure to the bacteria. Symptoms usually last between four and seven days.

The states with reported salmonella infections as of July 29, 2020 are:

Alaska, with 6 illnesses, Arizona, with 14 illnesses, California, with 49 illnesses, Colorado, with 10 illnesses, Florida, with 3 illnesses, Idaho, with 5 illnesses, Illinois, with 10 illnesses, Indiana, with 2 illnesses, Iowa, with 15 illnesses, Kansas, with 1 illness, Kentucky, with 1 illness, Maine, with 4 illnesses, Maryland, with 1 illness, Michigan, with 23 illnesses, Minnesota, with 10 illnesses, Missouri, with 6 illnesses, Montana, with 33 illnesses, Nebraska, with 5 illnesses, Nevada, with 5 illnesses, New York, with 4 illnesses, North Carolina, with 3 illnesses, North Dakota, with 5 illnesses, Ohio, with 7 illnesses, Oregon, with 71 illnesses, Pennsylvania, with 2 illnesses, South Carolina, with 1 illness, South Dakota, with 11 illnesses, Tennessee, with 5 illnesses, Texas, with 1 illness, Utah, with 61 illnesses, Virginia, with 4 illnesses, Washington, with 2 illnesses, Wisconsin, with 5 illnesses and Wyoming, with 11 illnesses.

My guess is that this is caused by fertilizing with untreated sewage. 😎

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ebrke said:

Anyone who doesn't want a really, really close relationship with Siri may want to read this article:

Siri Secret Surveillance

I heard some stories about "evil Alexa".

I haven't heard the maniacal laugh yet but...

Now, I always turn off the surge suppressors that supply power to my router, and to my Firestick, before I  dare to sleep.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/5744181/amazon-echo-alexa-spontaneous-evil-laugh/

Edited by Pete!
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Cluttermagnet
On 8/15/2020 at 4:16 PM, ebrke said:

Anyone who doesn't want a really, really close relationship with Siri may want to read this article:

Siri Secret Surveillance

Siri? Alexa? Is anyone really surprised? I wouldn't let those evil trolls anywhere near me.

I still have a flip phone. For now, until forced (more on that some other time), I refuse to

even own a smart phone. My flip phone stays mostly turned off. I get it out of the

aluminum foil Faraday shield when I actually need it (rare). I cannot believe the things

people let these high tech perverts get away with. I'm becoming more of a Luddite

every day. Ugh! Even a flip phone could in theory be used to track you...

BTW watch out for the latest TV's as well. They are thoroughly bugged and do phone

home. I love 'dumb' appliances and older cars. With no internet connection...

Bah humbug... Hurrumph!

Clutter

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Agree 1

This Luddite is right behind you. Our cable box acted up this morning and my husband suggested maybe we need a new one from Comcast. I said I don't want a new one with those voice remotes. I prefer the older, dumb cable box.

I did see the need to get a smart phone. Internet access, safely at home when the power is off for hours. The electric company tells you to check the website.

I use it when driving somewhere and I'm not sure of the directions. I like when a voice tells me where to turn. (Our cars are too old to have navigation systems in them). Of course if they hope to get much data from me, they are out of luck because my phone is mainly off.

I've needed it to attend ZOOM Meetings for 2 organizations I'm a member of. On a smart phone, you don't have to have a ZOOM account to use the app.

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

I'm also being driven to a smart phone. I had a hard time checking my cat into an emergency vet because I couldn't enter my info remotely from the parking lot and I'm in the same situation as Liz with frequent power problems. However, when I get one there's a whole lot of things that are going to be disabled. If I don't need it, it gets turned off or removed. And my answer to a new TV is not to connect it to anything but the electric socket.

• +1 1

9 hours ago, zlim said:

I said I don't want a new one with those voice remotes. I prefer the older, dumb cable box.

Also, the software on the new boxes is different. Everything is represented in pictures, not text that they have been using for 20-plus years. I find that extremely difficult--it probably works better if you have a newer, high-def TV. I have one of those boxes in what was my mother's room, and I think I'll get rid of it.

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet
14 hours ago, ebrke said:

I'm also being driven to a smart phone. I had a hard time checking my cat into an emergency vet because I couldn't enter my info remotely from the parking lot and I'm in the same situation as Liz with frequent power problems. However, when I get one there's a whole lot of things that are going to be disabled. If I don't need it, it gets turned off or removed. And my answer to a new TV is not to connect it to anything but the electric socket.

I don't know for a fact, but do fear- that the new TV's are set up to connect wirelessly.

So if you have any wireless running in/near your home, gotcha! These things have mics

and probably cameras as well. Wouldn't have a new TV. Plenty of older ones available.

The new ones are set up to phone home. That's default behavior. Further, I hear they

are easily hacked from outside. It's probably somewhat akin to hooking up an

unprotected computer with Win XP to the internet. They'll be hot after you shortly

like those awful, metallic death worms in the Matrix movie. Ugh. What- a few seconds

to minutes, and you have been pwned...

Clutter

• Like 1

I have a Sony 4K "smart" TV. First thing I did a couple of years ago when I set it up was disable wireless and plug in ethernet connection. Then a couple of months ago I needed the ethernet cable for something else and I only realised yesterday i hadn't replaced it!

It has a Linux PC connected with which I watch most online shows or locally saved movies/programs. Audio is far superior from the PC too which I care a lot about (I have a marvellous ADAM Audio studio monitor system to which I just added a monster subwoofer 😎🤓 ) . I don't have Netflix or any subscriptions, they are way too expensive when only income is a pension since I retired in February.

It's an OK TV but it doesn't get to use any of its smart capabilities.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have no idea if this is true but I shutter to think what if it is.

My girlfriend who lives in a Philly suburb went shopping for a new dryer. She said all the dryers are smart appliances!

