iAdam's Hunt for Red Oct... er, IT Certification

ross549

I am pretty sure I can get the Navy to pay for the certification as CCENT. Getting them to pay for the additional classes to get CCNA may be another matter, though.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

The test voucher costs $150, if I remember correctly. You can save by taking the combined test, though. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

The GOV pain for mine, too... tax payer, though, not Navy. ;)

Is that a Navy course you're taking or a private entity?

The GOV pain for mine, too... tax payer, though, not Navy. ;)

Is that a Navy course you're taking or a private entity?

I am taking the Navy's IT System Administration course, which coveres topics such as switching and routing (CCENT stuff), Active directory, and Security +. I will get the Security + certification from the course.

@ adam - yes, a (correct) static route gets you off your current network even if no gateway is specified.

Yep, that's my understanding of it. It just seems odd that the instructor would think you could not get to a public IP from a private one with no gateway and a static route. Weird.

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

Unless that course is VERY HEAVY on Cisco ICND1 and 2 (eventually), you will have a very hard time with the Cisco cert test. Get yourself some direct assistance... and I don't mean that Cisco Network Academy do-do.

These are well worth the price. Get 'em! This is what you need: http://www.ciscopres...n-9781587143786

Search around. You can find some good deals on this combo (it is 2 complete textbooks), which covers the ICND1 and ICND2 exams. This is the Cisco "official" publication. It's the newer version.

The examinations changed in October of 2013, so the exams you take won't be the same ones I took. The trolls under the academy worked hard to get their vinegary, moldy extra potato ration for the new exams. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Also, start drilling using practice tests a month or more before you plan to take the exam. Cisco provides some practice on the Net Academy site, but there are numerous other online sites with practice exams. If you buy that official cert guide above, I think it comes with a PearsonVue (the company that administers the exam vouchers) practice test subscription. There are disks that come with the books with practice tests, also.

Experience talking here now, Adam. The ICND1 (CCENT) is no stroll through the park. Believe me. Your home networking and minimal Navy networking experience will provide you NOTHING in preparation for this exam. I saw some very motivated, very intelligent, very disciplined people fail the ICND1 multiple times even though they had intense bootcamp style training before hand. I squeaked by on my first take, as you may remember. I was sincerely surprised when the PASS came up on the computer screen in front of me after I had completed the exam.

Simulations are a large part of that exam. My CLI experience saved me. If you're not HOT to TROT on the Cisco IOS command line, you will fail. Use that simulator. Find labs to create and troubleshoot. There used to be a fellow on LinkedIn in the Cisco group that posted daily labs. If you have a LinkedIn account, join all the Cisco groups you can. There are many helpful folks and lots of study materials there.

Anyway, not trying to scare you. You'll do fine. I'm just trying to tone down your cockiness. Cisco cert exams will humble your ascii right quick like. Now, CompTia cert exams... PFFFFFT! You could pass them with half your brain tied behind your back. ;)

Experience talking here now, Adam. The ICND1 (CCENT) is no stroll through the park. Believe me. Your home networking and minimal Navy networking experience will provide you NOTHING in preparation for this exam. I saw some very motivated, very intelligent, very disciplined people fail the ICND1 multiple times even though they had intense bootcamp style training before hand. I squeaked by on my first take, as you may remember. I was sincerely surprised when the PASS came up on the computer screen in front of me after I had completed the exam.

I expect it to be hard. I am trying to find information on the network academy and how it correlates to the two exams. I think I'd be more comfortable taking them separately, but time is not on my side.Every year I take a 175 question advancement exam that melts my brain. Tests do not scare me. I don't expect the CompTIA ones to be difficult at all. I know the Navy is going for a minimum level of training to get us up to speed, but this is one of the higher failure rate courses the Navy offers.

I'm wired for this kind of stuff, though. I have a very methodical mind, and one of my favorite skills is the ability to visualize things in my mind. It's helped me a lot in the last 13 years. :)

Adam

V.T. Eric Layton

I think I could pass the A+ whilst in a coma. That one is a complete joke.

CompTia Networking+ is pretty laughable, too.

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm wired for this kind of stuff, though. I have a very methodical mind, and one of my favorite skills is the ability to visualize things in my mind. It's helped me a lot in the last 13 years. :)

Same here. Yet, it didn't help me much on the Cisco exams. The passing score I got on the ICND1 exam was the lowest test score I've probably ever made on an exam of any sort in my entire life. The exam has nothing to do with logic or analytical problem solving. They're all about rote memorization of Cisco IOS, practical use of that knowledge in setting-up/t-shooting networks, sub-netting procedures, and a little bit of basic networking technical baloney.

You can be the sharpest tack in the box (my entire class of 8 students was hand-picked out of 150+ applicants as being the most likely to be able to pass the exam... only 2 of us passed), and it won't help you a bit if you're not prepared as CISCO wants you to be prepared. Find out what's on those exams. Get the Cisco Cert Library I linked to above, blow all the superfluous sheet out of you brain and focus on exactly what CISCO wants you to know to pass that exam. That's how you'll pass it.

Anyway, when do you intend to take the exam? Don't wait too long. That stuff you cram in your head won't stay there for long. Fast input usually equals fast loss.

Anyway, when do you intend to take the exam? Don't wait too long. That stuff you cram in your head won't stay there for long. Fast input usually equals fast loss.

That's the part I don't know yet.

Adam

Good luck (although it sounds like you won't need it)!

I will need to somehow not mess up subnetting (like I did on the practice test).

V.T. Eric Layton

About that sub-netting...

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Get the idea? :)

Good luck on the test!

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, only if you want to have that cool Cisco wallet card and super-secret sub-netting decoder ring. ;)

g5XW6sv.png

decoder-ring.jpg

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! Don't laugh. At the facility where I took my Cisco exams, they have lockers. You have to empty out your pockets and take off all jewelry and watches. They inspect your eye glasses, if you use them. You're issued an erasable pen and a laminated 8" x 11.5" "scratch paper." You have to turn in the pen and paper in as you leave the room.

Heh! Don't laugh. At the facility where I took my Cisco exams, they have lockers. You have to empty out your pockets and take off all jewelry and watches. They inspect your eye glasses, if you use them. You're issued an erasable pen and a laminated 8" x 11.5" "scratch paper." You have to turn in the pen and paper in as you leave the room.

Sounds like my normal advancement exam. ;)

Adam