A Different Viewpoint

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I'm in Win 7 using IE 11 to view the board tonight. WOW! Does it look funny... in a weird way. I'm just not used to IE's fonts and sizes, etc. Strange.

I rarely use IE. The only time I fire it up is to help someone.

I still haven't updated to 11. I have 10 on the three Win 7 computers.

Considering that IE 11 fell pretty fast at Pwn2Own, I don't feel I missing much in the way of security by sticking with 10.

Guest LilBambi

Of course that was IE11 on Win8.1 ... they didn't say whether it fared any better on Win7.

On that first day, they also managed to break into Firefox and a couple Adobe products too though within 5 minutes apparently:

Internet Explorer wasn’t the only application that got hacked during day 1 of Pwn2Own, as Firefox, Adobe Flash, and Adobe Reader security systems have also been breached by researchers in approximately 5 minutes.

V.T. Eric Layton

@ Erik... no, not sick. Just too lazy to reboot into Slackware after I had been playing around with Call of Duty 4 in Windows. ;)

@ Fran... about those browsers all going down so fast and in so many different ways... if you challenge some of the best brains out there in the world to hack something, they're invariably going to shred it pretty quickly; especially with the $ incentive that goes along with the bragging rights. It is a good way for these software companies to see where all the holes are in their Swiss cheese apps. They ought to have competitions like this for credit card security, banking security, government database security, etc. They'd probably be shocked at how fast their walls were breached, too.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Oh, yeah! And it's great for the software devs and the users!

And you are right. They should have ones like that for folks who handle our money ... ain't gonna happen. ;) Might get egg on their faces.

Time to install Firefox on Windows 7, Eric. The only time I *ever* use IE is to install Firefox on a new Windows install, or to troubleshoot when one of my "clients" has installed 6 search bars and Search Conduit.

V.T. Eric Layton

Myeh... originally, when I installed 7 on my laptop the first time, I wanted to keep it as pure a Microsoft experience as I could. I wanted to test and learn the OS so that I wouldn't be in the dark when my family and friends started whining about having issues with their new computers. Gotta' stay up-to-date, you know. Later, when I installed 7 on my main system, it was primarily for gaming. I rarely ever access the Internet via MS Windows. I just happened to check it out last night for the reasons of laziness that I mentioned. Usually, I would have rebooted into Slackware after I was finished gaming in 7.

Time to install Firefox on Windows 7, Eric. The only time I *ever* use IE is to install Firefox on a new Windows install, or to troubleshoot when one of my "clients" has installed 6 search bars and Search Conduit.

Call me paranoid but I install FF from a usb stick on a new Windows install.

@Eric COD4 neat game. :Smiley-IPB-400:

• Like 1

Call me paranoid but I install FF from a usb stick on a new Windows install.

That's what I just did on mother's new laptop. I'm sure it's probably an over-reaction, but I just don't like to use IE. Edited by ebrke
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

@Eric COD4 neat game. :Smiley-IPB-400:

Yup. It looked pretty spiffy. I had issues with the keyboard controls again, though. I may play it sometime in the future. My pal Mike took it today, but we often swap games back and forth. He'll still have it when I want to play it.

I'm actually thinking of running through FarCry2 again. I don't know why. I guess being a heartless mercenary kinda' grows on me. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Aww... you guys are such wussies. I bought meat from the local Walmart today where they had the tainted (with LSD) beef steak just last week. I asked, but they told me they were all out of the LSD stuff today. I had to settle for boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead. :(

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/03/10/Florida-family-gets-sick-from-LSD-tainted-meat/9171394460630/

V.T. Eric Layton

Far Cry 2 is neat too. Can be a tad repetetive. :yes:

An I have trouble driving.

Yes. I read a description of the game from a gaming forum the other night. I had to laugh. It was so accurate. The poster said, "Remember how the game was the first 20 minutes that you played it? Well, it's just like that for the next two weeks." ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Far Cry and Far Cry 2 were absolutely amazing! I had to play it on someone else's computer, but wow! It was gorgeous!

Yes. The original FarCry was waaaay ahead of its time, graphically speaking. Most games at that time only coded out distance visuals for about maybe 100 yards or so. FarCry coded out for over 1000 meters. You could stand on one mountaintop in FarCry and see the leaves moving on the trees on the next mountaintop over. It was absolutely AWESOME! The story got a wee bit weird in the second half, though, with the mutant Dr. Moreau type creatures running around, bouncing, and swinging through the forest. FarCry2 is much more mundane; just a malarial mercenary running around killing anything that moves. ;)