Show us your bike!

ross549

abarbarian

Commonly known as crunches and there is divided opinion whether they are beneficial or not.

There are a lot of different ways to do curls as opposed to crunching, it is hard to show in a static picture.However keeping your back muscles and abdomen muscles in good shape is a very good thing healthwise. Curls, a variety of them done properly will help to keep you healthy.

This is only my personal opinion based on over twenty years of training and empirical evidence gained from a gentle man who had practiced curls for over 60 years.Chee Soo may he rest in peace. :breakfast:

abarbarian

Where was the bike during the bus ride?

I don't bike any more--not that I ever really did very much. Aging bones and joints make me happier with walking; I can't afford to fall. Even walking is getting tougher--I live on a very steep hill and that is hard on the knees and lower back. Surprisingly, walking downhill is the hardest on your knees. Who'd have thought it?

Looks like you need one of these then.

mobility-caravan.jpg

:Laughing:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Here is a stock picture of mine as I do not feel like going downstairs right now

54618_trek_4300_disc.jpg

I didn't buy it but it originally cost $680

abarbarian

Here is a stock picture of mine as I do not feel like going downstairs right now

54618_trek_4300_disc.jpg

I didn't buy it but it originally cost $680

Did you nick it then :whistling:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Nah, my cousin bought it years ago and gave it to me last year. I have put it through a lot so it looks rough. I have ridden the bike over a 1000 miles (4 miles a day for a year) and wrecked a few times so it doesn't look as clean as the stock photo.

V.T. Eric Layton

Not the curling thing again. Sheeesh! Those things are no fun. Fun to watch others do them, though. :yes:

NGL_13MavsGirlsTryoutsCurlingHair_32133544_659858.JPG

:clap:

Treks are nice bikes. They're comparable to my Specialized. I have a Trek dealer near me here in Tampa. Wish I had the $$$ to buy a new bike... and get my old fav refurbished. Maybe after the lottery drawings tonight. :yes:

• Like 2

abarbarian

I finally wore my bike out. :(

http://noctslackv2.w...05/12/somedays/

Tough luck Eric. Don't worry though as it gives you a chance to start afresh and get updated.

2014-05-17-112012744x668scrot.png

Crowdfunding smart bikes and smart locks

On a serious note. you could take of the dodgy derailier and shorten the chai and use the bike as a fixed wheel. If it is flat terrain around you you can still get a bike ride in. not perfect but a get by. :whistling:

V.T. Eric Layton

Nope. Sprockets (front crank and rear cassette) worn down to points. Of course, I could set it up on a different gear than the one I use most often. That's a thought. I may have to look into that as a temp fix. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

On second thought, it wouldn't work. There's no means to tension the chain properly due to the fact that the rear axle on these style bikes are not installed in slotted openings on the frames. On single gear bikes (usually with coaster brakes) the rear axle fits into a slot on the frame allowing you to pull it back and tension your chain properly before tightening the nuts.

Oh well...

Try to get a much stronger spring for the rear idler. that will get you a bit further . Honestly though it looks like you will have to get mean with it and change the crank sprokets. You will have to use heat and a pullers to get the front crank off . Just had to do my sons bike (e-bike) It was not easy but a lot more economical than a new bike. He uses it to get to college and does about 6000Km a year.

Good luck with yours

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Try to get a much stronger spring for the rear idler. that will get you a bit further . Honestly though it looks like you will have to get mean with it and change the crank sprokets. You will have to use heat and a pullers to get the front crank off . Just had to do my sons bike (e-bike) It was not easy but a lot more economical than a new bike. He uses it to get to college and does about 6000Km a year.

Good luck with yours

Nah... it's apart already. The bike is in pieces on my work bench outside in the workshop. The only think I couldn't disassemble was the cassette (rear sprocket set). It takes a special tool. I don't have the $10 for it right now. The fellow at the bike shop where I'm getting the parts prices told me he'd R/R that for me no charge.

I was trying to figure how much mileage I've put on this bike since the beginning of 2011... at 10 miles a day, let's say, it would be a bit over 10K miles. No wonder the d@mn parts are worn out, huh? ;)

• Like 1

For the life of me I cannot remember what I made up to get the cassette out. I will look in the bike shed tomorrow and let you know. The kid wore his out by not changing down for steep climbs . He does now.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

No hills in Tampa. I wore mine out by toting my fat ascii around for all those miles. ;)

I've got that home made pullers on the desk here .It is a part of an old cassette. Wish I could photo it . Its the bit with the spline inside and a large female thread and a smaller male thread on the other end . and a big nut and bolt which goes thru the center. The head of the bolt fits the spline the nut is tightened and the thread which is left hand openes up the cassette from the wheel.

Reading this back its as clear as mud . But you may get the jist.

Friday was interesting.... about 95 temps, and I decided to bike home. That was a mistake. I think I almost died. The route I chose was not the most optimal... ended climbing a couple hills I could not even go up on the bike. Had to drop to walking for a couple spots. Not fun, but I MADE IT.

Today, I biked all the way in to work..... decent ride.... three hills that were somewhat a problem, but overall not too bad a ride.

:)

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

...hills I could not even go up on the bike. Had to drop to walking for a couple spots.

Hills can be a birch on a bike; even when down-shifting to lower gears. The facts of physics tell us the the same amount of energy is required to get our fat asciis up those inclines regardless of gear ratio. You either expend X amount of energy applying more force to the pedals (less crank rpms) in high gear or you expend X amount of energy applying less force to the pedals (more crank rpms) in low gear. Either way, you're going to bust your arse getting up that hill on a hot day.

Fortunately, here in my area, there are very few difficult inclines (no hills in FL to speak of ;) ). Most of the time I encounter inclines going over bridges or riding away from the river basin. Also, Downtown Tampa is in a bit of a hole. I can enter from the north (decline into Downtown) and exit to the west (very gradual incline), but I've only made the mistake of leaving Downtown by the northern route once.

biking.jpg

How'd you find that picture of me? :P

WMpx5wd.png

Going to work n the morning is a lot easier than coming home. The last hill is a bear.

Adam

• Like 2

How'd you find that picture of me? :P

WMpx5wd.png

Going to work n the morning is a lot easier than coming home. The last hill is a bear.

Adam

You're going to stay fit and in shape, that's for sure.