Nero Video 2014 editing software with Win7

macdunn

In spring 2014 I started recording videos using my Canon EOS 60d. I had purchased the Nero 2014 package because some of my other Nero software was no longer working with Win7. The Nero 2014 (not the Platinum version) package included Nero Video 2014. I am running on both a Dell box and an Intel box, both with Win7 Ultimate, both with dual-core processors, the Dell with 8GB RAM and the Intel with 16GB RAM.

I have found Nero Video 2014 important to me because the .MOV videos files which my Canon EOS 60d produces do not play properly with several different video players I have been using on Win7 (video/sound sync is off and video is jerky). So, as well as wanting a format which I can play on my iDevices, I have been using Nero Video 2014 to Export my .MOV files to .MP4 with no problems (video and sound sync properly and the .MP4 videos play smoothly).

I have recently started to do some video editing, adding video transistion effects and such. Also, no problem when just adding additional graphics files or videos clips.

Nero Video 2014 also has special effects such as adding text to the graphics/videos. However, when I have added any Text Effect to a video, when I go to Export the video (to .MP4), I get a non-descriptive error message in the Export window saying simply that an error occurred and the program then returns to the video editing window.

Does anyone have any idea if this is a limitation to the "non-Platinum" version or ???

I know from more than 30 years of experience with other products that some "non-Platinum" or such light versions may show a function but in reality the feature or function are not supported unless you upgrade to a "Platimun" or full version.

TIA,

-Mac-

• 2 weeks later...

To all interested parties -

some further information regarding the use of NeroVideo 2014 (non-Platinum version) -

1) my original question had been regarding a error when exporting an edit file which had Text added to a frame and then trying to export it to .MP4 format. I have found that the error occurs when exporting to .MP4, but DOES NOT happen when exporting to a .AVI format!

2) a subsequent issue is when I have tried to 'embed' an exported [from NeroVideo 2014 (non-Platinum)] .MP4 on a Webpage using JW Player. When an .MP4 file is created, the exported .MP4 file plays only the audio track, not the video track, with the JW Player. This is a problem with the file when exported from NeroVideo 2014. I determined that it is a problem by using another .MP4 file from a different source and found that the second .MP4 played both the audio and video in full-sync. Unfortunately, the second software program is not a video editing program for editing videos which I have created with my Canon EOS60d (it is a DVD-ripper program which I used to converted my purchased DVD to .MP4).

Thanks!

-Mac-

• 6 months later...

2) a subsequent issue is when I have tried to 'embed' an exported [from NeroVideo 2014 (non-Platinum)] .MP4 on a Webpage using JW Player. When an .MP4 file is created, the exported .MP4 file plays only the audio track, not the video track, with the JW Player. This is a problem with the file when exported from NeroVideo 2014. I determined that it is a problem by using another .MP4 file from a different source and found that the second .MP4 played both the audio and video in full-sync. Unfortunately, the second software program is not a video editing program for editing videos which I have created with my Canon EOS60d (it is a DVD-ripper program which I used to converted my purchased DVD to .MP4).

It has been a while since I wrote on this thread, but I only got back around to looking at the problem of a MP4 created with Nero Video 14 which played the audio track but not the video.

Well, the MP4 video created by Nero Video 14 is saved as an MP-4 Part 2 Video Codec, not as H.264 which is needed with JWPlayer. I thought I was going to have to use another 'recoder' but am happy to find that the Nero bundle includes Recoder which does the conversion.

I will admit that I do not look at all of the programs in a 'bindle', only those which I think will need. That comes in part from my more-than-30-years in the software industry, starting with DOS systems where we had to conserve space on our HDDs (my first was a 10MB HDD, really), and did not want to install the unnecessary stuff which was included.

I originally intended to use Nero Video just to convert my .MOV videos from my Canon 60D into .MP4s which I could then watch on iDevices. Since then, I have used Nero Video to also add titles, combine video clips, etc. However, the results then are in the MP-4 Part 2 codec. Now I have found out that I can take those MP4s and recode them. What I did not take the time to learn was that Nero Recoder will recode AND convert the MOVs to MP4s with H.264 codec in only one step. However, without the editing step / functionality of Nero Video.

A second reason I use Nero Video (or maybe you have another which you use) is to convert an original .MOV video to a smaller .MP4 video, for example a 340MB .MOV recoded to a 74MB .MP4 video.

So, if you have MP4 videos which you are trying to embed in HTML with the JSPlayer (Javascript) and the audio plays but not the video, you can use Nero Recoder, or Transrecoder or other recoders.

Best,-Mac-

Edited by macdunn
  • Like 1