Another Install BBQ/Party

longgone

Hi DaleGnome uses a different printing system then KDE . . once back in KDE you will be able to print again ;)To get to KDE: log out --> End session only ( so no reboot or shutdown ) --> you get the usual login screen . . . highlight "Dale" and press next . . now on the dialog where you give your password . . right under the passwordbox there is "Session Type" . . Make that KDE . . . . and it will boot into KDE from there on ;):blink: Bruno

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• Bruno

• teacher

• Peachy

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruno.....I was in KDE when I tried it.... have done nothing yet in GNOME .. but now that you have shown me how to switch back and forth I have gained more """"knowledge"""" .......

• 2 weeks later...

Okay everyone,,,,Very quick question here .... I am trying to make a boot floppy for Mandrake 10.0, did the configure your computer and then searched around there for a bit but I cannot find where/how to make the boot floppy. It is not listed like it was in 9.0 ...

http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...14&t=503&st=207You should be able to follow this tip, then go to the MCC and burn the floppy there.
$ fdformat /dev/fd0u1722 ( for 1722kB, but even up to 1920 kB is possible )Here are all the formats:fd0u1440 fd0u1722 fd0u1840 fd0u720 fd0u830fd0u1040 fd0u1600 fd0u1743 fd0u1920 fd0u800fd0u1120 fd0u1680 fd0u1760 fd0u360 fd0u820
Use the
 $fdformat /dev/fd0u1920

and you should be fine.Julia

Using that info here is what I exit[dale@localhost dale]$ fdformat /dev/fd0u1920Double-sided, 80 tracks, 24 sec/track. Total capacity 1920 kB.Formatting ...ioctl(FDFMTTRK): Invalid argument

Hi DaleMaking a boot-floppy on such a large formatted floppy is no real good idea . . . . on that format floppies are highly unstable and the chances are that it will prove un-usable by the time you really need it :(A better idea is making a boot-CD ( For Drake 10 ):

# mkrescue --iso --initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.3-7mdk.img --kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-7mdk

This will put a file named "rescue.iso" in your /home directory . . . rightclick the file and burn it to CD . . . then check if it works and you are ready :DB) Bruno

Bruno.......Okay, will try that way, the other way wasn't working as you can see from the post, I tried it the way it is in the "tips" section and it would not work either. I kept getting a "disk is full" error on an empty new disk. I try this one now ... to bad it can't be as easy as 9.0.

Hi DaleIt are those bigger kernels that are making things impossible to fit on a floppy . . . that and the fact that many new computers don't even have a floppy drive anymore is pushing things towards Boot-CDs . . :huh: . . . and because all this is fairly new it is not automated yet. A few versions from here and you can simply inset a CD in your burner and press a button in the MCC to make a Boot-CD . . . but we are not there yet, so we have to do a few commandline tricks ;);) Bruno

Bruno......Well ... made a boot CD ... tested it and by gum ... it seems to work just fine ..... now I have one for 9.0 (floppy) and 10.0 (CD) .... and BTW ... I am now convinced that the live CD I have for SuSE 9.0 is not going to work on anything I have. I tried it on that new (brand new) DVD Rom and it would not work on it either ... now the question is which distro should I play with next ?????????

Well Dale..the only thing I see missing from your computer setups is a nice Debian Based distro...umm like Mepis, or knoppix.. :huh: