Show us your bike!

ross549

V.T. Eric Layton

Virtual biking is like virtual sex, beer, operating systems, etc. It just isn't quite the same as the Real Thing®.

• Like 2

There is nothing virtual about electrically assisted bikes . They will extend your range though. And,if you dont pedal you go nowhere.

Guest LilBambi

Jim made one when he was a kid and another when our kids were young. :yes:

No longer have it though and I wish we did LOL!

The really nice thing about them is when going up a steep hill ,you get a little push . Also on level ground against the wind its still fairly easy to keep to 20/25Km.per hour. I would really like to get the lad one with regeneration. But $ is a major factor there. Still he can get about 40/50 miles out of it between charges . Lion battery . Light gearing and pedalling over the motor range will keep the battery going a long time.

Being lazy and letting the bike do most of the work it costs circa 2cents a mile.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, not everyone bikes for exercise. Some bike for transportation, gas savings, etc. A motorized bike might be fine for them. Personally, I bike primarily for the exercise. I don't even take short cuts when I'm out riding. I want to get in all the pedal-strokes I can on a ride. :yes:

• Like 3

Me ,I never get to use his bike . as we live way out in the country it's a very good item towards his independance.

I'm stuck with a 38yr old Land Rover. Which is a beast ,it hates me ,it gets me there and I keep fit maintaining the animal .

• Like 1

Well, not everyone bikes for exercise. Some bike for transportation, gas savings, etc.

I bike for all three. :)

• Like 1

,it hates me ,it gets me there and I keep fit maintaining the animal .

Same here, though a different car. The driver's door wiring harness failed (VW made it just a touch too short), and I just got done replacing it. The job was not that difficult, but required a fair amount of patience. I ended up ordering three parts for the door (one of them I broke when disassembling it), and am waiting for the last part to arrive from china before I can put everything back together.

Incidentally, everything on cars these days costs a hundred bucks. It's aggravating.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

I'd love to have the Land Rover. A pal of mine at my private forum (and here - ReleaseRoderick) lives in Gravesend, U.K. He's a Land Rover connoisseur. :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I finally wore my bike out. :(

http://noctslackv2.w...05/12/somedays/

Some updates...

The local bike shop that is a dealer for Specialized bikes quoted me about $160 for parts and another $150 or so for labor to install everything. Mmm... yeah. I don't see that happening when I can add another couple hundred or so and have a brand new bike. So, the dealer's probably out of the question. I won't even buy the parts from them because I'm still going to have to buy about $25 worth of specialty tools to R/R some of these parts... cassette, crank, etc.

Another local bike shop, is still in the process of working up a quote for me. I'll give him till Tuesday for an answer. It's been a week already, but when I checked him yesterday, he apologized because he'd lost my list. I gave him another one and another few days to work up the quote.

In the meantime, I've researched al the parts and tools on eBay ($134.00) and Amazon ($128.00). I will probably end up ordering this from one of these two and doing all the work myself. What the heck? The bike is nearly completely disassembled already as it is. I just need the tools to take off the old cassette and the old crankset. Once they're off, I can start reinstalling everything.

I'm soooooo looking forward to getting my bike running again. I haven't been jonesin' for a ride this bad since right after I sold my motorcycle in 2009. :(

On a side note... when it rains it pours. My brother, bless his heart, has finagled some deal with his neighbor to trade a wine refrigerator for a nearly new Trek bicycle that the guy has. He's never ridden the bike. It was given to him a few months ago. It has flat tires. Supposedly, that's all that's wrong with it. My brother says it's very similar to my Specialized Crossroads. We'll see. He's supposed to be getting it sometime this weekend and bringing it over. If it turns out to be an 820 or a DS, that would be WAAAAY COOL!

We'll see...

abarbarian

Blimey these modern bikes sound complicated. Last time I worked on a bike all you needed was three spanners and a hammer and punch. :breakfast:

I put a knee out years ago on a building site . Was in agony for weeks . Its not so bad these days ,when it niggles I eat oily fish. Mackerel works the best but sardines in oil on toast does at a pinch. Keeping a knee sock on it really keeps it warm in winter and no niggles. Hope this is some help.

V.T. Eric Layton

walmart sells bikes for $150. they last a year or 2. throw it away. get another.

Funny you should say that, Temmu. I was so wanting to go for a ride this past Sunday that I did something pretty stupid, actually. I saw an ad for a really good looking Huffy Mountain bike at Kmart for $89. Walmart had a similar one for $79, but I hate giving my $ to Walmart, so I ended up going to Kmart and talking the Asst. Manager into matching the Walmart price on the Huffy for me. I even bought a 1 year no-questions-asked replacement warranty on the bike for $6.99 extra. I charged it on a credit card that I cannot afford to pay. Worse, though, that was $$$ that I needed to apply to my Specialized bike repair.

Here it is...

http://www.kmart.com...0W004255266001P

$T2eC16FHJGwE9n)ySdSDBRFtmesOPw~~_32-440x400-0-0.JPG

Sadly, I cannot ride this thing. Sometimes, with some things, you get what you pay for. There is MOST DEFINITELY a difference between a $100 bike and a $600+ bike. I'm not saying the Huffy is a bad little bike. It is pretty, that's for sure. However, it's just too small, too clunky, and too cheaply built compared to my beloved ol' Specialized Crossroads Sport.

Now I'm stuck with it because after nagging the Asst. Mgr. to match the price for me, I'm just too embarrassed to take it back. It's parked in my living room. It's really a pretty little bike. It's all clean and spiffy. It's only been ridden about three blocks. I even cleaned the tires off before bringing it back in the house. I'll figure out something to do with it eventually.

Maybe I'll have a sale with an incentive... Huffy Mountain Bike for sale --> $75 w/ 1yr replacement warranty and a free kitten. ;)

Oh, well... spur-of-the-moment buys are rarely my thing. I'm the type who researches all my purchases before I make them. I'm experiencing buyer's remorse this time, for sure. :(

It was what it was...

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first little RV-dodging incident this morning on the way in. The light was turning yellow as I entered the intersection, and the RV made a left turn almost into me.

I don't think I should have to play chicken on my bike. I think I will lose most times.

:angry:

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

It won't be the last. Be careful and alert to the stupid cage drivers around you at all times. :yes:

• Like 1

Had my first little RV-dodging incident this morning on the way in. The light was turning yellow as I entered the intersection, and the RV made a left turn almost into me.

I don't think I should have to play chicken on my bike. I think I will lose most times.

Adam

By RV I expect you mean a huge, lumbering recreational vehicle with someone maybe from out of state behind the wheel who doesn't know where they're going (or what they're doing). Please be careful--the life you save may be your own! :medic: Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Adam

Sheesh, and I thought it was bad with motor cycles.

Guest LilBambi

You do remember Jim telling you about the bozo who made a left turn out of a parking lot right in front of Jim when he was on his motorcycle. It's how the bike got totaled and his ACL was destroyed.

V.T. Eric Layton

You do remember Jim telling you about the bozo who made a left turn out of a parking lot right in front of Jim when he was on his motorcycle. It's how the bike got totaled and his ACL was destroyed.

There are three things that will kill you deader than a Seagate hard drive when it comes to motorcycling...

(in order of probability)

• the dumb ass turning left in front of you
  • the dumb ass hitting you from behind
  • the dumb ass holding the handlebars

Experience talking here from someone who's been riding motorcycles for 35+ years. :yes:

onbike-02.png

• Like 1