Dead PSU

securitybreach

securitybreach

So earlier out of nowhere my computer just turned off. Well after troubleshooting with Fran, we decided it was the PSU. As this is my main rig, I needed one as fast as possible.

I was going to order one from Amazon and such but I ended up going to Best Buy as they had one for the same price as Amazon. I managed to get there 5 minutes till closing. Here is the PSU I bought: *Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze*

I paid $89.99 plus tax = $95.45

Amazon has it for $89.99 + shipping (free 5-8 days or $12 for 3-5 days)

So I actually came out cheaper from BestBuy. Amazing huh? I actually despise BB and would never go there if not for the emergency.

cxm750_detail_contents.png

http://www.bestbuy.c...black/8324202.p

http://www.amazon.co...uct/B00ALK3KEM/

I had to reinstall syslinux (bootloader) by chrooting in, had to reconfigure bios (mixed up sata cables on the 4 hdds) and had to reconfigure my monitors as I didnt plug them in the same

ports. I really need to label things but all good now. It is a good thing that I use UUIDs in fstab or I would of had to reconfigure it as well.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

PSUs sure have gotten cheaper these days. I remember buying my old Antec 450W Trupower back in '06 or something like that. The darn thing cost me $150 (@ Best Buy).

I'm lucky these days. I have a Tiger Direct brick and mortar store just down the road a piece from me. I LOVE that place!

Guest LilBambi

It was great that it did turn out to be the PSU. It sure seemed like it and after some troubleshooting, it seemed more like it.

Was a good bet in this case. And proved to be the correct answer.

A lot cheaper than some of the alternatives it could have been. ;)

Great deal Josh!

FWIW, I have a Corsair CX430 modular in my latest build and it has been an excellent performer. I don't need that much power since the system I built has an APU handling processor and video duties. The modular feature is very nice because you don't have to stash a lot of unused cabling in the case somewhere.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar experience recently also, came home and hit On switch and nothing happened. I went and bought a nice new Seasonic PS, got back home and tried the switch one last time and it hummed to life! It's a Antec EarthWatts 650W and has been totally reliable before and since. Still don't know why it wouldn't start that one time.

At least I have a good spare now. :)

• Like 1