Flowers !!!

abarbarian

I had a photo of my friend Ullam with a sledgehammer knocking chunks off the top of the Berlin wall . He just left Ireland and all his stuff in the flat one day and vanished . Next thing we knew we had the photo from him .

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

The trees are my oaks (six in the backyard). I grew them from acorns in Spring of '87.

aftrake04_032012.jpg

The blue on the house was a gift to my mother back in '93. She loved that shade of blue. Even had her little car painted that color.

LeftView.jpg

The cat is Fluffy Orange Kitty. He's a good boy! :)

fluffy_orange_kitty-2011.jpg

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, the outside ferals end up with some terribly un-original names sometimes. For instance, out there right now are: Mama Girl, Fluffy Orange Kitty, Pippy (short for Pippy Longstockings, who ended up being a boy kitty. So, now it's Pippy for "Pip" from Great Expectations now), Sharky-boy, Bootsie Girl, et. al.

My inside kitty, Li'l Black Kitty was an outside feral kitten originally, hence the name she got stuck with. ;)

• Like 1

Them petunias do not look like any we have over here Eric. Neat that you grew the oaks from acorns. Pretty cat. :clap:

mac ... pretty on pink indeed ..... what are they ???

ebrke .... in eastern europe they have a different type of birch to the standard silvery ones they grow more like sycamores or oaks.

urmas ... thems tallllllllllllllll trees.

More pics folks, we need more pics. :bounce:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Beautiful old fashioned pink azaleas mac!

Here's our pink ones close up:

13874351294_76a638ea43_o.jpg

And our kinda hotpink/purple-ish ones close up:

13873972875_d574418113.jpg

Not from this year though...

Think Pink!

Great azaleas Mac and Fran! Mine weren't up to much this year, the deer got most of the new growth, so very few flowers.

Beautiful old fashioned pink azaleas mac!

Here's our pink ones close up:

13874351294_76a638ea43_o.jpg

And our kinda hotpink/purple-ish ones close up:

13873972875_d574418113.jpg

Not from this year though...

Super dooper flowers. :clap:

Great azaleas Mac and Fran! Mine weren't up to much this year, the deer got most of the new growth, so very few flowers.

Ditto them darn deer. :'(

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Thanks! As I say, those are not this years...but wanted to share the closeups from a few years back.

Those two plants were given to us by my Dad when we moved here. He gave us cuttings from his big old fashioned azaleas. Since my Dad passed away, these flowers help keep his memory alive for me.

You guys have shamed me into taking some photos of my yard . Next sunny day I will.

Oaks from acorns nice one. :thumbup: I put two walnuts in pots in 85 . I got one huge tree and one dwarf.

Photos to follow

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm not into gardening. I have a black thumb. I picked the Mexican petunias because a friend of mine had one in her backyard and I liked the color. Also, they grow like weeds and are pretty care free... my kinda' plant. :yes:

• Like 1

There you are Eric two customers already for your new Horticultural postal Service. :clap:

You may be well advised to point out to your USA customers the Federal Warning applicable.

WARNING

Mexican petunia is listed as a Category I invasive species by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council. This means that it is "altering native plant communities by displacing native species, changing community structures or ecological functions, or hybridizing with natives". This warning applies to all parts of the state of Florida (and other areas with similar mild climates). Where hardy, the Mexican petunia excels at invading wetlands.

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't know if they produce seeds. It's probably illegal to ship them, anyway.

They're not pushing out any native plants where I have them planted. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Funny.

Mexican petunia is native to Mexico, but it has escaped cultivation and established in disturbed areas in the SE U.S., and can be found invading habitats across Florida (seeWarning below).

If their so EEVIL, why are they sold at Home Depot, Lowes, Kmart, Walmart, etc?

Hey folks have to make a living in these hard times.

Give a false senders name and addy and send them to Mr Smith an we will be covered. :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Once you get one plant established, just break off a sprout and literally stick it in the ground nearby. It will grow to an entirely separate plant... quickly, too. :)

No worries, Eric. I can get them from Amazon. :yes:

Had a read about these plants, seem to have a mixed bag of opinions about them.

Worthy of note,

Here in Florida (Tampa Bay) they sell a sterile version which will not reseed. Planted in late March they are about 4 ft. tall already. Somewhat lanky and got blown around somewhat by a recent windstorm, but they are now standing upright again. Flowers are fairly abundant and a pretty purple. Bees love them!

http://forums.garden...7079656.html?34

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1428/

I may grow some just for fun. :lol:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Cluttermagnet

Belatedly, here is a shot of some of our 'garden' on the deck. A motley collection of various planters with 2-3-4 different plants depending on the size of the soil ball. These are all annuals. We got a little more variety this year. Betty has had good luck with New Guinea Impatiens, so we always plant some of those. This year we also got some Coleus and Caladiums for an extra dash of color. We got one Begonia this year.

DSCF1470a_zpsd121d265.jpg?t=1406145985

Sorry for the poor photography. I've never been much of a photographer, and have never bothered to learn or to invest in good equipment. So what I get is what I get. This is from a Kodak, maybe an AX-250 if I remember correctly. I bought it as a factory refurb through Newegg. It makes the plants look a bit washed out. I may just not be exploiting the full capabilities of the camera. I just point and shoot and let the camera figure out what it wants to do for settings. FWIW it's been fine for candid shots of various stuff and junk around the house, photos of the cat and friends, etc. For a fifty dollar 'like new' camera, it's been fine, mostly. It's just not going to take any award winnning shots...

Edited by Cluttermagnet
  • Like 1

I'm envious. Something, not the deer amazingly, is getting at all my hostas through the garden net I shroud them with. Maybe some smaller animal (rabbit?) that can push underneath. I only have a few flowering plants in pots because I bring them up on the porch every night. My neighbors put up a baby gate at the top of the stairs from their yard to their deck because they think the groundhog is what is eating at their deck plants--given his fat, squat physique I'd love to see him climbing those stairs. You don't know how lucky you are--your deck looks just lovely!

Cluttermagnet

Most folks around here can't keep Hostas. This works only because they live up on a deck in an insulated planter. So they winter over OK. That pot has been regrowing for at least 5-6 years now. The deer would finish them off elsewhere. Betty has one small surviving variegated Hosta that miraculously comes up each year in her front garden. I think the spreading Cedar or whatever may be acting as a deterrent. That and the deer would have to cross a little paved driveway, perhaps? Who knows? It grows up right out of the middle of a ground hugging Cedar. Small bed, too- certainly reachable by deer (in theory).

Stairs are exactly what are keeping our plants whole.

• Like 1

Neat planters they will look great as they grow on. Your decking is really neat I'm green with envy. :happyrollsick:

Sounds like you folks have wildlife problems on a larger scale than we do.You can not compare slugs to ground-hogs. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1