Six Linux home automation clicks

securitybreach

securitybreach
Yes, that is a crockpot. Yes, it's a LInux-powered crockpot you can control from your Android or iPhone smartphone. And, there's lot more home Linux-powered Internet of Things gadgets and technologies out there. Here are a few of the ones I found particularly interesting.

05wemo-crockpot.jpg

Summary: Long before people were talking about the Internet of Things, Linux-based home automation systems were available. Here are some of today's most interesting Linux-powered home gadgets....

http://www.zdnet.com...000031232/#phot

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

I sure hope it has fully updated and encrypted software .... I love Linux, but as with any OS, I worry about the connected world and how secure the software is and if it can be updated.

Hedon James

Software updating is a double-edged sword, IMO. Half the time, an update fixes a broken or missing feature...YAY!!! The other half of the time, it seems to break something that was previously working...BOO!!!! For this reason, I don't usually care for the latest & greatest version of anything; I'm usually perfectly happy running (slightly) older software that functions just fine. But once a bug is discovered (or introduced), I can't wait to update! It's practically a "Rain Man" thing for me, checking several times a week, if not per day, to see if a fix is available yet!

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah. You sure wouldn't want some pimply-faced kid in Indonesia hacking into your crock pot and then using that as a gateway to your fridge and grocery shopping list. :unsure:

• Like 3

I refuse to believe that the manufacturer will ever bother updating crockpot software. And you thought patch Tuesday was bad, imagine trying to keep track of software versions for every appliance in your own personal "Internet of Things" to be sure you're not running obsolete software. I can just see it now, Comcast will shut off your internet access because your crockpot is part of a botnet spewing spam instead of stew. :'(

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

I refuse to believe that the manufacturer will ever bother updating crockpot software. And you thought patch Tuesday was bad, imagine trying to keep track of software versions for every appliance in your own personal "Internet of Things" to be sure you're not running obsolete software. I can just see it now, Comcast will shut off your internet access because your crockpot is part of a botnet spewing spam instead of stew. :'(

That could eventually become a reality....