• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LLfan

• Arena2045

• SonicDragon

• BrianT1701

Well... I look at it this way. You get longer support, and it covers the hardware within the terms... and it extends it up to 3 years. If something dies after the intro hardware support you are out of luck and may be paying more than $250...Case in point: I have an old DELL laptop. I got the extended warranty and never used it, until 2 years into it my HD died, they replaced it, my screen cracked, they replaced it because it was in the plan I had, one of the batteries wouldn't hold a charge they replaced it... If I didn't have that extended warranty I would have had to pay for all of that.But it's your choice.

SonicDragon
Case in point: I have an old Dell laptop. I got the extended warranty and never used it, until 2 years into it my HD died, they replaced it, my screen cracked, they replaced it because it was in the plan I had, one of the batteries wouldn't hold a charge they replaced it... If I didn't have that extended warranty I would have had to pay for all of that.
Definately got your money's worth there.

I'm still hesitant. And all of thse things happening to you doesn't go to reinforce the idea of superior quality.If I invest 3 grand in a g5 I'll do it, but for a 1400 laptop...I think I'll take my chances with a 1 year warranty. Still debating on waiting, but think I'll probably go ahead with the purchase this week.Mike

I just want to CLARIFY that what I said was about a DELL laptop, NOT an iBook.I was just giving an example where such an extended warranty came in handy; especially since it's a laptop, and takes a bit more of a beating than a tower sitting on your desk.

BrianT1701

Yes....I will just chime in and say that I would get the extended plan on a laptop....only because if something did go wrong...fixing it yourself is far more difficult to do then on a desktop pc.But...an idea of apple quality can be shown here....one of my Apple's when I got it was covered in dust and pine needles from a pine tree...these things were inside the mobo and everything....but the quality of the apple shown through when she still fired up with no problems.So...chances are nothing would happen with the iBook ...but I am not risk taker..and I would get the extended service. But, that's me. B)

Thanks for the clarification Arena...I've heard nothing but positive things about apple hardware and to see your post I got a little wigged out. =)How can I tell what processor a particular ppc is using. I went to Apple<About this computer and saw info on the ram (1 gig) but nothing to do with cpu. It's running OS 9.2.

SonicDragon

I wouldn't recommend buying a used iBook. I don't recommend getting a used computer in general, but the iBook even more so because not so long ago, the iBooks had serious problems.... i think the the logic board or something like that. However, i believe the new iBooks have fixed this problem.

I wouldn't suggest getting any computer that just has OS 9.x... You want it to come with OS X, having OS 9 also is just an added bonus. You want OS X.I would agree about buying a used iBook. The logic board problems have been resolved, but Apple was working with customers with getting them replaced...If you want to see what kind of processor it has look for the processor name: G3, G4, G5.The last Mac to have G3's were iBooks... so that used iBook might very well be a G3, because the new iBooks that feature G4's are not that old.G4 is standard across the line of Macs except for the PowerMac Towers which are now G5. I would not expect to see a G5 Powerbook for some time. But who knows they might announce it this summer at the WWDC.

Oh... I re-read your post. Let me make sure I give you the right directions...When under OS X, and you go to the Apple > About this Mac, it tells you the Processor and Memory. For more detailed system specs click the more info button.When under OS 9, look for the "Apple System Profiler" under the Apple menu or it's submenus... It will give you detail specs about the system.

OK a few things...The iBook I was looking at was under the special deals section at apple.com, but if they do have known issues with older iBooks I will stick with the newer one.In no way will I run OS9.x -- it's ugly and slow IMO. I was just siting at a friends house who has a G4 ppc that he spent a fortune on including the 24" widescreen LCD. I was curious to see if he was running dual processors...and it seems he does.Mike :D

Alright, one of the reasons I really like the idea of a laptop is I will be traveling between 2 homes during the week. One I have a cable connection on, the other DSL. The iBook I am getting:

• 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)• 60GB Ultra ATA drive• Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)• AirPort Extreme Card• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English• 14.1-inch TFT XGA display• 1.2GHz PowerPC G4• ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
has an Airport Extreme card. I imagine I can just configure the iBook to use the cable connection easily..but will I have to purchase an Airport base station for the dsl home?Oh, and can I use nearly any usb keyboard with this thing--$44 for a keyboard is insane!

SonicDragon
has an Airport Extreme card. I imagine I can just configure the iBook to use the cable connection easily..but will I have to purchase an Airport base station for the dsl home?
You do not need an Airport base station. The iBook will connect to any b or b wireless router, so you don't need to buy a special one from apple. As for wired, it will also connect to any network just like a pc would.
Oh, and can I use nearly any usb keyboard with this thing--$44 for a keyboard is insane!
I'm almost positive you can, though i'm not sure....Arena?

Just to correct a typo in Sonic's post... An AirPort Extreme card can connect to any WIFI B or G wireless network.As for keyboards and mice... you should not have a problem connecting any USB keyboard and or mouse to it. Keyboards that have special buttons above the keys may not work if there is not OS X driver for them. But I know Logitech and Microsoft keyboards and mice work out of the box. I have the wireless Logitech Desktop Duo and it works without drivers, but to customize all the buttons and the extra buttons on the mouse I needed to install the software.You do not need drivers for a multi-button mouse. OS X is set up such that it will understand a right click, as well as a scroll wheel for up and down.

SonicDragon
Just to correct a typo in Sonic's post... An AirPort Extreme card can connect to any WIFI B or G wireless network.
Oops, thanks ;) Fixed it... hopefully that makes more sence B)

Thanks all! However, I do not have a wireless network setup nor do I want to right now. So my question still remains, can I have my pc configured to run the cable and SBC or will I have to setup a wireless router for the SBC DSL?

SonicDragon

I'm very confused.SBC? what's that? ;) Are you talking about using your current pc as a router? If you don't want a wireless connection, than you don't need a wireless router. But, if you want to share you internet service to both your iBook and your PC, you need a *wired* router. And if you're buying a regular wired router, you may want to spend the extra 50 or so and get a wireless one. Why don't you want a wireless connection?I think maybe the best idea would be to get a wireless router with a wired router built in. That way, you can have your desktop connected via a wire and roam the house the your iBook at the same time

SBC is the provider of the DSL.I'm not worried about the setup of the hardware (I know all about routers) I'm worried whether or not the software will need to be loaded on the iBook or if it will just recognize the connection once connected.

SonicDragon
I'm not worried about the setup of the hardware (I know all about routers) I'm worried whether or not the software will need to be loaded on the iBook or if it will just recognize the connection once connected.
Sorry about that :ermm: Anyway. You should be able to just plug the ethernet wire in and have it work. It shouldn't need any extra software as far as i know. Did SBC come with software? What kind?

SBC comes with a connection wizard and montior that they say you must use but I believe using a simple dial up connection will connect me. It's part of their 'always on' DSL which basically means when you start your PC it auto dials the number.Thanks for the help, I'm going to order the iBook now.

SonicDragon
SBC comes with a connection wizard and montior that they say you must use but I believe using a simple dial up connection will connect me. It's part of their 'always on' DSL which basically means when you start your PC it auto dials the number.Thanks for the help, I'm going to order the iBook now.
Hold on -- note quite yet.-----------Maybe you should give SBC a call to make sure. I've never used... nor heard of this software on a mac or pc. If they say you need it... you might need it :ermm:Good luck on the purchase! I'm sure it'll be lots of fun. :ermm: Edited by SonicDragon

Either way I'm getting the iBook. =)If I have to install the software then I will have to (I still have the cds) I just hate installing things I don't need.

Order the iBook. =)Upped the Ram, got the Super Drive along with Final Cut Express 2, and it is supposed to bill as quickly as today. :o :D :) So, will let you know when it arrives! Maybe I'll even post via Safari. B) Mike :ermm:

Mike:Congratulations on the order! So what are the final system specs of the iBook you purchased?About the whole network thing. If you can share your net connection via a wired network and you know how to set up a wired network: then I'm sure you will be able to configure the Network settings under OS X very easily (if it does not automatically).Mac OS X makes changing settings for a network very easy. If it doesn't see your wired network and you want to change the settings of the network then go to: Apple > System Preferences > Network > Built-In Ethernet. You could make a "location" for Site A which would have DSL, and Site B which would have dial-up.About getting an Airport Extreme card. I hope you got one because I'm sure you will run into a few wireless network hot spots in your area to which you can connect to. Plus you will know that its there if you ever want to set up a wireless connection or visit someplace that offers it.TIP: If you DID buy your iBook with an Airport Extreme card, and you do not have a wireless network at home, I would suggest that you turn off the Airport card to conserve battery life when you are not plugged in. You can do this via Apple > System Preferences > Network? When do you expect to receive it? I want to write up an article on how to clone your hard drive, so that when you first get it, you can make a backup of the factory fresh install. That way you can easily revert back to factory fresh instead of having to reinstall the OS from the CDs.

:lol: Well it was supposed to ship today but might not ship until Wed. It's a 5 day shipping (though my iPod only took 2). So we're looking at Fri.I did not opt for the airport card or the apple protection plan. I ordered through the 1800myapple and talked with a rep. He recomended not getting the airport card if I don't plan on using it at home and if I do, it's a simple install (which he briefly explained).
Memory: 512MB DDRHard Drive: 40GBOptical Drive: SUPERDRIVEFINAL CUT EXPRESS 2
He also explained that I have 1 year to decide on the apple protection plan so i could wait on that as well. He seemed to think The Final Cut Pro (though had fantastic features including HD ability) was not what I needed and that with the Express (which with my educational discount was half price) and iDVD i'd be just fine. Will be looking forward to your tutorial...I know I will be in need of tremendous help getting things set right so that I can break it.Mike

BrianT1701

You've really set my wanting on fire now...Mike. I am applying for a new job on Wednesday and if I get it...I'll be able to buy my powerbook in no time. ;) Congrats on the purchase too..... :lol: