iAdam's Hunt for Red Oct... er, IT Certification

ross549

Guest LilBambi

Yes, we know. ;) As a matter of fact, that change was what kept so many coming back to Jim instead of other places right up till the end. Jim doing component level repair was cheaper than the board swappers of that time.

Of course everyone except manufacturers do board swapping these days...Sad for the customer. It's much more expensive repair generally speaking.

For those who are not familiar with Adam's term: VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration).

Edited by LilBambi

It is sad.... as Eric noted, some of those capacitors are not difficult to replace (albeit above my soldering skill level). However, you need to know exactly which component has failed. That is where time is "wasted" in today's world- finding that broken component.

I remember the console TV my mom and dad had for my entire childhood. It was a super old model, with the large capacitors and transistors. It worked really well for a long time. Occasionally, a component would fail and Dad would call the repair man, who would replace the failed component and the TV would be like new again. It was really cool, but sadly, stuff is simply not made that way any more.

:(

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Of course everyone except manufacturers do board swapping these days...

What manufacturers? Surely you're not referring to U.S. manufacturers because there aren't any these days. Even my favorite companies that I always loved and was loyal to like Motorola and Zenith now use offshore assembly plants and Chinese-produced modular assemblies to "manufacture" their products. Entire main boards from Motorola business and marine radio systems are not sent back to China for refurbishing while recently refurb'd boards are used to "fix" the down units. The day of the long-haired, tattooed, chain-smoking, Harley-riding, Motorola radio bench techs are long gone.

London500pxX380px.jpg

The world moved on and left all us older farts in this unfamiliar place. Happens to everyone, eventually, I s'pose.

V.T. Eric Layton

From big computer hardware to personal (wearable/implantable) hardware.

Be the first on your block to get the GOOGLE Matrix port installed. You can be AdamNeumonic. ;)

matrix.JPG

Well, we are working our way through the routing protocols and concepts book. I was just working on notes for distance vector routing protocols. I think we start RIP in depth on Monday, and then EIGRP after that.

I have confirmed my eligibility for reimbursement for the ICND1 exam. The Navy will pay for it, but I will need to run some paperwork to get the voucher. I will do that as soon as I can get a firm date and obviously pad my timeline a bit for some studying. :)

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

RIP is pretty much obsolete. EIGRP is Cisco's primary routing protocol these days. It's source was opened by Cisco just last year, by the way.

sadly, stuff is simply not made that way any more
Well, some stuff is, or maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe this stuff just missed the era of disposability. I've got a couple of TVs that are 15+ years old, and one that is probably approaching 25--not replaced because they still work. Don't need latest and greatest huge flat screen, but it's funny to see the look on the cable repairman's face when he sees them. Edited by ebrke

Perhaps it did miss the era. I bought a 27" JVC tube TV back in 2003, and it was working fine when I got rid of it in 2008.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

The last Zenith I had lasted me 18 years. It still worked fine when I gave it away. My godfather next door bought one of those fancy-schmancy LCD TVs and gave me his old Magnavox 27" CRT TV. It was newer than my Zenith, so I considered it an upgrade. It's now my bedroom TV. Shortly after godfather gave me the Magnavox, my friend Jan gave me her 36" RCA monster CRT TV after she upgraded to an LCD. This one is my main TV currently. Works fine and dandy for me. I probably only turn a TV on in my house for a total of 2 hours a week, maybe. I don't watch much TV these days, and when I do, it's usually PBS or old retro stuff from the 50s and 60s; all over-the-air broadcasts, as I have no cable TV... by choice.

Perhaps it did miss the era. I bought a 27" JVC tube TV back in 2003, and it was working fine when I got rid of it in 2008.

Adam

My 25+ year-old TV is a JVC. Edited by ebrke

Some schmuck screwed up the ip addresses for the networks on the router on the right.... took me a while to find that one.

Adam

your lab work is a collaborative effort?

Nah, this was the preconfigured simulation for troubleshooting. We needed to get in and figure out what was wrong and make sure pings went through.

BTW, Cisco can take RIP v2 and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Some schmuck screwed up the ip addresses for the networks on the router on the right.... took me a while to find that one.

Adam

Practice finding those issues REALLY FAST. That's what the test sim questions are like. Make believe your boss wants you to figure out what's wrong with a network that Gomer and Goober set up. ;)

RIP this! ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I know that...

... and you WILL succeed, too!

Hint: Check for proper cabling and subnets. ;)

Oh boy... EIGRP.......

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Adam

Geez, I had to google that one! Thought at first your fingers had stumbled on the keyboard.
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

As Dr. Ciscostein works on his monster, RIP, his assistant, Eegerp, lends a hand. ;)

• Like 1

And of course, it would be one of the few chapters I get a 100% on the quiz.......

>_<

Adam

• Like 1