Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, sunrat said:

That's some unbelievably amazing drone flying!

I almost got airsick watching that. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing what you can do from the command line in linux.

How I used the wget Linux command to recover lost images

In 2004, the Open Clip Art Library (OCAL) was launched as a source of free illustrations for anyone to use, for any purpose, without requiring attribution or anything in return. This site was the open source world’s answer to the big stacks of clip art CDs on the shelf of every home office in the 1990s, and to the art dumps provided by the closed-source office and artistic software titles.

However, in early 2019, the website hosting the Open Clip Art Library went offline with no warning or explanation. Its community, which had grown to number in the thousands, assumed at first that this was a temporary glitch. The site remained offline, however, for over six months without any clear explanation of what had happened.

https://freesvg.org/search?query=world&q=world&page=1

😎

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

New Zealanders love their weird birbs (that's how they spell it colloquially). The fact we call their people "Kiwis" speaks volumes.

NZ has a North Island and a South Island. Affectionately, Australia is known as West Island. :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sunrat said:

New Zealanders love their weird birbs (that's how they spell it colloquially). The fact we call their people "Kiwis" speaks volumes.

NZ has a North Island and a South Island. Affectionately, Australia is known as West Island. :D

NZ is on my bucket list due to its topography and lack of native killer snakes,spiders etc etc. 😎

SpaceX launched 60 more satellites Monday as part of CEO Elon Musk's "Starlink" mission to bring high-speed internet to large, remote swaths of the world.

The Starlink mission aims to provide internet in the northern U.S. and Canada in 2020 and expand to "near global coverage of the populated world by 2021," according to SpaceX's website.   

There are already 4900 satellites in orbit, which people notice ~0% of the time. Starlink won’t be seen by anyone unless looking very carefully & will have ~0% impact on advancements in astronomy. We need to move telelscopes to orbit anyway. Atmospheric attenuation is terrible. pic.twitter.com/OuWYfNmw0D

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 27, 2019

Arnie was unavailable for comment. 😎

Teen receives historic double lung transplant due to vaping-related illness

Public health departments in 24 states have confirmed at least 40 deaths linked to vaping and the CDC said it is aware of more than 2,051 probable cases of illness related to vaping. Henry Ford doctors have not been able to pinpoint exactly what's causing the injuries, but the hospital said its firm recommendation is that vaping products should not be used.

I know some folks here vape so thought this may be of interest. Personally I have never tried a vape and would not do so. 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Teen receives historic double lung transplant due to vaping-related illness

I know some folks here vape so thought this may be of interest. Personally I have never tried a vape and would not do so. 😎

I vape so have been following these reports with interest. There have been zero deaths from vaping outside the US and places like the UK have a lot of vapers. The deaths in virtually all cases have been in vapers who use black market THC vape oil, a fact which has only been mentioned as subtext in most sensationalist articles.

I agree there should be much more control in who is able to buy vapes and related items. There is reported to be a wave of US high school students using them although this also isn't mirrored in other countries.

Reportedly the reduction in the number of smokers has been dramatic in the UK, and I am seeing many ex-smokers here in Australia who have switched including myself. I am absolutely convinced it is much less harmful than smoking. I also think it it not harmless and should not be taken up by non-smokers ever. Myanmar and India have banned it so I assume they want people to keep smoking instead.

It's a good topic for click bait and sensationalism. Don't fall for it.

Here is an article from Mercola yesterday ranted about unsavoury practices by Juul, the largest e-cigarette company in the US - https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2019/11/13/contaminated-juul-pods.aspx

They got $7 million from their vape fluid supplier to recall contaminated fluid, and then sold it to consumers anyway!

Juul is owned by Altria, the parent company of Marlboro. One can never trust big corporations and big tobacco are just evil IMHO.

A small paragraph from that article quotes a CDC report on the deaths -

We do know that THC [tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive component of marijuana] is present in most of the samples tested to date, and most patients report a history of THC-containing products.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sunrat said:

*losing*  ;)

Yeah, my spelling from school days has always been patchy.I am dyslexic to some degree, an old hippy, retired and a barbarian. 🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Barbarians are NOT expected to use proper spelling, usage, or grammar. You're excused from this burden, sir. ;)

Never too old to learn. At least you're not millennials. (or for millennials - your? yaw? 🙄)

There was an interesting current affairs program on our local ABC (government funded public station) the other night. Apparently back in the 50s and 60s when I went to school, English was taught with emphasis on recognising phonics ie. the individual sounds that make up words. This was changed to just teaching recognition of whole words which has recently been proved to be way less effective. Some schools have gone back to using phonics and the results have been remarkable with most students improving a whole grade in English over a couple of years!

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

HA! Fun with Phonics. I remember that well. That's how it was taught in my elementary school, also. Fortunately for me, my mother had taught me how to read and write before I ever started school. Unfortunately for me, it made those classes in 1st though 5th or 6th grades very boring. I still got straight A's, though. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
V.T. Eric Layton

That was neato! The Ukraine map was just sad.

My fav was "Most Viewed Categories On P*rnhub In 2019". We won't go there, though. ;)

2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

My fav was "Most Viewed Categories On P*rnhub In 2019". We won't go there, though. ;)

Another thing Australia has in common with the US. Apart from having monkeys running the joint that is. But we won't go there either. :D

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, sunrat said:

Maps Of The World That Will Make You Say "Whoa"

No.6 is amusing - "2,066 Americans Asked To Locate Ukraine On A Blank Map". If you allow a margin of error of several thousand kilometers, a majority got fairly close. :D

well North America is fairly simple, so not much help at home with this issue. Someone from Asia would have just as much difficulty with South American countries.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • V.T. Eric Layton pinned this topic
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I want a case of what the driver pilot was drinking. 😂

I had a girlfriend whose parents were Polish. This always made an appearance when we visited for dinner:

200px-W%C3%B3dka_Wyborowa.jpg

Didn't take much to give one that flying feeling. 😏

• Agree 2