I have no need for a smart dryer. First I never run a dryer if I am not in the house. If I have to leave, I open the door to turn off the dryer. I then turn it on when I return.

Our dryer came with our home and we moved in in 1989. I have no idea how old it is but as long as it works, I'm not replacing it. It buzzes when the drying time is up and I check to see if anything needs to dry longer.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Cluttermagnet said:

I don't know for a fact, but do fear- that the new TV's are set up to connect wirelessly.

So if you have any wireless running in/near your home, gotcha!

oh please. if one has wireless internet running that doesn't require a password than 'gotcha' deserves to happen.

my tv does not have wireless enabled nor the wireless password on it and doesn't have a Ethernet cable attached.

i let my pc or streaming device take care of all network access.

ruben stelli turns toilet paper into a musical instrument to play the popcorn song

with a lot more time on their hands the past few months of lockdown has brought inspiration to the minds of many artists and designers, and none more so than ruben stelli. offering a more whimsical response to the ongoing COVID-19 health pandemic, the dutch creative shares with us his recently finished project: popcorn song by toilet rolls.

No wonder there was a shortage of toilet rolls as so many folk tried to do the same thing. 🤣

This British Colonial Report Offers a Rare Glimpse Into India’s Historic Cannabis Cuisine And a description of some very stoned canines.  

Intriguingly, O’Shaughnessy found that hemp was effective in treating “infantile convulsions”—over 170 years before the U.S. Food and Drug Administration came to a similar conclusion.

This ambiguous legal status hasn’t stopped the popularity of South Asian cannabis culture. From the smoky ablutions of wandering Shaivite sadhus to everyday ganja smoking on the street, from tall glasses of bhang lassi to rose-scented thandai, cannabis continues to enjoy an exalted position in many South Asian communities. With marijuana legalization leading to a rise in cannabis cuisine across the United States, it seems that—almost 200 years after William O’Shaughnessy compiled his rudimentary cannabis cookbook—the West may have finally caught up.

😎

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:57 AM, zlim said:

She said all the dryers are smart appliances!

What information can a "smart" dryer possibly get/give? The brand of fabric softener sheets you use?

56 minutes ago, ebrke said:

What information can a "smart" dryer possibly get/give? The brand of fabric softener sheets you use?

If it's anything like my toaster, unlike the old one, it "forgets" what you set it for, every time the power blinks, and reverts to default (burn everything).

• Haha 3
  • Agree 1

Does the toaster have a life cycle? Like it gets 2 or 3 years of updates then it is a threat and you are expected to replace it? (like smart phones, Sonos speakers that are bricked by the company, etc.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

6 hours ago, ebrke said:

I guess the idea is so you can start appliances remotely. Shame washers and dryers are not smart enough to put the clothes in for you, kinda makes all that "smart" technology rather stupid. My washer is not smart but washes the clothes well. For drying I use sunshine. 😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ebrke said:

They probably send you a text if you do not close the door correctly 😋

8 hours ago, sunrat said:

For drying I use sunshine.

What on earth is sunshine ?  We have had rain and wind here for so long that I have had to install grow bulbs all over the house just to get my daily vitamin D dosage.🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

film documents the weaving of thousands of flowers into an ephemeral carpet in brussels

in a video titled ‘flower power’, filmmaker, director and producer joerg daiber documents the weaving of more than 500.000 flowers into an ephemeral, 1.800-square-meter carpet at brussels’ grand place. since 1971, ‘flower carpet’ (see previous coverage here) takes place every two years in the historic center of the city, where a hundred volunteer gardeners put together this monumental piece of public art in less than eight hours. though the 2020 edition has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, daiber’s recently-uploaded film of the 2018 ‘flower carpet’ offers an alternative viewers can enjoy until the next edition takes place. 

I would like to see this one year for real. 😎

• 2 weeks later...

nasa-toilet-main-1280x720-1593118831.jpg

It's Hard to Poop on the Moon. NASA Wants You to Make It Easier.

It is a bit late to enter the competition but they will be pushing the results out at the end of the month.

In the next few years, NASA plans to return to the moon. We know which rocket the astronauts will launch atop, what capsule they'll be cramped in, and how they might land on the lunar surface.

But there's one critical mystery NASA still has yet to solve: How will they poop?

Enter the Lunar Loo Challenge. NASA's Tournament Labs and Human Landing System Program has partnered with a Kickstarter-like platform called HeroX to sponsor a competition to design a space toilet that will be used on the moon.

• 2 weeks later...

In Europe, mobile tracing apps never got off the ground Technical problems, privacy fears have hampered their rollout

Mobile apps tracing new COVID-19 cases were touted as a key part of Europe's plan to beat the coronavirus outbreak. Seven months into the pandemic, virus cases are surging again and the apps have not been widely adopted due to privacy concerns, technical problems and lack of interest from the public

But a few countries have scrapped their tracing apps and others that have rolled them out have found so few users that the technology is not very effective. The adoption rate goes from about a third of the population in Finland and Ireland, to 22 percent in Germany and a meager 4 percent in France

It is hardly surprising that the different apps have had a small take up as most were badly designed. Why did the governments not put their heads together and make a universal app ?

If the powers that be had collaborated together then a tracing app might have been very very useful.Only thing missing was common sense by leaders, sadly that is lacking world wide.

😎

Jet suit trial for Great North Air Ambulance paramedics

A jet suit for paramedics has been tested by the Great North Air Ambulance Service (GNAAS) in the Lake District.

It comes after a year of talks between GNAAS and Gravity Industries.

Andy Mawson, GNAAS director of operations, said users do not need to be travelling that fast to cover large areas of terrain, compared with someone on foot.

I want one of them there suits. 😛

• Like 1