Advice on first time installation

Prelude76

Glad to hear it.  I'm stopping at CompUSA on the way home tonight to pick up SuSE 8.2.  My wife's out of town, so I figure I've got a few days to dedicate to the project.  I hope my install goes as smoothly as yours!  B)
The way to go bjf123 ! Don´t miss all the fun. Give us a call if you need any help. :lol: Bruno

Well, command line is powerfull way and "right" way to do things in Linus, however, my goal is similar to yours, to run Linux with GUI as far as I can go. I think it is getting there, bunch of stuff to learn and KDE seems pretty poerfull. I am after all Windows user and am trying to find easy way around always :)I found great site for learning KDE and visual stuff on Linux:http://www.trylinuxsd.com/I found that site through Bruno's signature and Yolinux portal.
Zox:GUI is perfectly allright, but do, even in verry little steps, do learn some basic commandline stuff too. Much quicker, easier and effective. Take step by step, but do take the steps, nobody is pushing you, it´s a learning curve, true, but you´ll never regret have given it some effort. ;) B) :lol: Bruno

GolfProRM
Zox:GUI is perfectly allright, but do, even in verry little steps, do learn some basic commandline stuff too. Much quicker, easier and effective. Take step by step, but do take the steps, nobody is pushing you, it´s a learning curve, true, but you´ll never regret have given it some effort.  ;)  :D B)  Bruno
I have to agree with Bruno here... it does help immensly to be able to do stuff from the console window... It's usually quite a bit quicker and more flexible if you use the console. One example is unzipping a tarball. Using KDE, the "explorer" will browse to the contents of the tarball, and you can copy the folder out of there (essentially unzipping it), but it's a 1000 times faster to unzip it using the <tar -xvfz> command... I learned that the hard way when it took 25 min to extract a 3Mb file using "explorer" (I've still got too much windows in me) :lol:

hi Prelude76,U need to go through the /etc/fstab file to check for the mount points....This is what I have in the fstab file.

/dev/hdc5 /mnt/Music      vfat    defaults        0 0
Here's what u do, login as root, open the /etc/fstab file in any text editor. If the windows partition is not there, paste the above line into the file. Make sure to change 'hdc5' to reflect ur Windows partition and also change 'Music' to 'windows'. Finally, create a folder in /mnt known as 'windows'.rgds,007

007:This is his very first day on Linux, give the guy a few days before edditing his fstab file ! I know for us it is a peace of cake, but, remember the fist day ? End of this week he will be ready for us and we´ll show him where the lions are :lol: ;) ! B) Bruno

Prelude76

i realize command line is quicker than GUI, just as DOS is quicker than windows, but ya see, i'm kinda lazy :( drag'n'drop or type a command + syntax? i'll take the easy way out :) I'll stick to GUI for zipping and copying files, and command line for tweaks that cant be done another wayhey, did anyone notice how many games come with a distro? D***! gonna take me ages to go thru them :( my gf tried out linux for a bit yesterday, first thing she did, "where is solitaire?!?" (lucky for me there was one, called patience) :(

but ya see, i'm kinda lazy
You´ll have to work on that Prelude76 ! :( :( But, for real: the commandline is for lazy people ! ( I know you don´t believe me, but we´ll see in a few month time. . I´ll ask you about this again ! :( ) :) Bruno

Prelude76

help! i still cant mount my windows drives. i managed to log on as root, then edit /etc/fstab file, and managed to hard code my parititon into the filebut i just couldnt manage to mount. i kept getting error MOUNT POINT DOES NOT EXIST when i made try to mount /dev/hda1i tried going to my /MNT folder, and made a hard disc partition for /hda1, and i get error message "mount: fs type fat not supported by kernel"i'm typing this from Linux, everything else works good, but seem to have issue seeing my windows drivesand when i go to SuSE's control center, i found something strange. under CD-ROM DRIVES, it shows both DVD and CDRW (both of which are mounted), but when i click on DISC CONTROLLER, i get error message "No configurable controller found"any takers for this question? ;)

Prelude76

on last message, scratch what i said about Disk controller. i think thats just for SCSI. Under Hardware Information in my YAST control centre, it lists both of my IDE hard drives.i think my windows drives are Fat32 (not Fat16). could that be the issue?

Prelude76Sure they are fat32 !Please doo the following:< cat /etc/fstab >fstab.txt > ( first > is a ral one ) this will put a file called fstab.txt in your /home directory.Open that text file and copy it and paste in your next post !It´s kind of late here, 3.00 AM I have to get some sleep, but anyone picking up your question can see on that file what´s happening and what you can do to fix your problem. ( If nobody answers, unlikely, I´ll pick it up tomorrow ! ) ;) Bruno

Prelude76

actually, you can go to sleep bruno.. got it figured out :)i went to the YaST partitioner tool, and theres a way thru its GUI to set mount points to all my drives. i think during install, it wouldve done that automatically but i went to manual and set up only the linux partitions.but i got it figured out, AND learned a bit of FSTAB editing to boot. ;) time to go explore Linux to the tits ;) ;) ;) B) 'nite, bruno

Good job Prelude76 ! You´re a fast learner, well done !I´ve had a good nights sleep, so if any more questions come up let us know. B) Bruno

• 4 weeks later...
oh, one more thing.  During install, it didnt find my modem.  I went to add it from list, and then it asks me for provider ISP and number to dial and wont continue without those questions answered.  I dont want to use Modem for ISP, just for faxing.  How do i get around that?
Prelude,Did you ever get your modem working? Just curious. :blink: