Apollo 11 anniversary

securitybreach

Guest LilBambi

Nice! I lived in Orlando for a year or so but I lived in Daytona Beach for 13 years and went to Cape Canaveral quite often to watch shuttle launches.

Very cool! Would love to have lived close enough to do that!

One more.

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

This covers about 20 minutes, from the time the lander separated from the command module until the stay/no stay decision is made.

This project is an online interactive featuring the Eagle lunar landing. The presentation includes original Apollo 11 spaceflight video footage, communication audio, mission control room conversations, text transcripts, and telemetry data, all synchronized into an integrated audio-visual experience.

Until today, it has been impossible to comprehensively experience mankind's shining exploratory accomplishment in a singular experience. We have compiled hours of content available from public domain sources and various NASA websites. Thamtech staff and volunteers generously devoted their time to transcribe hours of speech to text. By using simultaneous space and land based audio and video, transcripts, images, spacecraft telemetry, and biomedical data—this synchronized presentation reveals the Moon Shot as experienced by the astronauts and flight controllers.

• Like 3

Today the European space agency Put a satellite into close orbit with a comet 650000000000miles away in deep space .The high resolution pictures coming back are phenomenal. Next job is to place a lander on this comet for further exploration. Irish experimental machinery on board . .....Not bad eh!

• Like 3

I saw an old episode of The Twilight Zone the other day. Someone stole a spaceship and traveled 10 million miles with it. 10 million miles doesn't sound like much these days and upon further research it turned out it's only about a quarter of the distance from Earth to Mars. I don't know what happened after 10 million miles. Maybe it just stopped.

650 billion miles sounds like a lot but that's the total distance traveled by the spacecraft, which orbited the sun several times over 10 years before reaching its target. The comet's orbit is more eccentric but is roughly the same distance from the sun as Jupiter.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Today the European space agency Put a satellite into close orbit with a comet 650000000000miles away in deep space .The high resolution pictures coming back are phenomenal. Next job is to place a lander on this comet for further exploration. Irish experimental machinery on board . .....Not bad eh!

I have been reading about this as of late. Very neat stuff :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Probably Apollo 10. Snoopy was the name of the LM on that mission.

Apollo 10 orbited the moon and Snoopy detached from CM Charlie Brown in preparation for a full landing. He came within 48,000 feet of the surface.

How did the astronauts resist the temptation to land? Snoopy's ascent module didn't have any fuel. Apollo 10 was the last test before a real landing.

Snoopy pilot Gene Cernan finally got to land on the moon on Apollo 17. He is the last person to have walked on the moon.

Edited by Webb

Gene Cernan - The last person to walk on the moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTWeUK8UCSE

As Cernan prepared to climb the ladder for the final time, he spoke these words, the last currently spoken by a human standing on the Moon's surface: "Bob, this is Gene, and I'm on the surface; and, as I take man's last step from the surface, back home for some time to come – but we believe not too long into the future – I'd like to just (say) what I believe history will record. That America's challenge of today has forged man's destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon at Taurus–Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17."

Cernan's distinction as the last person to walk on the moon means that Purdue University currently holds the distinction of being the alma mater of both the first person to walk on the Moon (Neil Armstrong) and the last.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...