My First Experience With Tbird 0.6

Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet

Hi, guys-Dumb question of the day: When I installed Tbird 0.6 this morning, it did offer to create a Profile upon first opening. That I did uneventfully. But something is really bugging me. During my initial account setup, where it asks for the correct syntax to send and receive mail from my ISP server, the program never asked me for my email account password to log onto my server for emailing. I have never seen this behavior in an email client before. Unless the darn thing is psychic, and knows how to snoop around my machine and snarf up the password from another source, it does not know the password. I have not actually tried to send or receive any emails with it yet. Not real important. I must have about 5-6 different clients on this machine (at least!), so this is not hurting me for now. But come on! I can't even figure out how to put in the password manually. I will eventually go look at the online help (I much prefer built in help files, I hate to go online for a help file!). Anyway, I thought I'd ask here first. I expect the overall quality of this client is going to be good, as I am very much pleased with Firefox, but this is sort of a rough first outing. So what am I doing wrong? I'm feeling a bit stupid at the moment. :)

Hi Clutter, I do believe all you have to do is hit "Get Mail", or whatever the button says, and you will get a prompt asking you for the password. It should also give you an option on whether to save the password so you do not have to type your password every time. It is just a security feature for people who do not want their passwords stored on their PC.

Cluttermagnet

Bingo!Very good, Stryder- thanks! It all makes perfect sense once it has been explained. I did a mail fetch and entered my password and allowed it to be saved. Had to click by a warning window, of course. My computer is a personal, at-home type, so I have no concerns about securing it 'on site', only against the possibility of online hacks. Looks like Tbird is set up a bit more secure than most email clients. I'm used to being asked for pop (or mail) and smtp info, plus a password. Tbird doesn't even ask for the password during initial setup, thus my confusion. I appreciate the help. Looks like a good, capable client. I will give it a workout and see how it holds up. :thumbsup:

A little while back Tb was my main mail client then I made a switch to linux never was able to fully configure it quite the way I wanted in linux so went back to mozilla mail.Eventually switched to Moz mail in Windows as well.After reading this thread Clutter d/l Tb0.6 I love it :P :) integrated offline components make it great for me especially since am on dial up.IMAP support has been good in Tb since 0.5 and 0.6 is no different.Installed and configured mail options in less than 5 mins. :rant:

Cluttermagnet
A little while back Tb was my main mail client then I made a switch to linux never was able to fully configure it quite the way I wanted in linux so went back to mozilla mail.Eventually switched to Moz mail in Windows as well.After reading this thread Clutter d/l Tb0.6 I love it  :P  :P integrated offline components make it great for me especially since am on dial up.IMAP support has been good in Tb since 0.5 and 0.6 is no different.Installed and configured mail options in less than 5 mins. :w00t:
Hi, jodef-From what I hear, the email client in Mozilla is currently a pretty decent one too. I need to give it a try, I guess. I have Moz1.6. I'm trying to keep current but I prefer to stick with 'stable releases'.Tbird has been getting good reviews all along in this forum. It was finally the client that made LilBambi 100 percent happy, and she is a power user who needs some of the less often used features. It beat everything she tried before.Having been so impressed with the excellent progress of the Phoenix/ Firebird/ Firefox browser family, I expect a pretty good performance from Tbird, too. From all I hear, I expect that is what I'll be seeing. :w00t:

I've only used TB very little (my main account is a weak hotmail account--so I have no use for it), but from what I saw, I liked it a lot.I can't help with very many TB questions, but this forum has some very knowledgeable people.

Coming from someone who's been running Tbird since the Pre 0.1 days, I can tell you that I've never considered changing to anything else since I made the switch. Tbird has it's quirks, but it's always been very stable. Now that it's getting closer to a full production release, there are many more extensions and themes than there used to be. Developers have finally written extensions to add the "missing" features that we've been asking for since the project started. If you haven't checked out the extensions page before, or haven't been there in awhile, there are some great new extensions! (make sure you right-click and Save As if you're downloading them from Moz or Firefox)

Cluttermagnet

Thanks, Ryan-I have now had time to use Tbird for a few days and also installed it on a friend's computer. Today I downloaded four extensions to try out- Offline, Chromedit, Quote Colors, and MagicSLR. I'm very happy with this email client so far, and have found it pretty easy to use- fairly intuitive, in fact. The one thing that threw me was when the setup routine did not ask for my ISP email password as all other email clients did in the past. Mozilla might want to think about mentioning that in the description so new users know what to expect. This is a good example of where software fails to match users' expectations, even though the differences are actually a feature and improve security. When you do something differently, you probably need to alert users.I did come up with one more question so far- how do you create new mail folders? No mention of that anywhere I have looked so far. Did I miss it? I'm a happy camper with this software so far. ;)

Just right click on the account name in the folder window and select new folder... ;) If you want it as a sub-folder, just right click on the folder you'd like it under and hit New subfolder :D

Cluttermagnet
Just right click on the account name in the folder window and select new folder... B)  If you want it as a sub-folder, just right click on the folder you'd like it under and hit New subfolder :)
Thanks, Ryan-That is what I was looking for. I'm still liking this client a lot.Another question that came up for me is- can you do email previews? I have Mailwasher, Pegasus, and Pocomail which all allow you to view headers on your ISP server. Mailwasher can even download message bodies, text only, and read the mail if you want to, and it carefully notes the full url of any graphics but does not download them. Kind of like a pair of software 'tongs' for gripping potentially 'radioactive' emails that might include viruses or 'phishing' scam redirects. Can Tbird do any of these tricks?