See the real moon photos from 1966.

abarbarian

The Hackers Who Recovered NASA’s Lost Lunar Photos

“Back then things were designed, even if they failed, to still do something. Today, most jet fighters would fall out of the sky if they didn’t have computers adjusting their surfaces and their pattern thousands of times a second. Back then they just had to engineer stuff elegantly so that it worked,” he says. “We feel that we’re completing the Lunar Orbiter 1 through 5 missions. They never formally submitted their stuff for the archives so we’re doing it.”

Truly amazing tale. Them folks deserve a medal. :breakfast:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Always great to see these old pictures mainly due to the technology of the day and being able to recover the image quality with current technology.

That's why NASA put a mirror on the moon. Lasers reflect nicely. ;)

Adam

They could have just dropped a double sided one from a low orbit, so that's no proof. :whistling:

• Like 1

I was stationed at McCoy AFB (now Orlando INTL airport) in Orlando in December 1972 when Apollo 17 was launched. That was the first nighttime manned spacecraft launch. From our home, about 50 miles West of the Space Center, it looked like the sun was rising! The roar from the rockets took a few minutes to get to us after the launch started. Awesome!!! :w00t:

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

yes, there's lots of evidence that it happened.

i grew up in orlando and watched 17 year's worth of nasa launches - pretty cool!

Me too, right from the first one on down the line!

Yes, good and bad in everything eh?

cool! i wish i could re-live those days! it was all pretty exciting back then, the promise of science fixing everything, the threat of nuclear war, o, wait!

You have to take the good with the bad, for sure.......

I miss that era of electronics. Due to the cost of assembling the boards and components, the design had to be well thought out. On one system I've trained on, the entire transmitter aplifier operated under the control of three transistors. Crazy, stuff, and put together in a truly clever fashion- and it WORKED!

Granted, these days everything is modular and has built in tests with an LCD readout so you don't have to think about what failed, but merely replace the board.

The more I read about the tech from the 60's and the moon shots, the more impressed I am by the mere fact that they made it safely. :)

Adam

The more I read about the tech from the 60's and the moon shots, the more impressed I am by the mere fact that they made it safely. :)

Adam

I remember visiting the Bradford Film and TV Museum in the 90's where they had an exhibition of Apollo Space mission kit. I was blown away with the state of the suits and all the kit, it was all battered and worn and I'll swear there was a patch on one of the suits.I was expecting chrome trim and shiny material and spacey looking kit. :shifty:

For what it's worth. This is from 1969.

First Men on The Moon

This covers about 20 minutes, from the time the lander separated from the command module until the stay/no stay decision is made.

This project is an online interactive featuring the Eagle lunar landing. The presentation includes original Apollo 11 spaceflight video footage, communication audio, mission control room conversations, text transcripts, and telemetry data, all synchronized into an integrated audio-visual experience.

Until today, it has been impossible to comprehensively experience mankind's shining exploratory accomplishment in a singular experience. We have compiled hours of content available from public domain sources and various NASA websites. Thamtech staff and volunteers generously devoted their time to transcribe hours of speech to text. By using simultaneous space and land based audio and video, transcripts, images, spacecraft telemetry, and biomedical data—this synchronized presentation reveals the Moon Shot as experienced by the astronauts and flight controllers.

• Like 2

abarbarian

You can always travel to the moon today. Be warned it is a dangerous place.

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/ltp/games/moonbasealpha/index.html

Moonbase Alpha

A 3-D Immersive NASA Exploration Game

466914main_mb-alpha-screen226x170_226-170.png

Step into the role of an explorer in a futuristic lunar settlement...

Your mission is to restore critical systems after a meteor strike cripples life support equipment.

The game is free to play and you can run your own servers for playing with friends. :whistling: