Happy 12th Birthday Archlinux

securitybreach

securitybreach

The early years

Judd Vinet, a Canadian programmer and occasional guitarist, began developing Arch Linux in early 2001. Its first formal release, Arch Linux 0.1, was on March 11, 2002. Inspired by the elegant simplicity of Slackware, Polish Linux Distribution, and CRUX, and yet disappointed with their lack of package management at the time; Vinet built his own distribution on similar principles as those distros. But, he also wrote a package management program called pacman, to automatically handle package installation, removal, and upgrades.

The middle years

The early Arch community grew steadily, as evidenced by this chart of forum posts, users, and bug reports. Moreover, it was from its early days known as an open, friendly, and helpful community.

The dawning of the age of A. Griffin

In late 2007, Judd Vinet retired from active participation as an Arch developer, and smoothly transferred the reins over to American programmer Aaron Griffin, aka Phrakture, who remains the lead Arch developer to this day.

Over the years, the Arch community continued to grow and mature, and has recently received an unusual amount of attention and review for a Linux distro of its modest size.

Arch developers remain unpaid, part-time volunteers, and there are no prospects for monetizing Arch Linux, so it will remain free in all senses of the word. Those curious to peruse more detail about Arch's development history can browse the Arch entry in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

https://wiki.archlin...y_of_Arch_Linux

Arch Linux 0.1 (Homer) released

2002-03-11 - Judd Vinet

I've finally got a bootable iso image on the ftp site. The bad news is that you don't get a pretty interactive installer. But if you wanted one of those, you would have gone with RedHat, right? ;)

Here's a short list of some future plans for 0.2:

• Document ABS (Arch Build System) and provide a cvs-like update method so people can start building their own packages.
  • Finish the contrib area and start posting third-party packages.
  • Finish pacman 1.2 -- this will allow you to update your entire system with the latest stable version of all packages, all with one command.
  • Add a pretty interactive installer. ;)
  • Add more documentation -- our docs really suck right now. Please! If you have questions, just ask! Also, if you want to help out in any way, please let me know. I'm a student so my free time comes and goes at the will of my evil profs.

I'll try to get the docs up for ABS (Arch Build System) which, IMHO, is one of the best advantages of Arch. With ABS, you can easily create new packages, and it's trivial to rebuild existing packages with your own customizations.

And on that note, if you start to use the ABS and build your own packages, I welcome your submissions. My "development team" is working on a contrib area as we speak. ;)

https://www.archlinu...homer-released/

V.T. Eric Layton

Happy Birthday, young Arch Linux! You had some great inspiration in the beginning there. You'll grow up to be a really super-dooper distribution one of these days. :yes:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Happy Birthday, young Arch Linux! You had some great inspiration in the beginning there. You'll grow up to be a really super-dooper distribution one of these days. :yes:

Yeah well, we all know Slackware is the oldest distro still being developed. Slackware is 21 now I believe..... B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Slackware and Debian are getting pretty old. They're starting to display symptoms of MCI... mild cognitive impairment. ;)

• Like 2

Slackware and Debian are getting pretty old. They're starting to display symptoms of MCI... mild cognitive impairment. ;)

Not to mention their installers..... :happyroll: :wacko:

• Like 2

securitybreach

An old one but so true!!

From the lead developer of Archlinux:

]"Relying on complex tools to manage and build your system is going to hurt the end users. [...] "If you try to hide the complexity of the system, you'll end up with a more complex system". Layers of abstraction that serve to hide internals are never a good thing. Instead, the internals should be designed in a way such that they NEED no hiding." --- Aaron Griffin[/b]

http://phraktured.net/arch-way.html

• Like 1

I love KDE since they fixed it LOL!

I'm having a minimalistic phase. KDE is very pretty an I could be persuaded to use it apart from the fact that the KDE package is bigger than some os's. :whistling:

I don't think I've ever seen a nicer version of KDE 4 than Mageia puts out...but I'm still not tempted to use it. I go in and play with it in VirtualBox once in a while. There has never been an easier DE for me to screw up a display with and then my only solution is:

thumb463x_medium_banhammerpicfeb25.jpg

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I love KDE since they fixed it LOL!

I ran KDE again last year after a long hiatus from that WM. I found it to be much more stable and usable than the previous 4.x versions had been. However, being a bit of a minimalist, I went back to Xfce4 when I upgraded to Slackware 14.1 a few months ago. The difference this time is I also allowed Slack to install the entire KDE base and lib files, so I have all the KDE apps included in my Xfce4 menu. I like K3b, Ocular, etc.

But...But...I was referring to human rather than graphics installers. :oops: :bangin:

Ah! Seems I just proved your point. ;)