Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

Planter of trees

Felix began planting trees in the late 1990s, and has since cemented his passion for British forestry by setting up The Heart of England Forest Limited charity, dedicated to planting a substantial native broadleaf forest in Warwickshire. Felix often makes a personal donation to the charity and between his personal country estate and The Heart of England Forest, over 1,874 acres of woodland have now been planted. Planting proceeds at the rate of approximately 300 acres per year. In the summer of 2013, the Forest hit a major mile-stone which was the 1 millionth tree. By the end of the planting season in March 2014, another 100,000 were planted.

We welcome natural regeneration of trees within our woodlands and respond positively where it occurs. A hedgerow tree is the usual seed source and nearly always happens near ash trees, field maple and to a lesser extent around oak. Oak regeneration is unusual in that it can occur just about anywhere in the woodland, probably dropped or buried by corvids (jays, crows, magpies, etc) or squirrels.

Although not in the same league I have been planting trees for the last thirty years. Five of which are still standing. :breakfast:

Oz Magazine

The history of Oz Magazine is of increasing cultural interest. Published sporadically from 1967 to 1973, it was characterised by Martin Sharp's psychedelic masterpieces and contributions form the leading radical free thinkers of the time. Though the magazine ran for only 48 issues, the infamous court action brought against it was one of the longest trials of its type in history. Two Australians - Richard Neville and Jim Anderson - along with Felix Dennis, were charged with 'conspiracy to corrupt public morals'. It became a cause celebre of its day, pitting the chaotic and disparate elements of the 'counter-culture' - Oz, International Times, Ink - with the unamused might of the 'establishment'.

The OZ magzine was probably why I turned out the way I did. :Laughing:

An for those looking for loot , this may be an entertaining and inspirational read.

How To Get Rich

How To Get Rich is a distillation of his business wisdom. Primarily concerned with the step-by-step creation of wealth, it ruthlessly dissects the business failures and financial triumphs of 'a South London lad who became rich virtually by accident'. Part manual, part memoir, part primer, this book is a template for those who are willing to stare down failure and transform their lives.

Canny, infuriating, cynical and generous by turns, How To Get Rich is an invaluable guide to 'the surprisingly simple art of collecting money which already has your name on it'.

I must get around to reading it one day. :228823:

• Like 1

Oak regeneration is unusual in that it can occur just about anywhere in the woodland, probably dropped or buried by corvids (jays, crows, magpies, etc)
And the corvids will choose the best seed stock, too. I've read that, and I can even see that behavior in my backyard jays, who will pick up and reject several peanuts in the shell before choosing one they feel is "prime". (Of course, pretty quickly all the peanuts are gone--to a jay there really is no such thing as a bad peanut!)
  • Like 1

Golden Bridge Cau Vang in Vietnam Held by Giant Concrete Hands

The 150-metre long bridge is located in the Ba Na Hills, in central Vietnam at over 1,000 meters (3,280 feet) above sea level. It was designed by TA Landscape Architecture in Ho Chi Minh City with an idea to resemble “giant hands of Gods, pulling a strip of gold out of the land,” said Vu Viet Anh, Design Principal at TA Landscape Architecture. Sputnik offers you a virtual stroll over this magnificent bridge.

:breakfast:

• Like 2

The Arch Mission Foundation plans to conquer the universe.

Earlier this year, the Arch Mission Foundation managed to include a quartz storage device containing Isaac Asimov’s Foundation trilogy on the Tesla Roadster that SpaceX launched towards the sun. At the time, co-founder Nova Spivack said this wasn’t a one-off stunt, but the first step in a bigger plan.

FAQ

To mitigate planetary risks, human data needs to be backed up in as many places as possible, both on Earth and off Earth. Space provides an ideal environment for data storage, yet also brings with it new challenges.

A large network of Arch™ Libraries (pronounced “Ark”) disseminated across the solar system will guarantee preservation of human data, no matter how much information humans create, for as long as the solar system exists.

The key to making this work is increasing the amount of data we can store per Arch™ Library, and disseminating Arch Libraries to a large number of locations across our Solar System – this is the vision of The Arch Mission.

There will be a growing number of Arch Libraries. At first there will be dozens, but by 2020 there will be at least thousands in various locations. As we develop the ability to encode the Arch Libraries onto DNA molecules that can be rapidly and cheaply replicated, it will be possible to distribute millions to billions of Arch Libraries. A day may come -- in less than 100 years -- when everyone will carry a copy of the Arch with them in a piece of jewelry, or perhaps in their own body.

Naturally the arks will contain a copy of the Arch operating system it being the pinnacle of os design. :Muahaha:

• Like 3

When the human race is extinct, which will be by the end of this century from latest reports, I don't think it will matter having data backed up in space. :'(

• Like 1

When the human race is extinct, which will be by the end of this century from latest reports, I don't think it will matter having data backed up in space. :'(

You are forgetting those lost remnants of humanity that will one day restart the human race.

Lost in Space :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting combination of music and painting

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fuIMye31Gw

[media]

[/media Edited by Robert

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The birthplace of BASIC

After just over 55 years, the birthplace of BASIC has been honoured with a memorial marker in New Hampshire, USA.

Thanks to a campaign by local paper columnist David Brooks, the New Hampshire Historical Highway Marker was installed earlier this month.

Professor John Kemeny, Maths professor Thomas Kurtz, and a group undergraduate students at Dartmouth College (pics) created BASIC (Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code). The first program ran on 1 May 1964.

They also created time-sharing to open up access to all students at the college. The idea was that the computers should be used by all students, not just those studying technical subjects.

The marker was going to include both these achievements but they wouldn't fit onto a small road sign.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The web is not the FULL INTERNET! 

LYNX-DEV new to LYNX Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 22:06:45 -0700 Will I be able to browse the FULL INTERNET using LYNX? I am using LYNX at my job, and the computer does not have window! The web is not the FULL INTERNET! Web browsers (such as Lynx, Mosaic, Netscape and MSIE) only access the web, ftp, and gopher. These are only a few of the services and protocols supported by the Internet. There is no such thing as "browsing" the "full Internet." Indeed, the phrase "full Internet" is meaningless. As to your implicit question: Will you be able to browse all public web sites using Lynx? ... the answer is no.

Was surfin an stumbled across this gem. The rest of the mini article is a hoot an worth a read. Reading the rest of the edition of the Linux Gazette made me realise how the pc world has changed over the years. There is a mini article/question regarding buying and building a pc which is a real eye opener for someone who thought things were tough when he started pc'ing back in 2004.

😎

• Like 1

Not really sure where to put this , so,

Police to sell hacker's $1.1 million Bitcoin stash to compensate victimsHacker told to give up bitcoins or face four more years in prison.

London police said the list of victims included some high profile names such as Uber, Groupon, T Mobile, Just Eat, Asda, and Sainsburys; but also the likes of Ladbrokes, Argos, Nectar, AO.com, Coral Betting, Vitality, RS Feva Class Association 2017, the British Cardiovascular Society, Mighty Deals Limited, and M R Porter.

West didn't want to give up his Bitcoin

West did all of this using his girlfriend's laptop. After his arrest, UK police said they found "fullz" (a term short for "full credentials" and used to describe email, username, and password combos) for more than 100,000 people on this laptop.

They also found an SD card storing 78 million individual usernames and passwords, as well as 63,000 credit and debit card details.

Blimey an he did all that with a laptop based in a trailer park :w00tx100:

17 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Blimey an he did all that with a laptop based in a trailer park :w00tx100:

There is hope for us little people still.

He also sold cannabis, along with hacking tutorials.

Multi-talented as well! :D

• 2 weeks later...