Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure I'd have wanted to be the driver of the truck towing that trailer. I was wondering how/why a float plant wound up in Saskatchewan until I checked a map and saw there was more water there than I would have expected in a Prairie province.

Not sure I'd have wanted to be the driver of the truck towing that trailer. I was wondering how/why a float plant wound up in Saskatchewan until I checked a map and saw there was more water there than I would have expected in a Prairie province.

Lakes can end up in unexpected places.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"The Ashley Book of Knots" by Clifford W. Ashley

This book and a piece of cord will open a new and challenging world of practical adventure to readers of all ages. It provides great information on every practical knot - what it looks like, who uses it, where it comes from, and how to tie it.

Through this attractive, well-organized archive of more than 3,900 different knots - presented through 7,000 illustrations - the art of knot tying lives on, both as a historical reference and a reservoir of handy knowledge. This should be a unique and permanent addition to any library.

Mr. Ashley, a prominent marine artist, is at his best here. He has devoted eleven years to writing this book, and it is based on forty years of looking for, trying out, and thinking up new knots. His drawings abound in humor and the text is full of colorful anecdotes.

I came across this book way back in the 70's when a friend made me a fancy knotted thingy. The pub I used in Ambleside in the 90's had a big brass bell for calling time screwed to the wall at the bar and the clanger had a white rope hanging down with a delightful Turks Head (I think) knot at the end which was a popular topic of conversation with new visitors.

If anyone has a copy they do not want I would be most happy to take it of their hands.

More information here at the Gutenberg site,

http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/eng/The_Ashley_Book_of_Knots

It is available for free from archive.org legally in a variety of formats for download as well as via torrent.

https://archive.org/details/TheAshleyBookOfKnots

:pirate:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got so sick and tired of all the drivel and canned laughter on TV that I kicked it into touch about ten years ago.I ripped down the aerial and threw it into the recycle scrap.

Now I keep up with the news on NPR and BBC4 .This way it's possible to actually do many other creative things while my eyes are free and the ears are engaged with other forms of entertainment . Besides the ears are not able to hold tools or do anything more than listen and waggle a bit when the jaw muscles are clenched in a certain way .

If I really need to watch any show all that's needed is google ,yahoo or bing and there you are . No fuss no time wasted ,everything at your fingertips .

Way to go for me. :yes: