Juswannasayello!!!

Capt.Crow

Lesson learned with this anecdote.:-Never ignore or over-ride one's gut feelings.

Having checked the weather forecast I gave in to a friend who wanted to get a friend of his out on the sail-boat on the open sea.

This person was never on the sea before as he comes from a land-locked country in East Europe (a nice lad).

So we assembled at the harbor and duly cast off and set out.I knew the breeze would be a bit stiff so set sails with a full reef in .

All was Ok for about an hour or so when the wind really got up and the breakers started washing the decks.with heavy spray.Being off the land and blowing so hard along with the heavy motion of the waves and rollers the boat would not answer the helm beyond 30% headwind ,so there was no way I could stay out with novices on board,Lucky my 18yr old son was with us,and between us we got the boat turned and headed back to harbour,Fairly surfing on the way.

Our passengers never realized that we had just been battling through a yellow wind and never should have been out in that.

The wind warning was later than my last metcheck with a small boat warning.

Either way I should never have ignored my gut feelings just to accede to someone else's wishes.

Upside:- The lad and I work really well together and we learned a good bit about handling a 9mtr yacht in near storm conditions. :thumbup: :yes: :yes:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So the autumn is upon us now and it will not be long before the first nightfrosts are here in this little island . I have enough fuel to bring us up to the new year. After that it's out with the chain saw .There is a lot of otherwise useless scrub to be taken down as soon as the leaves drop.

The older I get the shorter the years seem.

The lad landed a place in Dublin City Uni. His chosen field "applied physics " We are so pleased for him . All that's left now is some way to cover his finances for the next five years.

We have had a couple of music/drinking sessions in Capt.Crow's bar. We also inaugurated *Capt.Crow's Crash Band * So far the lad has recorded three sessions on his G 3g . I've heard one and when I asked him for copies later He could not find them nor upload them to his pc. Dingbat!!!

He was also supposed to create a Facebook page for Capt.Crow's. But I guess he will never sort that out .

I will and when it's up and running will post a link so you may all have a good laugh.

dazzit 4 now.

Edited by Capt.Crow
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anson at the ripe old age of 18yrs bar a couple of days went to other ethers on Monday night.

He is buried at the bottom of the garden and a sycamore sapling has been planted at the top of his tiny plot.

Oddly enough I was out repairing the road fence today and I could swear he was nearby .I kinda kept getting glimpses of him but when I looked there was nothing .

He was a very good and well behaved little dog and we miss him ...Big time...

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be written that I have garden company all the time . Since Anson is no more ,this big black cat has me under surveillance from the hedges around the property . I move ,he moves . It's definately a feral cat that may just come in from the cold.

There also have appeared a pair of grey squirrels who play a lot on the lawn and are stealing the walnuts . It's very entertaining to watch them . They are still very timid . Wonder if they are more afraid of me or the feral cat .

Life is full of beauty and interest when we take time out to just sit and watch .....

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I can't believe its almost a month since I told yall about the feral cat. We've had a fortnight of really high winds and torrential downpours,so I was a tad worried about *Greycoat* but all is OK . I saw her today and she is coming a good bit closer ,looks in good condition and none the worse for the rotten weather. Man but she is getting very vocal.You would get a great laugh if you could see us meowing to each other ,I have some cornfed chicken leftovers for her tomorrow. The tasty bits are left out for her during the day and she is coming for them . She is good at that . A feed and a conversation and then she just stalks off. I must see if I can find where she is nesting so the kittens ,when born,will get used to my scent.

The river Shannon is bursting over the banks and levies and so many people have been flooded out of their homes with the usual devastation and all so near to xmas. 09 was the last time the river flooded so badly and none of the remedial work was strong or high enough.The Celtic tiger saw a lot of houseing erected on the flood plains by greedy speculators..Now the piper must be paid..

All this on top of sooooo many families made homeless by the Bankers.foreclosing on what were totally overpriced properties.

The whole capitalist system over here is totally rotten. Imagine Mum Dad and kids sleeping in shop doorways. All over Dublin and the towns and cities here. Sickening.

On a lighter note.........Sorry can't think of any. ... just now.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Must sneak pic of the "Greycoat." :yes:

Yeah, I've watched huge home developments built over the years on land that was previously swamp. Nowadays, these homes are cracking their foundations, getting flooded regularly, or getting sucked up by giant sinkholes. The developers, builders, etc. are long gone from this area. They made their money. Ain't it grand?

Today we had torrential rain for 14 hrs. As usual the local :"stream"overflowed . Had a great day watching the torrent rushing down the back street sitting by the stove . In the low parts of the garden there was 2ft of water .Weirs that I built did a great job of slowing down the flow so the outlet ditch could cope .

Nothing came into the ground floor as the lower door steps were built 12"above max flood level.

I knew when I bought the land that it could be subject to flooding . Which I don't mind as it leaves silt in the grass and washes the paths and yard spotlessly clean.

Now what pithes me off is that the county allowed developers to build and sell totally overpriced chickenshacks there. This is supposed to be a republic where people rule.. No way. Maybe 5% of the elected attempt to run things right . But the rest are avaricious piggies. **** bent on huge salaries.

