If your smartphone was hacked byt the government, this is how it could

ross549

http://www.fastcompany.com/3032330/fast-feed/if-your-smartphone-was-just-hacked-by-the-government-this-could-be-how-it-happened

Galileo attacks a variety of mobile operating systems, including iOS, Android, Windows Mobile, and BlackBerry, and can capture anything from keystrokes to voice and video content to calendar entries. It can even reportedly map the movement of a target on Google Maps, and can disguise its activities carefully, monitoring the battery life of the device and then performing energy-intensive tasks only when plugged in.

Yikes!

• Like 2

I think the risk of compromise/infection is far lower on smartphones... they were designed in the past few years, with security in mind.

Adam

• Like 1

The key takeaway in this article is that is is NOT blanket surveillance. The device must be compromised first through jailbreaking/malware.

Adam

• Like 1

securitybreach

This is why I encrypt my phone and also keep "Unknown Sources" unchecked. That way I could only get infected if they managed to infect an application on the Market. Luckily I only use well known applications, read reviews on them and look at the permissions of said applications. Plus Eset notifies me of any changes to applications. Not saying it could not be done but there is minimal risk by my actions.

Also if you are a target, they will find a way in....

securitybreach

Ah... the joys of stupid phonedom. :)

They can hack old phones even easier than the latest smartphones. Remember the whole "they can remotely turn on your device, record audio and take pictures" from the 1990s.

This is why I encrypt my phone and also keep "Unknown Sources" unchecked.

I do not Jailbreak my phone for the same reason. Jailbreaking breaks the iOS security model in a big way.

Adam

• Like 1

My smartphone is perfect for me and my business. Well worth it.

Definitely good for you. I don't need one and can't see laying out the money and getting all the associated worries.
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I never cared much about phone hacking. My crowd was into swiping crystals out of 10m ham rigs to use in CB radios; and later, doctoring PLL pins to achieve illegal high (10m) and low frequencies in our CBs. Oh, and we loved linear amplifiers, too. Those were fun days (actually, mostly nights... late, late nights). :)

One of the most trickable CB radio ever made... Cybernet chassis JCPenneys Model 6247 40Ch SSB. I miss this ol' girl. I had this and a 6241 model. Both had three stages of frequencies by the time I was done tweaking them... 40 upper, 40 legal, and 40 lower. :yes:

jc_penney_40_channel_amssb_cb_radio_exc___in_orig___box_1_lgw.jpg

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

Hacking takes many forms. Jim was also more into electronics side of things, and now computers and networking, but he's always been intrigued by all aspects of taking things apart and putting them back together, fixing things, creating something knew, even the tools he needed to do an electronics job.

My Dad was a bit of hacker himself; always doing all kinds of things with engines, early electronics, fixing things, and always building, creating.

My Jim and my Dad respected each other very much.