Juswannasayello!!!

Capt.Crow

• 2 weeks later...

Update:- As you know I have been moaning about how cold it is in the radio shack. Well I've managed to take the edge of it for the duration .

I was in the outside workshop today and I spied a mini gas heater,a tiny Caribe .It's supposed to run on camping gas but that's way too costly and the bottles are very small. So I've converted it to run on an eleven kilo Portagas bottle . Butane. The element is only 6x4.5 inches. It has two but I have disengaged one and the one remaining is just enough to keep the shack enough above ambient temperature to be comfortable.

There is no smell and it's not in the way . I just hope it wont raise the humidity levels to cause condensation inside the towers when left off when I'm not in there.

I will find out tomorrow as I intend to look inside the towers before I start up .

• Like 1

Calculate there is almost 6000cu.ft, in here with an open stairwell. Should be ok. Had it on for 5hrs last night ,so many draughts in here there is too much air circulation. So "no worries"

Thank you for your concern and consideration.

Eric when I first flipped the switch on the regulator there was a good hiss of gas . The gas company had refilled and distributed a bottle with a big crack in the rubber neck seal. I dread to think what would have happened if someone else had got this bottle .

Took a good seal off an empty and all good now.

Just a little hint:- If you suspect a gas leak . Take a sponge and wet it well.Put a good squirt of wash-up liquid on it and knead it till you get a good foam. Pat the foam around the suspect area and if you have a leak the foam will bubble up. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Just a little hint:- If you suspect a gas leak . Take a sponge and wet it well.Put a good squirt of wash-up liquid on it and knead it till you get a good foam. Pat the foam around the suspect area and if you have a leak the foam will bubble up. :thumbup:

That is the best way to find a leak.

I worked with a guy who would use a long lighter to find leaks. They never blew up, but man did they whoose when they lit.

Update:-Today I booted up my old DR-53L pushing matched SP-73's 16 ohm.Yes you've guessed it already . It's a JVC top end? sound stack.

The first vinyl to hand was Procul Harum .side one ...whiter shade of pale.

I haven't so much as looked at this gear for 15 years. I was amazed at how rounded and crisp the sound was over the full volume range .

The only fault I could find was the volume control was a little crackley turned up and down .The pot neads a squirt of cleaner or I just put up with it till it cleans itself. It's no biggie,

Out of curiosity I went out to the middle of the road and listened . Man that sound system was really well built .

So now I will slowly work my way through the couple of hundred disks that have been stored all this time .

I built a little sound station to house it out of the way . I have to sit down on an office chair to slide in there .

There is a sheet of velvet on the bench and I clean everything there before it goes on the deck AL-E31.

Happy days/memories :yes:

• Like 3

White smoke ..ummm! probably the wax paper wound resistors and capacitors cooking . You will never forget that particular smell.

Big pity it cooked . Valve sound systems were way ahead of today,s digikra%

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've had a free moment to catch up here.

The reason being that the bar opened on xmas eve and by the time it closed for the night I have been tooooo tiddley to come surfing or anything remotely needing co-ordination .

Today is the third day without visitors and I am now nearly sober. 20 days of beer and good cheer and never a foolish or angry word .

That bar is the best bit of building I have ever done . AND the best bit is that everyone that came for a session brought loads of stuff , beer ,whiskey, vodka,gin,mixers ,one guy even arrived with a bottle of Fletchers vintage port . Oh! Happy Days...

Can't wait for Easter ...lol..

• Like 1

Maybe I should move to Amsterdam... The worst of that would be that any tlc my hip got from thc would be abrogated by the the most furious damp that pervades the place all winter,spring and fall . So until the linctus reaches legal medicinal status here it's a couple of hot whiskey's and a rub of Devil's claw..

Me Granny used goose fat laced with camphor.

Update :- Today the lad and I felled one of the Elm trees that I started nuturing 35 years ago after it got a mean dose of Dutch Elm disease . The cure was a healthy mulch of goat dung . Aside from a 4'' core of dark wood the tree was perfectly healthy. So far we have a cubic metre of chopped fire wood .and plenty more to go .

The crocusses have come up already which gives us heart that it may be a short winter D.V. We pray that this year will not be as wet as last year. I mean I found honey fungus growing on the inside of a beautifull mahogany window wall. (behind a table)

Oh and if there is any wondering we are on the GMT time zone .So if my responses are a tad late ,that's why .

Anyone else finding that the years are getting shorter or is that an illusion

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

When you get old, everything gets shorter. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah, its a conspiracy B)

You're young yet. Wait a bit. It'll become reality before you know it.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 2

The weirdest thing is ,more is accomplished early in the day .and time seems slower . then the afternoon just disappears with little done .

Those afternoon naps will get you every time!

Too dmn cold to nap .just cutting up a felled elm for firewood . at present . With a ten yr old Power Devil chain saw that should have been recycled 5yrs ago . I love wood . Heats one threefold . cutting it chopping it and burning it . Forecast is freeze for at least another week . Mepoorowlbones.

securitybreach

Nah, its a conspiracy B)

You're young yet. Wait a bit. It'll become reality before you know it.

Oh believe me, times flies for me as well. That and I am not that young, I will be 37 in June....

I only sleep 4-5 hours a night anyway so taking a nap would really throw me out of whack.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

When I was your age, Josh, I already thought the days were racing by, and they were!

But, Just wait, as the saying goes, "you ain't seen nuttin' yet!"

Quote:-I will be 37 in June..

Just how many Geminii's are on this forum ????? I have passed 60+yrs on this planet . But aside from the odd touch of artritus I am fitter than most guy's 20yrs younger . lol

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, it starts zippin' along after about 35. You'll notice a definite speed increase at 45, though. At 85, the days are just like minutes... :(

• Like 1