Tablet security

zlim

securitybreach

Unfortunately that would not work for me due to data caps and outrageous costs for data overages for cellular 3G/EVDO in our area on Verizon Wireless.

Also, backing up Settings and Account info uses very little bandwidth.

Well, I'm still stumbling around but I do like it more than I thought I would. I've learned the "important to me" things : how to take pictures, putting in and safely removing my micro sdhc cards so I can listen to music and watch movies and installing apps. One I use is the local news channel weather.

I'm still a keyboard and mouse person so I was happy when the OTG cable I bought and attached to a powered USB hub allowed me to connect a keyboard and use it with no problem.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Maybe you could post the image of attaching to your cable since you got a nice inexpensive cable and USB keyboard instead of having to use an expensive Bluetooth one?

I watched a YouTube video with someone using an ASUS Memo 7" (2013) before I decided to spend $1.47 on the cable. :teehee:

keyboard_Memo.JPG

the white cable goes to the powered USB hub. I also attached two external hard drives and a USB stick. Not all at the same time. I need to try my mouse too.

securitybreach

Very nice! I have one similar for my nexus 7. I really just bought it to play around and try to play a movie from an external disk. It worked fine so I tossed the cable in the drawer and it has never left since.

The ASUS has a slot. That's why I favored it over the Nexus. I can play my music and watch movies that I put on cards. All my movies are on sdhc cards so I copied two from the normal size card (that I use in my 7" ASUS and 11.6" netbooks) to the micro sdhc that fits in the tablet.

securitybreach

I usually just stream them from my main rig via nfs share and my Nexus 7 has enough room for one or two while on the go. That and I always have the latest version of Android on my Nexus devices. My phone and tablet are at 4.4.4. now

• Like 1

I usually just stream them from my main rig via nfs share and my Nexus 7 has enough room for one or two while on the go. That and I always have the latest version of Android on my Nexus devices. My phone and tablet are at 4.4.4. now

There is an app in Play Store called Wifi Transfer Pro that makes transferring back and forth from Android devices to/from PC browser simple. It cost a few bucks (about $4 as I recall) for the Pro version, that doesn't limit file size, but it is well worth it. You only pay once and can then load it on multiple devices, so long as you set up Play Store with the same account.

You start the app on the Android device and it shows a URL you type into your browser on the PC. Your browser then shows a page that has a file manager for the Android device plus the file transfer to/from the PC. Of course, you can bookmark the page in your browser so you don't need to type in the URL each time. It allows transfer of multiple files or whole folders.

securitybreach

Yeah, there are a lot of apps like that... Airdroid, andftp etc. I have been using andftp (ssh transfer) for about 5 years now. There is a pro version but since I only use it for file transfers, I do not need the extras that the Pro version offers:

AndFTP is a FTP, FTPS, SCP, SFTP client. It can manage several FTP configurations. It comes with both device and FTP file browser. It provides download, upload, synchronization and share features with resume support. It can open (local/remote), rename, delete, update permissions (chmod), run custom commands and more. SSH RSA/DSA keys support. Share from gallery is available. Intents are available for third party applications. SCP and folder synchronization are available in Pro version only.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lysesoft.andftp&hl=en

I use Wifi Transfer (not the pro version) to transfer pictures I take.

How do I find out the version of Kitkat? I know it was updated the other day but all I know it was 4.4 and not sure how to find the last digit.

Ooops, as usual, I found it after I asked the question. Under settings and about 4.4.2

Edited by zlim

securitybreach

Ooops, as usual, I found it after I asked the question. Under settings and about 4.4.2

I knew you would...

Tonight's goal was to add a 2nd gmail account and be able to check the inbox. I'm not sure exactly what I did but I managed to add my husband's alumni account with gmail. I could not figure out how to sign out of mine so I did a workaround. Mine comes up when i click the gmail icon. For his, I launch FF and scroll through the bookmarks until I find his. It isn't pretty but it works.

Not: I do not do google+ and I do not browse with chrome. It might have been easier under different circumstances. BTW I am signed into 4 gmail accounts on my devices. B)