Just bought a new SSD, now what?

securitybreach

by which time SSDs will really be cheap obsolete. ;)
:harhar:

that is a good 5 year plan, hope it works out better than Uncle Joe's. :lol:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Wow that is nuts! Amazing that well known companies would pull this crap. I could understand a knock off brand or a smaller brand doing this but Kingston has been around for a looong time.

Wow that is nuts! Amazing that well known companies would pull this crap. I could understand a knock off brand or a smaller brand doing this but Kingston has been around for a looong time.

I always thought of PNY as bottom of the barrel and Kingston as being a step up from that. Guess they both are having a hard time being profitable with the new tech.
  • Like 1

I'm pretty happy with my OCZ Vertex2. I know they had a dud model a few years back (Petrol?) with 15% return rate but since then they're on par with other top brands. I would happily get a new OCZ especially now that Toshiba owns OCZ drive division.

• Like 1

securitybreach
I would happily get a new OCZ especially now that Toshiba owns OCZ drive division.

I didn't know that.. interesting :thumbsup:

B)

Guest LilBambi

With any hardware; particularly RAM and hard drives, and even motherboards, timing is everything. They all take turns at having bad runs.

Anyone interested in a ssd will find some excellent information here.

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB

Today we are looking at the stepped up Chronos Deluxe model that uses the same SandForce SF-2281, but pairs it with premium 3Xnm Toshiba Toggle Mode Flash. To date there are very few companies offering SSDs with Toshiba Toggle flash. We've already seen the Patriot Wildfire, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G (latest revision) and OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, but now it's time to see what the Chronos Deluxe has to offer.

Chronos deluxe 240 GB and Chronos 240 GB Review

A respectable maker of overclocker-friendly memory from the United States, Mushkin Enhanced has never been aggressive in its marketing, so its brand is largely known only to enthusiasts and geeks. It’s not easy to win this target audience, but Mushkin has succeeded. Its products have always been high quality and its tech support, up to the mark.

Mushkin Chronos DX 480GB SSD

The 50% of capacity fill test gives us a good understanding of what's really happening to SSDs when you get a lot of data on the drives and how they behave. When looking at that corner case, and it is a very big corner, the Mushkin Chronos DX does very well against the new drives on the market and is even a little faster than nearly all of them.

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB RAID 0 SSD

We've chosen one of LSI SandForce's largest partners, Mushkin, to represent today. Mushkin is a fabless memory company that specializes in SSD's, RAM and various flash based storage devices. Mushkin's Chronos Deluxe is one of a few SSD's that are still available in configurations that utilize IMFT 25nm NAND arrays. IMFT 25nm NAND is "the good stuff", featuring superior performance and longevity in comparison to today's 20nm IMFT NAND.

Mushkin Chronos 240 GB

Based on our performance results, it is clear that the Mushkin Chronos 240 GB will not set any performance records. It is clearly held back by the fact that only four flash chips are installed on the PCB.

While synthetic performance numbers look pretty bad, actual real-life performance is surprisingly good. On average, we see performance that is 25% lower than today's highest-end SSDs, like the Samsung 840 Pro or OCZ Vector. 25% might sound like a lot, but it is not, especially if upgrading from a mechanical hard drive that is many times slower.

Unlike many SSD manufacturers, you can buy Mushkin products on their website directly from the company. Mushkin also has a network of resellers, but in many cases the best prices come from Mushkin directly. Because of this, Mushkin, the SSD Company that you rarely hear about, has some of the lowest priced SandForce based drives available on the market today.

These are super value ssd's and over here they are as cheap as chips at the moment. The 120GB is the one I have ready for my new Arch install. I have a 240GB DX with Windows 7 for gaming and it is really fast and I am running in slower Sata 2 so what will it be like at Sata 3.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Mushkin has been the flash memory business for a long while (founded 1994).

I have found their RAM in many computers. Don't really know if the OEM put it in or it was aftermarket. I have never had a failure of one of their products.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Ah ok. I had just never heard of them and I have been building computers since the 90s. I tend to steer clear of brands I have never heard of. B)

Not many manufacturers can say they design, assemble and test their products in the U.S.A. But Mushkin has been making its products in the U.S.A. since its inception in 1994. That means, for more than 19 years, we have been uniting all aspects of performance to engineer something you can't get from a spec sheet.

I really want one of these but then I would have to build a new pc to match it. So that ain't going to happen for a while.

Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe PCIe SSD

Proving true to its specifications, the Scorpion Deluxe not only reached performance of 2.1GB/s read and 1.9GB/s write, but also, retained its performance in our grueling steady state testing with speeds of 1.9GB/s read and 1.6GB/s write with over 100K IOPS. Imagine being able to transfer 25GB of video files in just over a minute flat and at a price that won’t break your pocketbook.

Mushkin apparently use Micron nand which is pretty well respected and widely used. :breakfast:

I really want one of these but then I would have to build a new pc to match it. So that ain't going to happen for a while.

Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe PCIe SSD

I wouldn't buy a PCIe SSD as they are difficult to boot directly from. I've heard of people using an extra small SSD to put /boot and MBR/UEFI loader on as a workaround.

V.T. Eric Layton

I wonder what the data transfer rate differences would be?

PCIe (x16) --> 80 Gbps (encoded), 64 Gbps (unencoded)*

SATA 3.0 --> 6 Gbps*

Hmm... PCIe much faster than SATA. That makes sense, though, because PCIe is basically running right off the main buss.

Well, anyway...

*Rates from Wikipedia articles about PCIe and SATA 3

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy a PCIe SSD as they are difficult to boot directly from. I've heard of people using an extra small SSD to put /boot and MBR/UEFI loader on as a workaround.

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/mushkin-scorpion-pcie-ssd-review-480gb-wicked-performance-great-price/

This is a informative review and test of three different PCIe ssd's. Man these things are fast. They include test results for one of those old fashioned oh so yesterday Samsung 840 Pro (not the slower Evo) ssd's which show just how slow they are. :Laughing:

In the comments section there is some information as to booting from them which you may find interesting. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian