New Zone Alarm

Peachy

I don't know when the free version was made available, but it's available now. Version 5.0.590.015 of the free version is the current one. I just downloaded and installed on my current test machine and noticed one new feature: anti-virus software monitoring. It looks like it monitors your anti-virus software to make sure it doesn't get turned off and is up-to-date with its definitions. Will test it now. :)

Peachy,Thanks for the update. Let us know how it works.I wonder how this will work when SP2 for XP arrives? It also monitors anti-virus, firewall and update status. :huh:

Update. The Antivirus Monitoring option is for AV software downloaded with ZoneAlarm Pro. It didn't detect that I had AVG installed. I may try it with a trial version of Norton and McAfee. I also have an OEM-bundled PC-Cillin 2002.

nlinecomputers

Well I'm trying it out ZAPro now. The AV part either doesn't work for me as I use AVG. The moblie code check slows down webpages to unaceptable speeds IMO. Cookie and pop blocking I've already got with Mozilla so I think the Free version is enough for most people.

littlebone

I installed the ZA free upgrade after receiving a notification from Zone Labs that 5.0 was available. Visual Studio's ability to interact with IIS no longer works.I have VS.Net set up to allow Access and to ask before connecting as a server. (Check, Check, Question Mark, Question Mark)I have IIS set up to Allow Access, to allow trusted access to the server and to ask about external access to the server.Now I cannot use VS.Net for ASP.Net development. Opening a web site is supposed to connect to my (local) server to access the source code, but the IDE hangs. There are no alarms, nor any of the usual ZA pop-ups asking permission for something to access the internet or act as a server. Just the lovely hourglass cursor.I turned ZA off and the site loaded into the VS IDE just fine. After turning ZA back on (still in the IDE) I could not run the site from within VS.Net.5.0, not yet a keeper.

Check the Log file from within ZoneAlarm. Locate the entries that show that the IIS/VS interaction is being blocked. Right-click said entry and stick it in the Trusted Zone.

Grasshopper

ZA should document changes a little more evidently so that we could make our own necessary adjustments, like Peachy said. Otherwise people are gonna go away from a pretty decent product.I just upgraded. I don't necessarily use the new AV monitoring (I'm usually pretty anal about that all by myself), so I only use the free version.

littlebone
Check the Log file from within ZoneAlarm. Locate the entries that show that the IIS/VS interaction is being blocked. Right-click said entry and stick it in the Trusted Zone.
As I said, there are no log entries under either "firewall" or "program" in the log indicating that either IIS or the IDE are attempting access.I do see entries for the IDE from runs before the new ZA was installed. These were allowed after I was asked if it was OK.

littlebone
Are there any entries that show ZA is blocking port 139?
Peachy:No. And the old VStudio entries show ports like 3337. After a long delay I got this message from VS:
The default Web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the project folder at ... cannot be opend with the path ... the error returned was :Unable to open Web project ... The file path ... does not correspond to the URL .... The two need to map to the same server location.
While this message does not seem to indicate a ZA problem, the site loads without ZA but not with ZA. I did check in IIS, the site is started and the localhost server folder is the same as the local folder.

Okay, my next question is: how about DNS? That's port 53. Is the IIS server being accessed by a DNS name or IP address?

Just a big WARNING!!! There have been LOTS of issues with the new ZA 5... Many of them are documented (somewhat) on the ZA forums... The big one is that it doesn't play nicely with some AV software (MacAfee especially)... If you're doing email scanning with your AV, I'd be very surprised if it still works...http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board?board.id=instI found this out thanks to Ranger Bob...Here's his thread at MPC: http://www.mypcclinic.com/forums/showthrea...16&page=1&pp=15

littlebone
Okay, my next question is: how about DNS? That's port 53. Is the IIS server being accessed by a DNS name or IP address?
Before I saw Ryan's post, I checked out the ZA site and one of the Forum issues indicates that 5.0 does not work with IIS. There were no replies from Zone Labs, so I can't tell if this is a feature or an overlooked problem. One poster flamed as follows:
They simply messed up big style at the thought of the extra revenue from bundling an inferior AV product with it. They apparently knew about and ignored this problem from the beta test...
I tried to install an older version of ZA, but the 5.0 uninstall that precedes it seems to have left an invalid DLL. The old version gets a function not found in a DLL, and won't work. This kinda leaves me unprotected at the moment.I'm going to the system backup to restore the entire ZA directory to see what happens. News at 11.EDIT: It took a while, but I got the older version of ZA 4 reinstalled. Had to go through installing ZA 4, and uninstalling it so that I could re-install it again. That left me having to retrain it, but that is minor. ZoneLabs just lost my trust in re new versions.

Yeh -- there are a lot of e-mail scanning issues with ZA5. Some experimenting shows that is affects Win98SE, WinME, Win2K and WinXP installations with virtually any version of NAV, NIS, or NSW for sure and certain.I have checked it with NAV2001, NAV2002, NAV2003 & NAV2004 -- in all cases, the email scanning (both inbound and outbound) was crippled. Tests using the EICAR files showed that the autoprotect function was still operational and provides protection if the user attempts to open the e-mail, but the infected e-mail does get through.It is reported that this problem occurs with other AV packages as well, but I have no first-hand knowledge on that topic.Restoring full e-mail scanning required a complete (clean) uninstall of ZA5 followed by a re-install of ZA4.5 (I used v4.5.530.000). The clean uninstall can be accomplished by following these instructions.If anyone can't find a copy of ZA4.5 and needs one, v4.5.594 can be DL'd here.

JohnARigali

I work for an IT consultancy/VAR. :D We typically deploy the personal edition ZoneAlarm on PCs that don't have other firewalls pre-allocated to them (e.g. Norton Internet Security bundled with the PC's motherboard, or firewall software purchased by the customers beforehand).An FYI to those of you who enable both email scanning in your installed anti-virus program and MailSafe in ZA: I have not yet seen MailSafe in ZA 3.x and 4.x "play nicely" with the email scanning of Norton AntiVirus 200x and Norton/Symantec AntiVirus 7.x/8.x -- in which case I disable MailSafe -- but, so far as I've seen in the past few weeks, MailSafe in ZA 5.0 does appear to "play nicely", so I enable MailSafe in ZA 5.0. B) Don't take this to the bank -- God knows I'm not the foremost authority on ZoneAlarm :D -- but bear this in mind when you upgrade, deploy or troubleshoot ZA yourself.

Fred Langa had a big problem with Zone Alarm 5 and had to go back to version 4.5. I use Norton AV2002 and upgraded to ZAPro5 without noticiable problems. One thing though is NAV doesn't appear to scan my outbound email, but the Norton control center shows it to be working. ZAP5 email scanning also appears active.

• 1 month later...