Patch Tuesday Sounds the Death Knell for Win XP

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Patch Tuesday Sounds the Death Knell for Win XP - Graham Cluley - Lumension Blog

So this is it.

The big one.

We’ve had false starts before, but this time Microsoft really *are* going to tell the world about security vulnerabilities in Windows and *not* patch them in XP.

As soon as Microsoft releases its regular bundle of security patches later today, the clock starts ticking.

Because malicious hackers and penetration testers will be exploring how they can reverse-engineer Microsoft’s fixes in more modern versions of Windows to see if they can be exploited on the no-longer-supported Windows XP.

And, trust me, although the numbers are falling – there are still plenty of home users and businesses running computers on Windows XP.

Much more in the article.

And Graham Cluley is right ... they are NOT patching Windows XP this time for this critical IE/Internet Explorer vulnerability. And Adobe is dropping support soon too. Although their latest update does seem to include XP this time.

Oh, and don't forget your Adobe updates for Flash, Reader, and more!

From FCS Blog.

V.T. Eric Layton

The WindowsXPcalypse is imminent. We're all doomed. Oh, wait... I'm not. I don't run XP. :clap:

The WindowsXPcalypse is imminent. We're all doomed. Oh, wait... I'm not. I don't run XP. :clap:

I am? Should I live in fear?

Guest LilBambi

Windows XP still garners 26.29% of total NetMarketShare - Choose Operating System by Version. Windows 7 is at 49.27% Between them Windows 7 and Windows XP hold 3/4 of all the global market share. Every other OS fits in the last 1/4 of the Operating System by Version pie.

Guest LilBambi

If you are still needing to use Windows XP for work or some other reason, it is strongly suggested that you change the settings for Active Scripting to Prompt instead of Enable (which is where it likely currently is set).

From this article from HealthcareITNews that was posted May 1, 2014 before Microsoft fixed the zero-day vulnerability for everyone's IE including WinXP is the way to help mitigate this. Microsoft did not fix this latest vulnerability for IE in WinXP around as is noted in this topic's lead article. This is why this mitigation would be a wise move for XP users as noted by David Harley, senior research fellow at ESET:

In the short term, there are steps that can be taken to put up at least an adequate defense against the risks posed Internet Explorer.

David Harley, senior research fellow at IT security company ESET, suggested setting IE's Active Scripting and ActiveX to "prompt." It's "mildly irritating," he admitted, "but seems to reduce the attack surface if you actually disallow it on prompt unless you know you need it."

You can use the following steps to locate and change IE's Active Scripting and ActiveX to "prompt" as suggested above.

Adjust Internet Explorer ActiveX settings

To run genuine Windows validation, you must install an ActiveX control. Internet Explorer might not be configured to download ActiveX controls for security reasons, or you might have declined to install the ActiveX control when Internet Explorer prompted you to download, install, or run the control.

If you would like to change the way Internet Explorer handles ActiveX controls, do the following:

1. Open Internet Explorer.

2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.

3. On the Security tab, click the Custom level button.

4. Scroll down the Security Settings list until you see ActiveX controls and plug-ins.

5. For Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls, click Enable.

6. Scroll down to Download signed ActiveX controls and click Enable or Prompt.

7. Scroll down to Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins and click Enable or Prompt.

8. Scroll down to Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting and click Enable or Prompt.

9. Click OK, and then click OK again.

After you have completed these steps, retry Windows validation to run the test again.

Edited by LilBambi

V.T. Eric Layton

I am? Should I live in fear?

Most assuredly.

scaredy-cat.jpg

Only if it turns you on :laugh:

Don't you mean, "Only if you turn it on." ;)

• Like 2

Guest LilBambi

As I say, Microsoft made a BIG mistake ending life support for Windows XP because it's STILL more than 20% of the global market share.

Nice to see there's one way at least to qualify for the 1% - use Linux. :yes:

And that's the only way I'll EVER qualify as part of the 1%!
  • Like 1

I came to Linux .Because I'm pigheaded,stuborn ,adventuresome and just downright mad :angry2: with microsoft. :angry2: Greedy gits.

And honoured to aspire to the 1%.

abarbarian

And that's the only way I'll EVER qualify as part of the 1%!

That's the only kind of 1% I would want to be a part of actually...

I'm shocked !! You mean you do not aspire to be part of the most exclusive club in the world. :Laughing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club

One percenter

Some outlaw motorcycle clubs can be distinguished by a 1% patch worn on the colors. This is claimed to be a reference to a comment made by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in which they stated that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying that the last one percent were outlaws.

Guest LilBambi

:hysterical:

Nope. I remember reading an article about the 1 percent (1%) at The Atlantic I think it was and the title was something like why th 1% don't feel rich. I was like what the....if they don't feel rich, where does it put the rest of us. :yes:

When the top 1% have about 40% of the world's wealth and they number only slightly less than 30 thousand people, all I can say is; no wonder the rest of us struggle.

LilBambi

I often get that sinking feeling that I am caught up in a Catch22. life. Re:- the way the resources are skimmed and the really worthy are hammered.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Man! What school did that queen go to? ;)

Real American English lesson,

Wife Beater Shirt

Wife-beater-shirt.jpg

Vest

p188l203u91mdiao412a3650cml4.jpg

:hysterical:

• Like 1