Linux Journal is an "extremist forum"

securitybreach

securitybreach

Wow, this is completely nuts:

NSA: Linux Journal is an "extremist forum" and its readers get flagged for extra surveillance

A new story published on the German site Tagesschau and followed up byBoingBoing and DasErste.de has uncovered some shocking details about who the NSA targets for surveillance including visitors to Linux Journal itself.

While it has been revealed before that the NSA captures just about all Internet traffic for a short time, the Tagesschau story provides new details about how the NSA's XKEYSCORE program decides which traffic to keep indefinitely. XKEYSCORE uses specific selectors to flag traffic, and the article reveals that Web searches for Tor and Tails--software I've covered here in Linux Journal that helps to protect a user's anonymity and privacy on the Internet--are among the selectors that will flag you as "extremist" and targeted for further surveillance. If you just consider how many Linux Journal readers have read our Tor and Tails coverage in the magazine, that alone would flag quite a few innocent people as extremist...

http://www.linuxjour...ra-surveillance

• Like 1

I guess I should expect the black helicopters to land on the lawn any day now. On further thought, maybe just wanting to use an alternative operating system is enough to make you suspect. Any deviation from the norm . . .

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

UH OH! I actually used to subscribe to the dead tree format, too. My ascii is grascii! :o

I guess I should expect the black helicopters to land on the lawn any day now. On further thought, maybe just wanting to use an alternative operating system is enough to make you suspect. Any deviation from the norm . . .

Google and Microsoft have a large lobbying network. Makes one wonder, huh?

• Like 2

I guess I should expect the black helicopters to land on the lawn any day now. [...]

They have already been there.

you just aren't that interesting.

• Like 1

Some days the Sicorski passes overhead a few times. I think they are just intrigued by my building technique. :clap: :clap:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

The black helos are now using a cloaking device that was borrowed from the craft at Area 51. They had to work out some kinks, but it's been in use for about two years now.

So, this is what the black helos look like now...

Impressive, huh?

• Like 5

UH OH! I actually used to subscribe to the dead tree format, too. My ascii is grascii!

Yeah, me too.

They have already been there.

you just aren't that interesting.

Care to share the source of your information?

Getting back to the original story.... it kind of makes sense in a way. Those who would have a reason to evade surveillance would be using things like tails or tor. While the story is disturbing, it says that this is not a deterministic factor in surveillance. This likely means that use of tails/tor/linux is a signal that is combined with a variety of others to make a final determination to collect the target's information.

Adam

• Like 1

Getting back to the original story.... it kind of makes sense in a way. Those who would have a reason to evade surveillance would be using things like tails or tor. While the story is disturbing, it says that this is not a deterministic factor in surveillance. This likely means that use of tails/tor/linux is a signal that is combined with a variety of others to make a final determination to collect the target's information.

Adam

From the article:
According to an article on DasErste.de, the NSA considers Linux Journal an "extremist forum". This means that merely looking for any Linux content on Linux Journal, not just content about anonymizing software or encryption, is considered suspicious and means your Internet traffic may be stored indefinitely.
  • Like 2

Funny old business .The spook trade. Shadows watching shadows.Paranoia being paranoid. The staff numbers must be humungous .

Pity it's needed. Shame the way things turned since the 60's .It seemed a lot tamer then .

Just have to hope and pray for better times.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Adam

I use 2 out of 3. I guess I'll be in Guantanamo pretty soon, huh?

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

There are military helicopters that fly between OLF fields and the bases around here and they go right over us sometimes really close and frequently. Really annoying.

This whole attempt at blackballing (in effect) is ludicrous... Linux Journal is a wonderful publication that I have been reading for years as well!

The black helos are now using a cloaking device that was borrowed from the craft at Area 51. They had to work out some kinks, but it's been in use for about two years now.

So, this is what the black helos look like now...

Impressive, huh?

eric you weren't supposed to talk about it. Now they will...hey what is that a bumblebee or a drone?

• Like 2

[Edited to fix broken link. AG]

Hello,

Here's the list of IP addresses and FQDNs from daserste.ndr.de/panorama/xkeyscorerules100.txt:

(currently resolves to tor.noreply.org)

(currently resolves to moria.csail.mit.edu)

(currently resolves to belegost.csail.mit.edu)

(currently resolves to dannenberg.ccc.de)

(currently resolves to tor.dizum.com)

(currently resolves to rgnx.net)

(currently resolves to tor-dirauth.sebastianhahn.net)

(currently resolves to ehlo.4711.se)

(currently resolves to ides.fscked.org)

bridges.torproject.org

linuxjournal.com

tails.boum.org

www.torproject.org

No actual attempt to target boingboing.net, despite Cory Doctorow's comments.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky
Fixed URL
  • Like 2

Putting people into a monitored category is bad enough. Putting them into an extremist category is on another level.

In World War II Americans of Japanese decent living on the west coast were removed from their homes and moved into camps. The gov't thought some were potentially dangerous, so all were detained and interned.

In time of war just being in a pre-existing category is all it takes for you to lose everything.

• Like 3

Guest LilBambi

Yes...tragic. Hate to think we are beginning down that path again. You would have thought we would have learned from past mistakes.

V.T. Eric Layton

Learn from past mistakes? HAHAHAHA! :hysterical:

You give homo stupidous much too much credit. :(

• Like 2