• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• securitybreach

• amenditman

• sunrat

• abarbarian

1965–1970 Shelby Mustangs are titled under their Shelby VINs, but the cars also have a Ford VIN. One way of verifying whether or not a car you’ve found is a real Shelby is to take a rubbing of the Ford VIN from at least 2 of the 3 places it’s found on the car and sending it to the Shelby American Automobile Club, which has the records of which Ford VIN corresponds to which Shelby VIN. They will tell you if it’s correct or not, but if it’s not, they won’t tell you which Ford VIN that Shelby VIN is supposed to have.

SAAC also keeps a very complete registry of Shelby cars, and there are a few cases where a Shelby Mustang was crashed, the Shelby mechanicals and VIN were transplanted to another Mustang shell, and, sometime later, the original shell was rebuilt as a Shelby with the Shelby VIN (which typically would be found on a title for said shell). In this sort of circumstance, SAAC notes that the former car was rebodied, while the latter car was re-engined. Both will appear in the Registry.

Along those lines, when Carroll Shelby got a heart transplant from a Las Vegas-area bartender who was killed in some sort of crash, there was some discussion in SAAC circles about whether Shelby was re-engined or the bartender was re-bodied.

• Like 1

Interesting but why post that here?

Because the last paragraph is the funniest thing I saw on the internet today of course. I laughed.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Interesting but why post that here?

Because the last paragraph is the funniest thing I saw on the internet today of course. I laughed.

Ah ok