Anyone loaded and used Android as a virtual system in Linux?

onederer

I've seen some nice apps available for Android, which are not available for Linux, or Windows. I also saw an application (forgot the name, shucks!) in which in HongKong, they are using instead of the Internet, or Cell phones. Historically, when something goes wrong, the gov't shuts down public communications, so the people can't organize something.

This time, they got one up on Communist gov't. They are using an app that works in Android, and on the Apple cell phones. Now they can communicate without any disruption from the police.

The system works on a peer-to-peer system. No cell towers are necessary. No WIFI needed.

They just download the app, and start using it. Each user is a node, and communication is good for approx up to 100 feet. However, with more users, one's communication range, can multiply many-fold.

The specutlation is that our gov't now wants to tax the Internet. If that's the case, then this technology could become the next Internet system. It would put a lot of towers out of business, and ISP's could just fade out, since their servers would no longer be needed.

The communication is not yet secure, Anyone can eavesdrop to listen in. But the next step is coming very soon. Encryption will be available, and secure private conversations will also become available, with someone else on the node. There is an app that works with this communiction, which can drop the user onto the WIFI circuit, if so desired.

It will be interesting how much further that this technology will be adopted, and further expansion increased.

I still don't know if this would work in Linux, running a virtual Android OS, which is running this peer-to-peer communication system. Of course, the computer would need blutooth to run. The app is opensource, so that it can be modified as desired.

Sorry, I forgot the name of the application. But if you google HongKong, I'm pretty sure that you will read about it there. The app can also be downloaded from GoogleTalk.

Cheers!

securitybreach

You can also use tor and a peer-to-peer application on android: Orbot: Proxy with Tor

Also there is Bitmessage: Bitmessage Sends Secure, Encrypted, P2P Instant Messages which works on Linux, Windows and Apple.

"Bitmessage is a P2P communications protocol used to send encrypted messages to another person or to many subscribers. It is decentralized and trustless, meaning that you need-not inherently trust any entities like root certificate authorities. It uses strong authentication which means that the sender of a message cannot be spoofed, and it aims to hide "non-content" data, like the sender and receiver of messages, from passive eavesdroppers like those running warrantless wiretapping programs."

And of course it is in the Arch AUR repos:

g3BIR5N.png

And a wiki entry: Archwiki: Bitmessage

AFIK, all those communications listed above, need the Internet, and some servers. There's nothing wrong with those applications. They serve their user well. As well, cell phones need towers and corporations to handle their calls. And they also can communicate securely, if they get the proper setup. But all of the above communications can be cut off with the flick of a switch by the service provider. Below, is a more sophisticated means of communications, similar to Ham Radios, or walkie talkies. One can talk to many people at the same time. And no one controls the communications links. It's a free for all.

But I believe that you missed the point. Firechat, doesn't need an Internet connection, nor does it need, a cell phone connection. It does need to run in Android as an app, and with Bluetoot. And at the moment, needs to run in a cell phone. But there is no central point of contact for communications. Each person is a node, talking to another node. And a collection of nodes, forms a non-centrallized communication network. When there are that many people involved, one node can reach the far end of that node network. It is not yet secure, but will be real soon, with a lot of other perks added to it, as time goes on.

It's now very popular in HongKong because the police cannot pull the plug on them, and cut off their electicity, nor can they shutdown a non existant ISP, or cell phone towers. Amongst the peers they can setup a moderator, if necessary, to guide the network. The cops cannot shut down their communication to prevent them from making collective plans concerning their democracy demonstrations. Based on that fact, the HongKong gov't is currently highly frustrated. They don't want to allow the population to collectively select and vote for their representatives.

The Communists want to appoint their own type of leaders to run the city.

Anyway, I did finally remember the name of the app. Yes, it's firechat, and it is open sourced, and free to download and use. I was just curious if there was some way to run Android in a virtual environment, using Linux, and perhaps using this app in Android, with an X86 machine, just like they use it in the Apple environment. After all, I do have bluetoot in my laptop, and that's a beginning. Now is to fill in the rest of the requrements. Can it be done?

Currently I did not post this to compare with other applicatons. I was interested specifically in firechat's benifits or deficits. Also to apply it to X86 machines, instead of an Appple environment. And of course, I welcome your input in this topic!

Cheers!

I have loaded Android_x86 as a VirtualBox VM, but I haven't used it in a LONG time. I used to check out new Android features as Android matured from v1.6 through the 2 series and briefly 3 series (Honeycomb), but it seems to have matured somewhat in the 4 series. So I don't really check it out anymore , and it's archived on my backup drive somewhere

• Like 1

Well that's great that Android can work in an X86 environment. But what about the apps? Can they run unmodified?

I'm not sure if Android runs native in an Intel/AMD system. Or perhaps in an envelope to enable it's operation in an X86 computer.

I just like those many apps which are available. They represent many functions, and applications.

Cheers!

securitybreach

You can install all the apps available as this is basically a virtual installation. The point of x86-android is a platform so application developers can test their application on various android releases.