Massive Security Bug In OpenSSL

sunrat

I have not had any of the web sites I frequent contact me suggesting I change my password.

I've gotten two so far. One from an online store, and the other from an app developer. I'd think I would get more.

Adam

I heard something somewhere that one of the BSDs was going to tear the code down and sift through the code with a fine tooth comb.

I can't look it up here in class, since our internet access is heaviliy filtered.

Seems to me that the initial 'rush of panic' has been overtaken by admins realizing that wait-a-sec , that version range of OpenSSL is not in operation or that the firewall is taking care of protecting the site. If you look at what it took for the Moscow group to break into the CloudFlare server to get the keys , one finds the CloudFlare firewall was not setup to detect repeated knocking and that it took the Moscow over 9 hours with optimal setups for getting the keys.

So, not that the code goof isn't/wasn't a problem, just the real world facts are such that a lot less people were effected.

btw: i keep reading that a Heartbleed siphoning can not be detected, it seems to me the logs can be checked to see if there dozens of attempts to connect to within a minute. Why a firewall setup would allow for that to begin with is another question :)

Good point. I think it was meant to be said that the server would not have any logs of the "intrusion" but mentioned nothing about firewalls. The attacker would need to send malformed UDP packets to the server. As far as I know, TLS over UDP is not something that is widely used, so the firewall could be easily set to block UDP TLS packets.