Is it just me or is windows 8.1 really slow for all users?

larrynose

Hello,

I wonder if it's the same for everyone as well. Is it really the fastest windows version available?

If so, why is the OS running slow? I was using windows 7 ultimate n edition previously and I find that booting straight into a real desktop is way better than the tablet kind of thing that windows 8 does. IE10 is a joke. Live ID account set to be the user account?! I am still trying to get used to windows 8 but the boot time stumps me.

What do you guys think?

It is just you - or your hardware. The one thing all my users and I myself do notice to W8 benefit is that it is faster in boot ups and in doing vast majority of items in desktop mode. Though IE does seem flaky in lots of readings i've seen.

Guest LilBambi

What hardware is it installed on? What processor, how much RAM, what video card.

Was this an upgrade to a computer that had Windows 7 or is it a new computer that came with Windows 8.

Hello,

I wonder if it's the same for everyone as well. Is it really the fastest windows version available?

If so, why is the OS running slow? I was using windows 7 ultimate n edition previously and I find that booting straight into a real desktop is way better than the tablet kind of thing that windows 8 does. IE10 is a joke. Live ID account set to be the user account?! I am still trying to get used to windows 8 but the boot time stumps me.

What do you guys think?

Do you have the "Fastboot" option turned on? Most people find Win 8 boots very fast but don't realize this is due primarily to that feature. Fastboot, is actually a form of hibernation. Just don't use it if you are dual booting because that can cause disk corruption because Fastboot doesn't close all of the open files. Edited by lewmur

Hello,

My desktop PC at home boots up to the login screen in around 10-15 seconds and shuts down in 5-10 seconds. In that respect, it seems slightly faster than Windows 7. I had hibernation and sleep disabled on systems, so these were cold boot/shutdown times.

There are lots of reasons a computer might be slow on boot-up, ranging from hardware to software to networking issues.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

What hardware is it installed on? What processor, how much RAM, what video card.

Was this an upgrade to a computer that had Windows 7 or is it a new computer that came with Windows 8.

Its a new laptop with windows8 on it running core i5(4th gen),1TB HD,6gb DDR RAM with AMD Radeon HD 8670M, Intel HD.

Guest LilBambi

Have you tried running JRT on it to see if it has Conduit, Smartbar, and any of a bazillion other crapware on it from surfing the web?

If you find that JRT finds and removes some stuff, then run AdwCleaner and then Malwarebytes Antimalware.

NOTE: You may want to download each of these three and print the page listed above to give you instructions on their use.

NOTE: I have listed the download pages for each from BleepingComputer because the pages I have linked to for each above, also have instructions for their use as well as links to known safe download locations for the programs.

Usually, if a new computer originally started out running fast and now does not, the above can really help.

In addition, I would strongly suggest that you run CCleaner (just the cleaner side not the registry side) to get rid of built up temporary internet files, etc.

I run this every day when I close my browser to make sure any bad stuff that comes down from browsing doesn't get inserted into the system.

BTW: What browser are you using on that Windows 8 computer?

If it is Internet Explorer, I would suggest changing your default browser to Google Chrome or Firefox.

Both Google Chrome and Firefox should likely have the following extensions installed: Adblock Plus (with block malware sites turned on), and WOT (Web Of Trust) to have some help on knowing what search results are likely to be safer (just a rule of thumb really but helpful). Both are available from addons/extensions library search in each of the browsers.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Even if you don't change to another browser, please get and run the trio: JRT, AdwCleaner, and Malwarebytes Antimalware. And run a cleaner like CCleaner frequently.

NOTE: Be sure to UNcheck any toolbars (Bing bar, etc), security programs (McAfee, etc), browsers (Google Chrome, etc.) that CCleaner may try to install during it's installation.

It's amazing how slow a computer with crapware on it can get.

It's like turning a speed demon computer into a 486 computer!

Pretty decent hardware. I wouldn't expect to see major speed issues with it in normal use. My gen 2 i5 desktop is plenty speedy with Windows 7. I have another desktop with Linux and a quad core AMD A8 and it is blazing fast.

Guest LilBambi

Exactly raymac! Which is why I am thinking the computer got hit with some crapware.

It's surprising how slow a speedy computer can be with a cocktail of Conduit etc.

Hello,

You didn't mention the model of the laptop, but most of the 1TB HDDs I have seen for notebooks are 5400 RPM drives, and not the faster 7200 RPM speeds seen in lower capacity drives (or the full-size drives used in desktops). The small platters and areal density of the hard disk drive means that sequential readers will still be quite fast, although random reads will probably be a bit slower.

