Backing Up Vista

Fuddster

I was recently tasked with resurrecting my mother-in-law's laptop after a catastrophic hard drive failure. Thanks to a new hard drive and some awesome advice, I was able to get the laptop up and running. Unfortunately, all her files were lost, not to mention the recovery partition.

In an effort to prevent the same thing from happening again, I want to image the current state of the drive, and provide her with a way to backup her stuff. Her machine is a Toshiba Satellite L305 with a Celeron 585 CPU and 1 GB of SDRAM, running Vista SP2 (32 bit).

I can handle imaging the drive with a Clonezilla live cd or any of the other live utility cds out there. I'm just out of touch with Windows software and I'm looking for suggestions for some decent, free backup software that can be used on this older laptop. I'm hoping to be able to pick her up an external USB hard drive (and teaching her how to use it!) for her birthday in July.

Thanks!

This is actually one of the ones I found when I put my googles on, but haven't heard of it since I traded in Windows for linux 3 years ago. I'm hoping to be able to get this machine back to my mother-in-law this weekend, so maybe I'll give Todo Backup a shot and see how I make out.

Thanks, Bambi!