Our taisioch (prime minister) is paid more than Obama .

Rant over..

Edited by Capt.Crow
  • Like 1

This morning during a break in the downpour we heard a cat .When we looked out ,there was Greycoat peering out from the hedge. So the lad opened the door with a small piece of bacon fat and Greycoat slunk over and took it from his hand .Progress aha! so we got a small tin of sardines in oil and put it down for her . Sure enough she came back over and got stuck in to that. Taking advantage I slowly hunkered down in front of her and little by little she let me stroke her back ***RESULT*** She is so wild I just left her to eat then as I didn't want to get scratched.. She is very heavy with kittens and must have been very hungry not being able to hunt in the pouring rain ,which has been heavy for days now.

Will keep up a progress report as things unfold.

• Like 2

This morning during a break in the downpour we heard a cat .

Is it still raining? Have you given any thought to an ark? Glad you're taking care of Greycoat. Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

:hysterical: Ark... That thing is built like a huge barge...Anyway I have an inflatable ,a dingy and an 18ft drop keel race boat. All in the yard .So should be OK to get to higher ground if needed :hysterical:

Rain faded to drizzle and went away this afternoon still heavy overcast and another front working it's way from the south west. Kept a good lookout for Greycoat today ,no sign, maybe still stuffed after the tin of sardines. :ShrugSmileySnagGB:

• Like 2

Last nights front came through like a HST. Took about an hour to pass but scared the pants off me . Everything shook and rattled . Had no damage Dia Gratia

Greycoat turned up this afternoon and ate like a ravenous tiger . A pound of chicken pieces and a half litre of milk diluted with a little water.

I never knew a cat could put away so much . So far so good

:clap:

• Like 2

Last nights front came through like a HST. Took about an hour to pass but scared the pants off me . Everything shook and rattled . Had no damage Dia Gratia

Greycoat turned up this afternoon and ate like a ravenous tiger . A pound of chicken pieces and a half litre of milk diluted with a little water.

I never knew a cat could put away so much . So far so good

Well, she's eating for, um, let's say several. Glad you had no damage from the most recent weather event.

Well Greycoat came galloping up to me the minute I stepped out into the yard this morning .. Real friendly and smoochy.. So for the first time I got a real good look .. Turns out Greycoat has jewelry and the big belly comes from a heavy infestation of worms....Sheesh!!!!

Now what do I do . The feeding has put a fairly good shine on his coat, but if he don't get rid of the worms he is going to go downhill from here on in ..

How to get a worm pill into him without a good scratching is a problem ... Any ideas..

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, I would check to see if there is a local vet for low income folks around you somewhere.

Isn't there over-the-counter worming meds there that you can sprinkle into kitty's food?

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

cats won't eat medicated food.

Wow! Really? That's how I've been administering meds (wormers, vitamins, anti-biotics, etc.) to my cats for 17 or so years. My inside girls will eat any pill balled up in hamburger.

Wow! Really? That's how I've been administering meds (wormers, vitamins, anti-biotics, etc.) to my cats for 17 or so years. My inside girls will eat any pill balled up in hamburger.

Our Boston Terrier would gulp down his heart-worm pills by themselves. My sister had a Scotty, that the only way she could get the heart-worm pills (heart-worm disease is a real problem down here in the hot and steamy deep south) into him was by cutting up 3 "gulp-size" chunks of cheese, embed the pill into one of them, then give him a plain chunk first, then the pill laden chunk, then the last plain chunk, one right after the other. If she waited too long after giving him the pill chunk, and he chewed it at all, he'd spit it right out.

• Like 1

Our Boston Terrier would gulp down his heart-worm pills by themselves. My sister had a Scotty, that the only way she could get the heart-worm pills (heart-worm disease is a real problem down here in the hot and steamy deep south) into him was by cutting up 3 "gulp-size" chunks of cheese, embed the pill into one of them, then give him a plain chunk first, then the pill laden chunk, then the last plain chunk, one right after the other. If she waited too long after giving him the pill chunk, and he chewed it at all, he'd spit it right out.

Exactly. Cats almost invariably chew, whereas most dogs will gulp something they like. I've always had to resort to forced medication with cats. Eric is certainly lucky!
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greycoat... Well what can I say ... Today I was watching the birds at the feeder. So was GC. Then a humongous rat walked across the yard to pick up the fallen crumbs ,GC just sat there looking at it . So if he wont earn his tidbits ,he will get less . Now for a start chicken is off his menu.

We had a good xmas with a couple of really good music sessions . One in particular was an excellent jazz session . We had a classically trained pianist jamming with us (keys bass and drums). At the beginning she said she hadn't a clue . But it didn't take long until we were all in the groove. Why oh why can I not get anyone to record our sessions . They all say yes ,but when things get going recording is forgotten.

The garden has had a foot of water three or four times in the recent heavy downpours. The Shannon has wiped out a lot of houses and businesses. (google ) Now the really cold spell has taken hold and it is almost impossible to keep the crib warm . I am praying for a short winter so I can get back out into the garden and strengthen the dykes as the flood came to 1 1/2 inches of the top..

My best wishes for a happy and fulfilling 2016 to all on BATL.

• Like 3