Based on your description of the notebook's hardware, which sounds reasonably current, my initial thought is a software-related issue.

Can you tell us what you have done so far, and what exact symptoms you have seen of the slowness?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Have you tried running JRT on it to see if it has Conduit, Smartbar, and any of a bazillion other crapware on it from surfing the web?

NOTE: You may want to download each of these three and print the page listed above to give you instructions on their use.

NOTE: I have listed the download pages for each from BleepingComputer because the pages I have linked to for each above, also have instructions for their use as well as links to known safe download locations for the programs.

Usually, if a new computer originally started out running fast and now does not, the above can really help.

In addition, I would strongly suggest that you run CCleaner (just the cleaner side not the registry side) to get rid of built up temporary internet files, etc.

I run this every day when I close my browser to make sure any bad stuff that comes down from browsing doesn't get inserted into the system.

BTW: What browser are you using on that Windows 8 computer?

If it is Internet Explorer, I would suggest changing your default browser to Google Chrome or Firefox.

Both Google Chrome and Firefox should likely have the following extensions installed: Adblock Plus (with block malware sites turned on), and WOT (Web Of Trust) to have some help on knowing what search results are likely to be safer (just a rule of thumb really but helpful). Both are available from addons/extensions library search in each of the browsers.

It's like turning a speed demon computer into a 486 computer!

I use Firefox primarily; IE rarely. I've run MBAM and ad cleaner previously to fix an unresponsive Firefox(corrine helped). It was fine later. But I have run them again and JRT picked a few crap which have been duly removed.

Startup is still slow though...

And hey, got my mac back all cleaned up. going about installing the av's.

Hello,

You didn't mention the model of the laptop, but most of the 1TB HDDs I have seen for notebooks are 5400 RPM drives, and not the faster 7200 RPM speeds seen in lower capacity drives (or the full-size drives used in desktops). The small platters and areal density of the hard disk drive means that sequential readers will still be quite fast, although random reads will probably be a bit slower.

Based on your description of the notebook's hardware, which sounds reasonably current, my initial thought is a software-related issue.

Can you tell us what you have done so far, and what exact symptoms you have seen of the slowness?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

It's a DELL. Had no issues until I noticed recently that the booting was taking an awful lot of time. Of late, I've seen the black screen appear a few times after the initial dell logo screen and all activity stalls. Have to wait a while before the login screen appears. The waiting times are random though. Sometimes it's not too bad, other times its quite an annoying wait. I haven't done anything other than clean up pups. All S/W's are updated. Drivers are up to date as well.

About the mac..I ran the scans before taking it to the store. Didn't pick anything. Everything appeared clean.

Guest LilBambi

I use Firefox primarily; IE rarely. I've run MBAM and ad cleaner previously to fix an unresponsive Firefox(corrine helped). It was fine later. But I have run them again and JRT picked a few crap which have been duly removed.

Excellent on getting the Mac back all cleaned up and getting it locked down. You can use CCleaner for the Mac too! I sprung for Main Menu myself; the pro version is still less than $20 and has greater capabilities. But the CCleaner for the Mac also does a very nice job for free.

Now that JRT has taken care of some things, you should go back and do AdwCleaner and then Malwarebytes Antimalware again.

Guest LilBambi

If that doesn't help, there may be something more deeply embedded on the system slowing it down.

Have you tried temporarily using MSConfig to only load MS startup items?

You may also want to let Corrine or John look at your log files...I have asked them to come take a peak in the topic.

Edited by LilBambi

Yeah, it's a mess! I run NoScript on Firefox and it helps to prevent a lot of that crapware.

Sadly many people don't want the inconvenience of running an extension like NoScript. To me it's a must.

Me too, but I know I couldn't try that on my mother's laptop. I do insist that she run a standard user account. She doesn't know the password for the account with admin privileges. I don't want to be mean, but she has had very little trouble, and I think the limited user account plus security software is the reason.

It's a DELL. Had no issues until I noticed recently that the booting was taking an awful lot of time. Of late, I've seen the black screen appear a few times after the initial dell logo screen and all activity stalls. Have to wait a while before the login screen appears. The waiting times are random though. Sometimes it's not too bad, other times its quite an annoying wait. I haven't done anything other than clean up pups. All S/W's are updated. Drivers are up to date as well.

