Show us your bike!

ross549

V.T. Eric Layton

I loved that ol' Harley. Sure wish I still had her. I'll have another someday. :yes:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

There are three things that will kill you deader than a Seagate hard drive when it comes to motorcycling...

(in order of probability)

• the dumb ass turning left in front of you
  • the dumb ass hitting you from behind
  • the dumb ass holding the handlebars

Experience talking here from someone who's been riding motorcycles for 35+ years. :yes:

onbike-02.png

Great pic! Nothin' like getting out there on a bike. Jim had a Honda black and chrome w/burgundy accents ... it was beautiful. It was no Harley, but we all ride what we can afford. Now we don't ride anything but old clunkers. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Better pics of that bike taken by ChipDoc at a picnic for my club sometime back in '04, I think...

Heritage_02.jpg

Heritage_01.jpg

Hey! I'm still on topic. I'm showing my bike. That's what the title says. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Great pic! Nothin' like getting out there on a bike. Jim had a Honda black and chrome w/burgundy accents ... it was beautiful. It was no Harley, but we all ride what we can afford. Now we don't ride anything but old clunkers. ;)

The 2003 H-D Heritage Softail Classic (FLSTC) was my first official Harley. I did keep my brother's '02 H-D Dyna WideGlide at my house for the first year he owned it. He didn't have any place to put it. ;)

I rode a lot of Hondas and Yamahas over the years. I'm not one of those snobby Harley riders. In my club, if you're on two wheels (preferably with a motor ;) ), you're a brother... or sister. :yes:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Jim used to take me riding. He had a queen seat for me and I loved to ride. Would relax me so much it could on occasion actually nearly lull me to sleep late on a summer night.

amenditman

Jim used to take me riding. He had a queen seat for me and I loved to ride. Would relax me so much it could on occasion actually nearly lull me to sleep late on a summer night.

Not sure you really want to get that relaxed on any motorcycle.

Eric, only thing on two wheels I ride anymore is my wife's Electra bicycle. I am the motor.

Does that count?

Edited by amenditman
  • Like 2

The classiest bike ever made in the states was the ***INDIAN*** A purely magic machine for work and pleasure. Friend has one hidden in his lockup. Only takes it out just to run it up . 'n" do a little cruising .

Over here one don't ride a Harley . It a fashion accessory you wear it.

Me I fancy a Ducatti.

Edited by Capt.Crow

Guest LilBambi

Not sure you really want to get that relaxed on any motorcycle.

Jim was a very careful driver. But there are very few things that feel as good as riding a bike. Not sure with my arthritis if I could feel as comfortable on it these days, but great memories!

Thanx for the photo .. It's a pity it's swamped in leather. My friend's bike is original with the cream tank .It may have been a cop bike before it was imported here.

Knew a fellow back in the day who didn't own a car for years (admittedly there was almost always a woman in his life who had a car). His bike of choice was the Triumph--he loved them. He gave up riding when he passed 50, saying he had already broken too many bones and knew he wouldn't heal like he did 30 years before. I often wondered if he stuck to it.

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I fractured a couple ribs on a motorcycle once. I've had a couple other scrapes and bruise along the way, too. I'll ride till I feel I no longer have the reflexes for it. It's very, very difficult for a motorcycle rider to give that up. It's like telling a pilot they can no longer fly. It's been a torment to be without a motorcycle since March of 2009; longest stretch I've ever been without a bike, actually. :( The bicycle makes up for it a bit, but it ain't quite the same without all that power between your legs. ;)

• Like 1

Had a BSA 650 Gold Star when I was nineteen . Wish I had it now . I sold it for the money to get married. I was one crazy chucklehead

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

I finally wore my bike out. :(

http://noctslackv2.w...05/12/somedays/

YAY! Only one more tool coming before I can reassemble my bike and start riding again. I can hardly wait. I sure have missed riding every day. It's my mental health therapy along with exercise.

On a side note: the package I received today with one of the tools came from Guangdong (Canton), China. It only took 12 days for it to go around the world and end up in my mail box out by the street in front of my house. I know this is the new millennium and all that and I should be used to all this miraculous "smaller world" carp, but the fact is that I'm still darned impressed when holding a little package in my hands that was packed and shipped by a Chinese fellow or lady just 12 days ago and thousands of miles away on the other side of the world. Just fluking amazing, I think.

I'd have been happier if it came from somewhere in the U.S., but there's nothing you personally can do about that. :'(

Glad your bike is almost on the road though. :thumbup:

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm out in the shop right now. I re-assembled everything I could on the bike. I just have to take the rear rim to my local shop and have them replace two broken spokes and straighten it a bit. Once that's done, I can put the cassette (rear sprocket set) on and the tube/tire and install it on the bike. Lastly, install the chain, adjust dérailleur cables, if necessary.

Then... RIDE! Woo-hoo! :yes:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, must be a Friday the 13th/full moon thing.

I got my bike all back together. I even rode it around the block a couple times. However, while doing the final adjustments on the rear derailleur, a shifter cable broke.

*sigh*

I'll fixed this bike someday. I will, d*mmit! :angry2:

Guest LilBambi

Good to get all the 'weak' areas taken care of before it causes a dangerous ride though...I know it's frustrating but better safe than sorry. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

OK, the bike is all back together now. I basically refurbished the darned thing. About the only thing I didn’t replace was the frame, the seat, the handlebars, and the brake pads/cables; everything else is new.

Tomorrow, I’m planning on a short (4-5 mile) test ride around the neighborhood. I sure have missed riding my bike every day. Now I can look forward to putting another 10K miles on it. :)

Later…

~Eric

• Like 1

OK, the bike is all back together now. I basically refurbished the darned thing. About the only thing I didn’t replace was the frame, the seat, the handlebars, and the brake pads/cables; everything else is new.

Tomorrow, I’m planning on a short (4-5 mile) test ride around the neighborhood. I sure have missed riding my bike every day. Now I can look forward to putting another 10K miles on it. :)

Later…

~Eric

:clap:

V.T. Eric Layton

Took her out for a nice 13.5 mile spin this morning. Put her through the usual paces. Everything is working smoothly. Sure feels good to be riding again!

There was only one small problem... I could not use 17th gear (the largest chain ring in front and the largest cog on the cassette in the rear). It seems that my new chain may be about two links short. I could swage on a couple links from the old chain, but I'm not going to bother. Every other gear works fine. I never use 17, anyway.

Now I can put another 10K on this baby. Looking forward to riding it to work very soon!

bike2.gif

Edited to add "could not" above.

• Like 2