30 terminal emulators

abarbarian

Terminal emulators, also called console or terminal applications, are programs which facilitate access to the shell, and usually offer user-friendly features like profiles, scrollback history, backgrounds and transparency effects, font configuration, tabs, mouse support and so on.

This is a reference which currently overviews 30 terminal emulators available in Linux. Most of them offer pretty much the same features, while others offer unique features or behave differently.

http://www.tuxarena.com/intro/ref_term.php

I quite like the look and sound of Terminology and Eterm :shifty:

securitybreach

Eh, I still prefer urxvt (rxvt-unicode)... I wonder why they decided to trick some of them out and leave others ugly. Most everyone of those can do transparency and such but they only show a couple of them customized.

Urxvt didn't even get a screenshot but unlike some of those, it can do real transparency.

Eh, I still prefer urxvt (rxvt-unicode)... I wonder why they decided to trick some of them out and leave others ugly. Most everyone of those can do transparency and such but they only show a couple of them customized.

Urxvt didn't even get a screenshot but unlike some of those, it can do real transparency.

Quite hard to get a picture of a transparent object. :fish:

securitybreach

Quite hard to get a picture of a transparent object. :fish:

Right.... B)

I mean where you can see a window under the window instead of seeing just the desktop.

I'll use any terminal that doesn't display the background and the text in the same color. Don't laugh - some of the Xfce themes do this including the default Xfce desktop theme in Debian Wheezy

• Like 1

securitybreach

I'll use any terminal that doesn't display the background and the text in the same color. Don't laugh - some of the Xfce themes do this including the default Xfce desktop theme in Debian Wheezy

Luckily this is easily changed.....

Yeah just change the theme to adwaita and the whole thing goes away. Kinda makes you wonder why it was set up this way in the first place though. :wassat-huh:

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

30 terminal emulators? That's like polygamy. One wife is more than enough. How could anyone ever need 30 of them. ;)

I use good ol' Xfce Terminal, but I do have Konsole, XTerm, and UXTerm installed.

I've never experienced this problem in Xfce4 in Slackware. I wonder what Debian is doing differently?

30 terminal emulators? That's like polygamy. One wife is more than enough. How could anyone ever need 30 of them. ;)

I use good ol' Xfce Terminal, but I do have Konsole, XTerm, and UXTerm installed.

I've never experienced this problem in Xfce4 in Slackware. I wonder what Debian is doing differently?

It's a theme problem I think. On my machines the default Debian theme gives a terminal that is black text-black background. Good for security I suppose.

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... that sounds like a bug of some sort. When I change themes in xfce4 in Slackware it does not affect xfce-terminal other than the windows decorations. The text and background are determined by my settings within the xfce-terminal preferences; currently I'm using just plain ol' black type on white background, but I can change colors, fonts, etc (see screenie).

xfce-term_prefs-031514_zps9871adbb.png

It's a theme problem I think.

More of a designer problem I recon. Probably done by some infantile peabrain who has been to university and is so full of themselves that they actually believe that they are making improvements. You see it in all aspects of modern day life. :whistling:

• Like 1