About the mac..I ran the scans before taking it to the store. Didn't pick anything. Everything appeared clean.

Good news about the Mac. I'm glad at least that problem was solved.

As to your Windows 8.1 machine, I looked at your thread at Sysnative again. After removing the PUPs, it seemed that everything was back to normal. Although not everyone runs into a problem with McAfee slowing things down, it might be the the source of the slowness you are experiencing. If you are willing to experiment with replacing McAfee with Windows Defender, please do the following:

1. Make sure to note your McAfee license information.

2. Uninstall McAfee -- for additional information, including instructions for Windows 8, see http://service.mcafe...033&id=TS101331

3. Restart your computer.

4. If Windows Defender is not automatically re-enabled, do the following:

• Type Action Center and click Settings to open Action Center.
  • Click on Security to expand the Security area.
  • Wait a minute to let the Security area refresh to show Security vulnerabilities.
  • You should see a message to Turn on now for Windows Defender. Click the Turn on now button.
  • Make sure Windows Firewall is also turned on.
  • In Defender, click the Update tab, and then click the Update button.

Let us know if this makes a difference.

In the event you are not willing to replace McAfee with Windows Defender, please let me know and I'll ask for a different Zoek log.

Guest LilBambi

Thanks Corrine!

Wow, didn't realize McAfee was on the system or I would have recommended removing it and using Windows Defender/Windows Firewall too.

Amazing how slow those big antivirus programs can make a new computer!

If that doesn't help, there may be something more deeply embedded on the system slowing it down.

Have you tried temporarily using MSConfig to only load MS startup items?

You may also want to let Corrine or John look at your log files...I have asked them to come take a peak in the topic.

Forgot to mention the model yesterday. Its and Inspiron 15R.

I had tried the msconfig route, no change at all.

Ran the

Good news about the Mac. I'm glad at least that problem was solved.

As to your Windows 8.1 machine, I looked at your thread at Sysnative again. After removing the PUPs, it seemed that everything was back to normal. Although not everyone runs into a problem with McAfee slowing things down, it might be the the source of the slowness you are experiencing. If you are willing to experiment with replacing McAfee with Windows Defender, please do the following:

1. Make sure to note your McAfee license information.

2. Uninstall McAfee -- for additional information, including instructions for Windows 8, see http://service.mcafe...033&id=TS101331

3. Restart your computer.

4. If Windows Defender is not automatically re-enabled, do the following:

• Type Action Center and click Settings to open Action Center.
  • Click on Security to expand the Security area.
  • Wait a minute to let the Security area refresh to show Security vulnerabilities.
  • You should see a message to Turn on now for Windows Defender. Click the Turn on now button.
  • Make sure Windows Firewall is also turned on.
  • In Defender, click the Update tab, and then click the Update button.

Let us know if this makes a difference.

In the event you are not willing to replace McAfee with Windows Defender, please let me know and I'll ask for a different Zoek log.

Ok. Something happened today. While the system was booting, a "preparing automatic repair" screen flashed, followed by a "diagnosing your pc....windows couldn't load correctly..restore system option" and then after about 30 mins, it booted back to the login screen. Does that mean its got something to do with BIOS? Cos I updated BIOS fairly recently.

I thought I would run my subscription to McAfee to its end in about 10 months. But, if there's no work-around, I am willing to let it go as long as that annoying wait time gets resolved.

And thanks again Corrine!

I would wait to hear from Corrine or Fran, but this sounds ominous to me. Your O/S may have been corrupted and the only way out I know of is to use the recovery disk to nuke and repave Windows (reformat, reinstall.)

Guest LilBambi

Forgot to mention the model yesterday. Its and Inspiron 15R.

I had tried the msconfig route, no change at all.

Ok. Something happened today. While the system was booting, a "preparing automatic repair" screen flashed, followed by a "diagnosing your pc....windows couldn't load correctly..restore system option" and then after about 30 mins, it booted back to the login screen. Does that mean its got something to do with BIOS? Cos I updated BIOS fairly recently.

Hmmm, it is beginning to sound like a hard drive or controller on the motherboard that might be failing. And that would also answer why the system became very slow with no apparent reason for the slowness. Like it is tripping over itself.

Some searches on that Dell model Inspiron 15R regarding hard drive failures and automatic repair (some reporting looping automatic repair) are not encouraging. I hope I am wrong in that assessment...Maybe John will be able to shed further light on this.

Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

From this link in Step Four:

Thoroughly test your Hard Disk

SeaTools is free diagnostic tool that can completely test your hard drive regardless of the OS installed on it. The tool is provided by Seagate but it works with non-Seagate disk drives as well.

To get started, you need to download the ISO image of SeaTools for DOS and create a bootable CD. Now boot the computer with the CD in the drive, accept the license agreement and run a long test (the full scan). If any defects are found, a list will be offered at the end or after aborting the disk scan.

Other computer vendors /disk manufactures including Samsung, Hitachi,Toshiba (Fujitsu), Western Digital, Lenovo, Dell, etc. too offer diagnostic tools that work only with their own brand of hard drives. If you are having frequent computer problems (like system hangs or fails to boot up), you may run these tools to confirm if the problems are hard drive related.

Guest LilBambi

Before running hard drive diagnostics, one should backup any data/personal files (docs, pics, music, etc.).

I am still hoping Corrine pops back in, and also hoping John will pop in here.

Hi -

How old is the system?

If still under warranty, have you contacted Dell Support?

Your system should boot up in <30 seconds. Windows 8 boot is different than Windows 7 & its predecessors -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn168169.aspx

The start-up/repair screen does indicate that OS corruption has occurred.

If you don't mind, please run this app (steps 1-4) -- it gathers system information. I'd like to see if the output yields any clues -

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-crashes-kernel-debugging/68-blue-screen-of-death-blue-screen-of-death-posting-instructions-windows-8-1-8-7-and-windows-vista.html

Upload the zipped file(s) to OneDrive or other hosting site, please -

https://onedrive.live.com/

I agree 100% with McAfee removal. A new core i7 system here was slowed down considerably by McAfee that came pre-installed on it. I used the McAfee Removal Tool, then installed ESET.

McAfee Removal Tool - http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

• Like 1

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I just bought the notebook 5 months ago.

Its still under warranty, but I haven't contacted Dell Support yet. Would be making a call tomorrow though.

I did run the Dell Diagnostic today and it said no problems were found. And right after that the "Automatic Repair" thing started off and stalled pretty much at the black screen for over 30 mins before the login appeared. So yeah, looks like the O/S is in a bad way.

I have run the tools you suggested. I have uploaded the zipped file and messaged you the link on here.

I'll start with the mcafee removal and install ESET.

Thank you.

Hi -

Thank you very much for the files!

You had 5 BSODs over a 3 day period starting on 6 March 2014.

All had bugcheck 0x113 - indicates that the Direct X kernel detected a violation; listed Intel chipset/on-board video as the probable cause -

igdkmd64.sys         Wed Dec 18 15:49:12 2013 (52B20A48)

http://sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=igdkmd64.sys

There are several driver updates available from Dell, including the above Intel driver; not sure if yours is in fact updated or not.

Update all drivers from the Dell Support site - Product support for Inspiron 15R 5537

BIOS is current.

Are you over-clocked? The dumps report:

MaxSpeed:     1600
CurrentSpeed: 2295

I see possible issues involving both McAfee and Bluetooth. Their respective drivers appear to be constantly loading in and out of RAM, which in and of itself is not unusual, but IMO, the number of occurrences looks odd to me.

Furthermore Bluetooth is listed under "Problem Devices". The first is listed as simply "device won't start"; #2 & #3 - device can't start due to driver issues:

Bluetooth Audio Device                      BTHENUM\{61118058-486C-4BB0-B4B8-ACE4DCADEC44}_LOCALMFG&0000\8&29694ABF&0&000000000000_00000000    This device cannot start.
Virtual Bluetooth Support (Include Audio)          BTHENUM\{CBECAB40-A2C8-4AB3-ADC1-DE0FE95D8600}_LOCALMFG&0000\8&29694ABF&0&000000000000_00000000    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.
Bluetooth LWFLT Device                      BTHENUM\{DD533152-01F4-435C-ABFE-984BC21A2A65}_LOCALMFG&0000\8&29694ABF&0&000000000000_00000000    This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device.

Did you disable Bluetooth?

If not, please check the above Dell Support page for drivers; if found - install them.

If you did disable BT and want it disabled be sure to disable all Bluetooth system services -

-- Press WIN + x keys; select "Command Prompt"; type services.msc

Do you use your AMD Radeon HD 8670M card in addition to Intel or in lieu of? I found ATI video drivers loaded -

atikmpag.sys         Mon Aug 19 12:42:26 2013 (52124AF2)
atikmdag.sys         Mon Aug 19 13:58:45 2013 (52125CD5)

http://sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmdag.sys

http://sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=atikmpag.sys

After seeing the files that I have just gone through (thank you for them, BTW !!), I cannot stress the importance of contacting Dell Support.

BSOD Kernel dump files cannot tell us the exact piece of hardware that is failing or has failed; rather they point in a direction for further examination. Yours seems to somehow involve video, which includes the video card, video RAM, RAM, other hardware parts that support RAMs ability to properly hold kernel code (example: PSU), etc...

That's about all I have at the moment.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

BSOD SUMMARY

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\030814-259203-01.dmp]
Built by: 9600.16452.amd64fre.winblue_gdr.131030-1505
Debug session time: Sat Mar  8 02:15:32.904 2014 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:01:44.812
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DXGADAPTER::SetPowerComponentActiveCB+44 )
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x113
PROCESS_NAME:  System
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x113_dxgkrnl!DXGADAPTER::SetPowerComponentActiveCB
Bugcheck code 00000113
Arguments 00000000`00000017 ffffe000`04512540 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = A06
BiosReleaseDate = 09/27/2013
SystemManufacturer = Dell Inc.
SystemProductName = Inspiron 5537
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\030714-198765-01.dmp]
Debug session time: Fri Mar  7 06:51:39.914 2014 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 4:10:18.823
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for igdkmd64.sys
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DXGADAPTER::SetPowerComponentActiveCB+44 )
Bugcheck code 00000113
Arguments 00000000`00000017 ffffe000`04a01540 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = A06
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\030714-78156-01.dmp]
Debug session time: Fri Mar  7 02:40:54.043 2014 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 2:38:03.952
Bugcheck code 00000113
Arguments 00000000`00000017 ffffe000`04999540 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = A06
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\030714-198062-01.dmp]
Debug session time: Fri Mar  7 00:02:19.198 2014 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 11:57:41.108
Bugcheck code 00000113
Arguments 00000000`00000017 ffffe000`048ad540 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = A06
Loading Dump File [C:\Users\PalmDesert\_jcgriff2_\dbug\__Kernel__\030614-32593-01.dmp]
Debug session time: Thu Mar  6 12:03:59.938 2014 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 7:50:36.842
Bugcheck code 00000113
Arguments 00000000`00000017 ffffe000`046e0540 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000
BiosVersion = A06

J. C. Griffith, Microsoft MVP (jcgriff2)   

[url]http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/John%20C.%20Griffith-4025562[/url]   

[url]www.sysnative.com[/url]

¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨

• Like 1

Hello,

Thank you for the look-in..

I contacted the DELL support and they are of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with the hardware." It's just the OS which needs to be re-installed again after a format.." I am going to keep calling them again and see what they say this time around.

Hi -

Thank you very much for the files!

You had 5 BSODs over a 3 day period starting on 6 March 2014.

All had bugcheck 0x113 - indicates that the Direct X kernel detected a violation; listed Intel chipset/on-board video as the probable cause -

igdkmd64.sys Wed Dec 18 15:49:12 2013 (52B20A48)

http://sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=igdkmd64.sys

There are several driver updates available from Dell, including the above Intel driver; not sure if yours is in fact updated or not.

Update all drivers from the Dell Support site - Product support for Inspiron 15R 5537

BIOS is current.

Are you over-clocked? The dumps report:

MaxSpeed: 1600

Is that over-clocked cpu or gpu? If you mean it was intentional, then no it isn't.

Furthermore Bluetooth is listed under "Problem Devices". The first is listed as simply "device won't start"; #2 & #3 - device can't start due to driver issues:

Did you disable Bluetooth?

If you did disable BT and want it disabled be sure to disable all Bluetooth system services -

-- Press WIN + x keys; select "Command Prompt"; type services.msc

Do you use your AMD Radeon HD 8670M card in addition to Intel or in lieu of? I found ATI video drivers loaded

I did disable Bluetooth once. Guess I didn't turn it back on.

Use AMD Radeon HD 8670M card in addition to Intel.

• 2 months later...

Finally, something to write about. Got all issues solved. Had to re-install the OS and then the drivers. And installed a beta version of the AMD.(For some reason, the Dell laptop was picking up AMD as the primary instead of Intel) . Anyway, that and the order of installation of drivers made a huge difference to the start up.

Thanks guys for the help and thanks to jcgriff for the accurate pointers.

• Like 1