iAdam's Hunt for Red Oct... er, IT Certification

ross549

And of course, it would be one of the few chapters I get a 100% on the quiz.......

Hey, you got 100%. That's great! Are you saying that you feel you didn't understand some stuff even though you got a perfect score? That would be frustrating, I agree.

You won't see any of that in the first (CCENT) exam.

Good thing I spent all that time studying it yesterday then, eh?

Adam

Well, after a weekend visit to Vegs, my mind must turn back to link-state routing protocols.... I'm looking at you OSPF......

Adam

Well, after a weekend visit to Vegs, my mind must turn back to link-state routing protocols.... I'm looking at you OSPF......

Adam

Vegs??

Las Vegas.... We spent the weekend up there... Saw the Hoover Dam and walked the strip a bit.

V.T. Eric Layton

Question:

If you're planning on getting the CCNA using the two-exam method (ICND1/CCENT --> ICND2/CCNA), then why is this course you're taking not focusing on what you need know to pass that first exam? It is filling your head with superfluous carp that you do not need to gain your CCENT. EIGRP, OSPF and other routing protocols are not covered in any depth at all in the CCENT exam. They are the primary topic of the ICND2 exam.

Just wondering...

I don't know. It is part of the Cisco Networking Academy parts 1 & 2. We are not going in depth at all, though.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah... OK, then. You're just getting the briefing on the routing protocols. You'll get the in depth stuff eventually.

Today we did our intro to basic OSPF. The intro was not too bad, but I suspect the instructor is getting annoyed with the questions I am asking... apparently they are CCNA level, not CCENT like we are supposed to be learning to.

V.T. Eric Layton

Just bring him a nice shiny apple for tomorrow's lesson; sans razor blade, of course.

Las Vegas.... We spent the weekend up there... Saw the Hoover Dam and walked the strip a bit.

Ah, now I understand. Nice break.

V.T. Eric Layton

i missed that - my parents moved back from california & toured the hoover dam. i stayed behind.

It's just a big concrete wall. Beavers make more interesting ones. ;)

beaver-dam-insurance.jpg

V.T. Eric Layton

Meals Subsidized By Gamblers - MSBG. Sounds like a new charity organization, huh? ;)

What? No gambling? Fess up now!

Not one cent. I'd rather throw the money away and have some hardware to show for it. :D

nurp. if i were to visit vegas, it would be to see the disney-like attractions that it has become & eat the meals subsidized by the gamblers.

Considering gambling and boozing are not things I do, Vegas has little to offer other than the food and some sights. The Hoover Dam was far more interesting.

• Like 2

Yesterday was a nightmare in class. We are preparing for our final pratical test on routing. We had a system composed of two networks (OSPF and EIGRP) and a WAN link. Everything needed to talk to everything.

We were not supposed to touch the WAN router, as it was to be fully prepared for the exercise. It did NOT have a default route back to the two networks. >_< Once we got that fixed, we had to sort out a couple problems.

It turns out one of the core routers we setup had a typo in the subnet mask. Ooops. Fat fingered that one..... The only other problem we had was summarization enabled on hte EIGRP network. Once those two issues were corrected, we were good to go, and pings flew everywhere.....

I had a headache.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

We were not supposed to touch the WAN router, as it was to be fully prepared for the exercise. It did NOT have a default route back to the two networks. >_

I smell a intentional lesson placed in that WAN router...

It confused the instructor for about 30 minutes, so I don't think it was intentional. A good lesson, though. Always check the distant end if you can. :)

• Like 1

Today's "final practical" test went very well. The network was larger, with about 30 subnets. I started on the subnetting with one guy, and the other two on my team worked on all the basic router setup such as interface descriptions, passwords, motd, the works. One we got our two major pieces of work done, we took a small break, and then entered all the network data in, and then configured the routing protocols, making sure to save as we went. :)

When all was said and done, the network came up on the first try! woot!

Adam

• Like 2

. . . When all was said and done, the network came up on the first try! woot!

Terrific! Edited by ebrke

V.T. Eric Layton

No team to help you on the test, though. Know it. Know how to do it FAST! :yes: